Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

11.2 channel Dolby Atmos receivers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

11.2 channel Dolby Atmos receivers

Old 10-30-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: 11.2 channel Dolby Atmos receivers

I wonder if Dolby has already won the format war... There's a recent article at pressreleasepoint.com that says there are now 200 titles with Dolby Atmos, and 750 theaters have it installed. I don't know how many theaters or titles feature Auro 3D, but I bet it's a lot fewer than what Dolby Atmos has at this point. And will theater owners who just spent $ to upgrade to Dolby Atmos be willing to shell out more $ to upgrade to DTS-UHD (or whatever their format will be called) when it comes out?

I read somewhere else that Auro 3D doesn't use sound-reflecting speakers like Dolby Atmos does. If that's the case, that could be a deal breaker for consumers who aren't willing or able to install speakers in their ceiling. I fall into that category, so Dolby Atmos is looking more attractive to me than Auro 3D.
Old 10-31-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be. I've been thinking about this for my room and I'm just not sure. (and I'm an audio nut) I could put speakers at the ceiling, I just don't know if I want to or what. I did just round out my amps, so I now have the full setup I've been planning with 7 amp channels. Hopefully around the beginning of the year I can get the 7702, which I want for several reasons that are not 3D sound. I'll have to decide about Atmos, etc after that. I can play around with it if I want, I do have 2 other speakers and a little amp for them, so I could set up a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 to try it out. Those speakers wouldn't be good for ceiling use, though, it would just be to try it.

This really throws a loop into speaker purchasing for many. I'm looking at certain types of speakers to upgrade my Klipsch set, but most of them haven't really made surround speakers that work in my room, and none of them have even considered Atmos-style speakers. It's all boxy towers and bookshelf models. They probably will in the future, but right now it's not a good fit. I don't really have the option of in-ceiling OR reflecting speakers at my house, they would just have to hang there.

Might upgrade my turntable before this stuff.
Old 10-31-14, 11:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I wonder if Dolby has already won the format war... There's a recent article at pressreleasepoint.com that says there are now 200 titles with Dolby Atmos, and 750 theaters have it installed. I don't know how many theaters or titles feature Auro 3D, but I bet it's a lot fewer than what Dolby Atmos has at this point. And will theater owners who just spent $ to upgrade to Dolby Atmos be willing to shell out more $ to upgrade to DTS-UHD (or whatever their format will be called) when it comes out?

I read somewhere else that Auro 3D doesn't use sound-reflecting speakers like Dolby Atmos does. If that's the case, that could be a deal breaker for consumers who aren't willing or able to install speakers in their ceiling. I fall into that category, so Dolby Atmos is looking more attractive to me than Auro 3D.
it's interesting here in the DC metro area - the new Arclight Bethesda has two new Dolby Atmos systems in place.

Cinemark Fairfax Corner 14 just recently upgraded both it's two 'Xtreme' screens to feature 11.1 Auro sound.

personally I don't see the studio support for Auro - whereas Atmos is more aggressive and has more studio's actually remixing and releasing DCP's as such. I guess we'll see how it pans out in 2015 as more theaters make the upgrades.

I won't make the plunge into buying a receiver until one) I see what DTS has up it's sleeve; and two) when and if a single receiver will decode ALL three sound formats.