Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer Elite TV and DV434 DVD player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer Elite TV and DV434 DVD player

Old 11-23-00, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on using the Pioneer Elite 710 withe the Pioneer DV434 DVD player....
As I understand (not understand?) it, the Pioneer Elite TV will do a 3/2 pull down on film source. The DV434 DVD player is "progressive" but won't do a 3/2 pull down...
Should I be using the DV434 in non-progressive mode and use the TV's line doubler (take advantage of the 3/2 pull down)? Or am I "out to lunch" on this issue??? Please help!
Old 11-24-00, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First off by near unanimous agreement the 434 IS NOT A PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYER by any means! The ability to do 3/2 pulldown is a must for true progressive video! If you are using the DVD player in it's "supposed" progressive scan mode then you are in fact getting a worse picture then if you let the TV do the line doubling itself with the added benefit of doing 3/2 pulldown. All the 434 is, is a DVD player with a line doubler built-in but the Elite TV's have far better line doublers and 3/2 pulldown ability.

If you have not had the 434 player for very long I would seriously consider returning it and paying a bit more for either Pioneer's true progressive scan dvd player(DV37) or the Toshiba 6200 or 5109. At least then you will get the advantage of a true progressive scan dvd player that can do 3/2 pulldown entirely in the digital domain, which the internal line doubler of the Elite can not do.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 11-24-00, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the advise! I will start saving for the DV37.... Isn't Pioneer Elite coming out with a DV38?