Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Warm Deal at SEARS on WEGA...+ WEGA Question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Warm Deal at SEARS on WEGA...+ WEGA Question

Old 11-27-00, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey All,

I finally am replacing my dying 19" television with the 32" Sony WEGA (KV-32FS12). I did a price search on CNET and got a listing of the best prices for the television, which turned out to be $831. I printed this list out and trotted off to the local WIZ, CIRCUIT CITY and BEST BUY. Of course none of these stores would give me this price, and the WIZ even stated that their cost on this TV was $920.

After hearing hints of SEARS price matching in this forum, I thought I would try them. Indeed they gave me the price of $831 and because I opened a SEARS card (interest free till May) they knocked another $10 off.

I thought everyone should know about this price if in the market for such a product.

This leads me to my question. What is your opinion of the extended warranty? They sell it for an additional $200 for five years. I NEVER buy these, but after some people's experience with the WEGA...

Thanks much for any thoughts.
Old 11-28-00, 01:56 AM

I just bought the 27 inch FS12 at Sears. The best price I found was $499. Pricematching was really easy - I just brought in the printout. Then I asked the salesperson about 10% off for using a Sears card (I think they had a sale where you got 10% off for using your card with an existing account earlier in the week) and he gave me both the 10% and the $10 off.

When I asked about the extended warranty, he said it was a Sony so I shouldn't need it. I found that really odd since salespeople at other stores have always been so pushy about the extended warranties.

Sears is definitely the best place to buy electronics.

[This message has been edited by peskoe150 (edited November 27, 2000).]
Old 11-29-00, 10:01 AM

Here is my suggestion on the extended warranty... On one side it's a really good deal. If ANYTHING happens to that TV in the next five years (and when I say anything, I mean anything) - drunken party and someone throws a beer bottle through it, it 'accidently' falls out the window, your dog chews through the cord... ANYTHING - Sears will repair or replace it for free. No questions asked. On the other hand, and I've seen this happen - I work at Sears - if you go in and bitch long enough and loud enough, you'll end up walking out with a new one anyway. It might take a while to talk to the right person, but eventually you'll get to the store manager, and he won't want to be bothered so he'll just give you a new one. I'm deffinitley not suggesting you do this, because it really isn't the right thing to do (and I'm not garunteeing it'll work), but I'll tell you that it is possible. My store recently gave a woman a brand new lawn mower after 8 years because it broke!