Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Proscan 38000 HDTV Problems?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Proscan 38000 HDTV Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-00, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Catware said the Proscan 38000 HDTV was recalled for the very problem I've been having with mine: the picture goes black every 25-30 minutes when you watch a video, DVD, or video game. Anyone else having this problem or heard of this recall?
Old 11-23-00, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Joe Schmoe:
Catware said...<HR>

I had been in the store a few weeks ago looking at it (marveling at it; it's a wonderful picture). I called a few days later to inquire about it and was told by the salesperson they stopped selling them due to problems with the inputs, and that in fact all these models were being recalled.

After the salesperson told me that on the phone, I tried to confirm it by checking on the web, but can't even find anything about the 38000 at all let alone a recall. Proscan doesn't even have a website (they have one 'under construction.')

Whether or not it is accurate, I don't know, but subsequent visits to the Good Guys since then confirmed that the set is no longer on display.

That is the extent of my knowledge; I'm really saving my pennies for the new Toshiba 40H80, so I didn't seriously pursue the validity of this.
Old 11-23-00, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Proscan? What the heck is that?

Man...these companies gotta go!

-sonic
Old 11-23-00, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to Good Guys today. Yes, the display model is no longer in the store, but no one working today had heard of a recall. They told me to ask the video department manager when he returns to work tomorrow.

I haven't found a web site either, but at there's an 800 number I can call after the holiday!
Old 11-24-00, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had heard rumors they pulled them from the stores. I am waiting for them to fix the problem and start selling the properly working sets. They are awesome. However, there is no word about the problem posted at RCA.

Sonic, don't tell me you didn't know Proscan=RCA....That's not like you...Tell me you were joshing...

RCA - PLEASE get this problem fixed...
Old 11-25-00, 03:24 AM

Went into Good Guys today myself; asked the salesguy if they stopped selling the Proscan 38000. He said yes, because they'd all been recalled. I asked why, and he said there is a problem with the sets "turning off," and that a replacement would be out soon.

That's all I got from him; he was helping a couple buy a set so he didn't elaborate.
Old 11-25-00, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I called Thompson Electronics yesterday. That's the company that makes both Proscan and RCA products. They're not calling it a recall. They're calling it a "voluntary exchange" because it recall implies there's a safety issue. Whatever.

They said they would send me a new set, but it could take 1-2 months! That's ridiculous, so I went to Good Guys today. They said they would call their buyer next week and try to get me a set much sooner than that.

Good Guys was shocked that Thompson hadn't called me on their own to inform me of the exchange. Do they really think that Thompson wants hundreds of people sending back defective TVs if they don't have to? I'm sure if they could get away with it, Thompson would let everyone get stuck with defective sets. It's cheaper for them.