Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony WEGA Issues - help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony WEGA Issues - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-00, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting married in 8 months, and in the process, I will be moving up from my 27" Sanyo (not the best for DVD) to a 36" WEGA. I went to Sony.com, and there are like 6 or so different models for the 36" alone - and the specs seem to be the same, gove or take the lack or addition of PIP, etc - here's my question:

I'm basically looking for the best bang for my buck - theres also an XBR series, from what I understand, it deal with digital television capability, and I'm not even sure I want that now - I was wondering what most of the WEGA owners on the board have? I'd like to pick it up either just after the holidays, or around early spring, as with everything else, prices come down as time goes by - but I dont want to miss out on a great TV in the process - plus, I'm a firm believer of hearing things about electronics from other owners as oppossed to sales people - I searched the net, read many reviews, (all good on the WEGAS), but none were model or price specific.

Thanks to all who reply - I know what I want, just want to be sure I get the right one
At the Best Buy, the picture looks absolutely AMAZING!

Rob in NYC

------------------
"Nice Beaver!"
Old 11-27-00, 09:38 AM

I have a 32" FS-12. The FS-12 is the cheapest of the current crop. There is no PIP, and the stereo speakers are small. I could care less about the sound since I use my receiver, and did not want to pay extra money for PIP. I am very happy with the picture quality and it does have a 16x9 mode for watching anamorphic DVDs. The only annoying thing about it is that it does not go into 16x9 mode automatically, and it is not a one button push on the remote to do so. It is highly recommended that you get a service contract with your WEGA.
Old 11-27-00, 09:43 AM

I have the 32-FV WEGA (the step up from the FS). I didn't want to get the XBR because of the money and the fact that I wanted to hold off on buying an HDTV-ready set (as I believe the XBR is, correct me if I'm wrong) until the technology becomes more available. Although it does not have the automatic switching into 16:9 mode, if you have a macro-enabled remote, you can program this to execute the required steps with one button push.

Although I'm not crazy about service contracts, I would highly recommend it on the WEGA. I've had mine for 6 months, and I've already used the service once already. They just don't make 'em like they used to, huh?

------------------
My DVD Collection