DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Ultra Curved HD TV's

Old 05-25-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New Ultra Curved HD TV's

I have just started seeing these and they look nice.

What say y'all?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55HU...ved+tv+samsung
Old 05-25-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New Ultra Curved HD TV's

Don't they provide a much greater viewer angle and experience?

Anyways they look gorgeous. I had no idea 4K was already out.
Old 05-25-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It reminded me of the ArcLight Cinerama dome, without the cropping. They look legit.
Old 05-25-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it is much worse viewing angle. That's what seems like would be correct from the physics, and reviews are starting to say the same. If you need extreme viewing angles, your TV should say "Panasonic" on it.

The curvature apparently enhances 3D a bit. But I don't see how a curved screen of this size would be worth much. I've seen curved screens that worked great, but they were theaters with an absolutely giant screen, Omnimax being at the top of that pile. But I doubt we are close to that in the home, as those are special Imax projectors.
Old 05-26-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the viewing angle, I think what they mean is if you sit in the center and at a certain distance, the curvature allows the individual pixels to face your eyes head-on instead of being at an angle. I doubt they're referring to people sitting off to the sides, who would have it worse.

My big issue with these sets is that I doubt that existing material will look right. It's like a mini version of Cinerama, but Cinerama had special setups with multiple cameras. You're taking something meant for a rectangle and placing it in a "smilebox." For instance, a circular object off to the side is going to appear a bit squished.
Old 05-26-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I noticed a few of the benefits in the press release a while back but they were quickly retracted:

* Great for people who have rounded faces
* Approved by the Diabetes Association
Old 05-26-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really get it, other than it's something new to attract more buyers to the "latest & greatest" in home electronics.

Most stadium-seat theatres have a slight curve to the screen which helps equally distribute the light coming from the projector giving the edges of the frame a sharper focus than a perfectly flat screen.

How does this concept realistically translate to a 55" LED screen that sits 7-8 feet away from the viewer? I don't know.

It's funny, back in the CRT days, people didn't want a (outward) curved screen as the new flat screen TVs came on the market. Now it's an inward curved screen that we're supposed to throw our money at.

Last edited by orangerunner; 05-26-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I noticed a few of the benefits in the press release a while back but they were quickly retracted:

* Great for people who have rounded faces
* Approved by the Diabetes Association
Dafuq?!
Old 05-26-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks nice but $1k for the curve feature is not worth it to me.
Old 05-26-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Like the TV linked at Amazon, I have a 55". I don't see how the curved feature could work in that size. But 80-90" yeah maybe. And then we are in projector range.
Old 05-27-14, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It reminded me of the ArcLight Cinerama dome, without the cropping. They look legit.
I want to kick the projectionist (in the nuts) over at the Uptown that cropped the hell out of 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' - which is similar to the Arclight's Cinerama screen.
Old 05-27-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's a gimmick meant to add a pricey new feature to the premium tier of new displays. Television manufacturers are constantly coming up with gimmicks these days to push on new buyers. The companies have found out most people buy one flat-screen for several years and are happy with it. It's a small cadre of bleeding-edge technologists that constantly buy each new feature they release, which is where most of the profit lies.
Old 05-27-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These articles break down why curved screens are a bad idea for anything other than possibly projection:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...th-curved-tvs/
http://www.cnet.com/news/are-curved-tvs-a-gimmick/
Old 05-27-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This strikes me as a gimmick even worse than 3D. I have no interest in it and I'm sure I'll be annoyed if one day curved screens are the only thing available.
Old 05-27-14, 04:38 PM

A completely needless gimmick, and the newest cash grab / frill from a capricious industry.

When will we get a real large OLED flatscreen? I mean a normal, nonfrilly one, ie non 3D, non-curved, regular 1080p, no 4k, just excellent and reliable picture perfection. Probably never.
Old 05-27-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
When will we get a real large OLED flatscreen? I mean a normal, nonfrilly one, ie non 3D, non-curved, regular 1080p, no 4k, just excellent and reliable picture perfection. Probably never.
Well, this one a is non-curved and 1080p 55", although it does have a 3D option:
http://wwwstg.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EA8800-oled-tv

OLED is going to have to get a lot cheaper before they don't offer a 3D option on it, as the cost of adding 3D is pretty cheap in comparison, and they likely don't want to have to deal with selling two different models, like the 55" OLED with 3D option for $8499, and the one without 3D for $8300. At this point, cutting out the 3D option only makes sense on cost-cutting mid-tier HDTVs.

At least with 3D, you don't have to use it and it otherwise doesn't affect the image from the TV.
Old 06-16-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to BB the other day and spent some time mulling over TV's. They were pushing the Curve HARD... I ended up getting a Samsung 4k but felt like I had to scream "NO" in order for them to get off the Curve pitch

FWIW - the TV looked fantastic but I didn't feel like it brought anything to the table for my viewing purposes; whereas at least the kids like 3D and that whole "gimmick".
Old 06-16-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
A completely needless gimmick, and the newest cash grab / frill from a capricious industry.

I went the Panasonic Plasma commercial television route back in 2007 when these haggard games were being played. Didn't need a super-duper tuner. Didn't need the speakers on each side. Just wanted a very slim plasma with modular extensions where I could swap out cards if necessary (and I did once HDMI unfortunately grabbed onto my ass), and that's it. 50PH9UK I think the model is and it still looks fabulous. In fact, I think it's only 720p. I'd probably upgrade, but most of my Blu-ray collection, I can't tell the difference...thanks to our awesome studios who rarely give a flying fuck about resolution--and they are the Hi-Def Fuckers who were all behind it in the first place.

By the time I upgrade to 4K, I'll be able to buy an airline ticket to the Moon for $50.

If anything, I am considering a 65" Samsung in the next few years (or maybe a Panny if the model is there) just because they are thinner and lighter...and I do wish I had a larger screen. Even going from a 160lb 32" tube monster, my current HDTV is still rather heavy, and I'd like to be able to hang it up on a wall or something. But I certainly will NOT be buying the latest and greatest. Will NOT be 3D, and like you, will be looking for just an awesome picture quality at a great price.
Old 06-17-14, 11:38 AM

I saw one of these curved sets at a Modia store in Houston a few months back and the salesman and I both noticed the terrible reflections it was picking up from the sides. I imagine items like an aquarium or digital clock might unintentionally find its way into the viewing experience. The buyer really has to study their present environment before shelling out money for this thing.
Old 06-17-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't notice the reflection issues but it may have been the in-store lighting.

That said, these are absolutely stunning but I would not buy one. Just too gimmicky. 4K though (as someone that uses a Projector, I would love to be at 4K).
Old 06-17-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stores are getting curved and 4K in, but I have yet to see an OLED in person (other than that old Sony 7"). I'm salivating at seeing the upcoming LG 77" 4K OLED set.
Old 06-18-14, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
It's funny, back in the CRT days, people didn't want a (outward) curved screen as the new flat screen TVs came on the market. Now it's an inward curved screen that we're supposed to throw our money at.
If we follow the trend, future screens will bend in on themselves then eventually face away from the viewer.
Old 06-18-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

North Korea and China have already approved of those televisions and will bring them to market in 2016.
Old 06-19-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
This strikes me as a gimmick even worse than 3D. I have no interest in it and I'm sure I'll be annoyed if one day curved screens are the only thing available.
It's not a gimmick like 3D. 3D is actually something useful that adds to your viewing experience. A curved screen does nothing to add to your viewing experience except make it harder to enjoy the picture at a non-direct angle. Curved screens make sense if we're talking IMAX, since the viewer will be enveloped in the picture...however it makes no sense at home. They're also useless for tech-heads like us, who want to see things in their OAR, which curved screens get all out of whack.
Old 06-19-14, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
It's not a gimmick like 3D. 3D is actually something useful that adds to your viewing experience. A curved screen does nothing to add to your viewing experience except make it harder to enjoy the picture at a non-direct angle. Curved screens make sense if we're talking IMAX, since the viewer will be enveloped in the picture...however it makes no sense at home. They're also useless for tech-heads like us, who want to see things in their OAR, which curved screens get all out of whack.
A headache?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.