Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plasma No Longer Shows Picture

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a Samsung Plasma HP-T5054 for awhile now, and tonight while just watching TV the display stopped showing a picture even though the TV remained on. Tried unplugging it and turning it back on, switching inputs on the receiver, hitting some of the manual buttons but it looks like nothing will show any more, including any of the TV menus or the standard no signal screens.

Any ideas on what else I can try? A bunch of searches on Google turn up potentially blown capacitors and something about a Y Buffer which is beyond my technical expertise. It's a fairly old set and only 720P, and based on what i'm reading online it sounds like it probably wouldn't be worth spending a couple hundred bucks to try and repair it.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on options, or if it sounds like I should just take it to e-waste and not waste the time on it and buy something new.

Sure wish this happened a week ago in time for Black Friday sales...
Old 12-06-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Plasma No Longer Shows Picture

Welp, went ahead and bought a cheap replacement. Bought a 55" Vizio E series thanks to pretty great reviews for the 2014 line and the low price.

I have the plasma laying around, might try and take it apart or call a repair shop and get a quote or just e-waste it.
Old 12-07-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

You made the correct call on not repairing a plasma that old. It would probably cost a couple hundred to repair without knowing much about the problem. Modern televisions, unless you have sunk thousands in them, just aren't built to be continually repaired like older televisions. Once they break, it's better going with a new one.
Old 12-07-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The end of a dynasty.