Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bought a new TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Bought a new TV

That's just to offset the 3D haters who always say "3d is a useless fad and you shouldn't waste your money on it."
Old 12-03-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Which antenna did you get?
This one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20976616?w...tRedirect=true

I think it was 30 or 40 bucks. I was at Walmart late at night, I struck out on my optical cable, I didn't want to go home without something!
I had seen the Mohu but I wanted to get this locally just in case it wasn't worth the money, so I could return it if needed.

All my wires were hidden behind the old tv so I didn't care - now I may need to do something else

I'll strike a middle ground on the 3d thing, and hope that's where i came out in the beginning - Good 3D is amazing, but right now it's not worth the premium in pricing to me.
Old 12-03-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That's just to offset the 3D haters who always say "3d is a useless fad and you shouldn't waste your money on it."
What about those that get migraines from it?
Old 12-04-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Ahh yes. Forgot about the 3d fanboys that get their panties in a bunch anytime someone has a differing opinion on their precious 3d. Anyone without your particular opinion on a subject is "highly misinformed".
So first your argument is that there has been no good 3D since the 50's. Now it's everyone who enjoys 3D is a witless fanboy.

Also Tuesday for Guardians of the Galaxy 3DBR.
Old 12-04-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
This one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20976616?w...tRedirect=true

I think it was 30 or 40 bucks. I was at Walmart late at night, I struck out on my optical cable, I didn't want to go home without something!
I had seen the Mohu but I wanted to get this locally just in case it wasn't worth the money, so I could return it if needed.

All my wires were hidden behind the old tv so I didn't care - now I may need to do something else

I'll strike a middle ground on the 3d thing, and hope that's where i came out in the beginning - Good 3D is amazing, but right now it's not worth the premium in pricing to me.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Originally Posted by Spiky
What about those that get migraines from it?
3d is a godsend and couldn't possibly cause migraines.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
So first your argument is that there has been no good 3D since the 50's. Now it's everyone who enjoys 3D is a witless fanboy.
If that is what you think, you really should re-read the thread. You seem to have missed a bit.
Old 01-03-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stupid question - I bought a stand that has a mounting thing in it. (this one: http://www.biglots.com/p/50-mounted-wood-tv-stand)
The stand instruction manual says "Plasma/LCD" tv. The TV i got is LED. Does that matter? Can I install an LED TV on an LCD mount?
The TV manual says VESA 400 and M8 bolts, and the stand includes those.

I'm assuming so but of course want to make sure before I put the thing together.
Old 01-04-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure, the display technology has nothing to do with mounting. Weight, and the proper screws are what matters.
Old 01-05-15, 02:05 PM

Which antenna did you get? I have been checking out the Mohu Leaf antennas since I've been following the thread. Those seem to have good reviews. But it does ultimately boil down to location, location, location. Not only where your home is located, but where the antenna is located as well..
I have had the Mohu leaf antenna for about 6 months and very happy with it. I am about 30miles from many TV stations. I had to work with it - try different locations. Get most of the channels ( missing a couple). Nice picture quality HD and nonHD. But I like the fact that I can record shows on my own Magnavox DVR with no fees. ( btw - I do have basic cable for other rooms)
Old 02-12-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Stupid question - I bought a stand that has a mounting thing in it. (this one: http://www.biglots.com/p/50-mounted-wood-tv-stand)
How is that wooden tv stand? Is it good quality/wood? Looks nice.
Old 02-12-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it. Took a little bit to put together but wasn't too tough (I"m not expert at that, and it's been a while), and I needed someone to help me lift the tv onto the mount, but it's nice. The drawer is big enough for 2 Rock Band guitars and a keyboard, and it's modernish enough to not look stuffy without being too Moderne. It seems pretty solid and well built.

Question - Previously I had all my audio (optical cables) going through my receiver. Now I've got many things going through the TV for convenience sake. However, it looks like it downconverts audio, then upconverts audio to go to the receiver? The only 2 audio output settings it always has are PCM and DTS Neo 2:5, which I think is "fake" surround sound. Occasionally it offers Dolby Digital but not always. I routed my BD player and Xbox back to the receiver so I can get multichannel sound as close to the source as possible, but I'm pretty sure somethingi isn't set up optimally. What is PCM and LINE, which should I use, if I send a 5.1 signal to a TV that then outputs DTS Neo 2:5, what does that actually do?
Old 02-13-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PCM is real channels, for however many channels it says. But that may only be 2 available channels through a TV, aka stereo. Neo is always fake (that doesn't mean it is bad), I believe "Neo 2:5" takes 2 channel input and makes 5.1, a TV-specific form of DTS Neo. That TV seems to want to do a lot with DTS, but it does seem like it always wants to modify the sound. Frankly, running direct to a receiver is the best way to get the best sound. If you are willing to deal with the remote/switching issues that can come up.
Old 02-13-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been wondering about that. My room setup is such that I could really install anything surround sound yet, shout I use SRS or just keep the TV in stereo mode? I thought that SRS would sound kind of cool, but it hasn't exactly blown my skirt up so far.
Old 02-13-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman2
I have had the Mohu leaf antenna for about 6 months and very happy with it. I am about 30miles from many TV stations. I had to work with it - try different locations. Get most of the channels ( missing a couple). Nice picture quality HD and nonHD. But I like the fact that I can record shows on my own Magnavox DVR with no fees. ( btw - I do have basic cable for other rooms)
Where did oyu end up putting the antenna?
Old 02-13-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I like it. Took a little bit to put together but wasn't too tough (I"m not expert at that, and it's been a while), and I needed someone to help me lift the tv onto the mount, but it's nice. The drawer is big enough for 2 Rock Band guitars and a keyboard, and it's modernish enough to not look stuffy without being too Moderne. It seems pretty solid and well built.
Awesome. Glad you like it. I like the drawers, keeps the remotes from getting dust. Something which I'm very picky with.
Old 02-14-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I've been wondering about that. My room setup is such that I could really install anything surround sound yet, shout I use SRS or just keep the TV in stereo mode? I thought that SRS would sound kind of cool, but it hasn't exactly blown my skirt up so far.
Well, I always found the fake surround systems from only 2 speakers was so very localized that it was hard to like it. It was fine (sometimes) if you were in the precise position to hear it properly, but move over 3" and it is gone or weird. With two people sitting, neither would be in the right spot. Generally prefer stereo, myself.

But that can be different for every source, too. Each movie or CD is different. So, I'd say, be prepared to change to whatever sounds the best whenever you feel like it.

Last edited by Spiky; 02-14-15 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My sofa has a pocket between the two main seats, big enough for 2 Xbox controllers and one remote
I agree, I don't like having things like that get dusty, or just lying around on top of things.

Since I reduced the number of components, I have BD audio going to the TV and the receiver, everything else (including the TV) going to the receiver. If I'm watching something 2 channels or less, I'll just let the TV upgrade it to 2:5, but I can switch easily to the other input for more 'real' multichannel. I might set the receiver as the default, next time I update my remote.

I consider myself somewhat intermediate level with this stuff, and it confused me. I can't imagine Joe Sixpack having the interest in figuring it out. Then again, the novices probably just plug it in - I know enough to know something's not right/optimal, whereas the vast majority of consumers probably don't care that much.
Old 02-14-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing that doesn't get dusty at my house is the remote. Too much use for that.