DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HD Image Through Panny Plasma Question

Old 04-13-14, 12:26 PM

HD Image Through Panny Plasma Question

I've had a Panasonic Plasma TC-P65GT50 65 inch for about a year and have been very satisfied with the picture (running a HD cable box and PS3 through a Panasonic HD audio receiver to the TV. All connections via HDMI). I also have a Seagate external HD which I've been using to store and watch large videos and movies through the PS3. On a whim I recently hooked the Seagate drive directly to the Vierra TV via USB. And I was surprised that the videos watched directly via Hard drive-to-Vierra were noticeably crisper and have more of that "looking through a window" impact. The videos were all in MP4 or MKV format (for some reason the Vierra didn't recognize AVI or WMV. What's up with that?). So my questions are as follows:

1. Why would there be such a noticeable difference? Is it as simple as the extra processing layers going through the PS3 and then the receiver degrades the image slightly?
2. Is there a way to replicate the picture quality of the direct Hard drive-to-Vierra connection using the PS3? Going HD to Vierra is not ideal since I lose audio impact by not going through my surround sound system.
3. In general, do people recommend connecting a PS3 & cable box directly to the Vierra via HDMI and then connecting audio from each of those units to the receiver via Optical cable? Am I losing any picture quality by routing the HDMI through the receiver? I'm concerned that if I'm not getting the best picture performance out of my video files, I may not be getting the best out of my Blu-Ray's either on the PS3.

Thanks
Old 04-13-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: HD Image Through Panny Plasma Question

I don't recall Panasonic doing anything special with their receivers (unlike their TVs), that could definitely be a problem, IMO. You can test all this if you are willing to swap wires around a bit.

It could also be the settings in your TV, though. I'm guessing that model stores different video settings for different inputs. So, switching to the USB input probably has very different settings. That's probably the easiest testing to do.

1) Yes, prob just that simple.
2) For testing, at least, move the HDMI that goes to the TV from receiver out to the PS3 out. That will show you what the PS3 direct to TV does.
3) Usually, using a receiver is what people do. But maybe you could upgrade, or find a "pass-through" mode in the receiver or something.
Old 04-13-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your video is getting unnecessarily processed somewhere in the connection chain, likely in the receiver or an improperly set PS3. Both have software tools that can affect video quality. You need to read your manuals and change the settings for as pure a signal as possible to the display.
Old 04-23-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hold on a sec. You're saying you can hook up a hard drive directly to your TV via USB and watch videos that are stored on your hard drive? Your TV has software capable of doing this??

It sounds to me based on your "looking through a window" description that you have the motion smoothing, or 'soap opera' effect turned on for the specific input and not the other one.
Old 04-23-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In regard to No. 2, can you run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver so you can get the 5.1 digital sound that we all love and cherish?
Old 04-23-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
In regard to No. 2, can you run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver so you can get the 5.1 digital sound that we all love and cherish?
I'd cherish the Panny plasma, he's lucky he got one when he did!

Anyway, as regards 1, I've actually often wondered about that. Someone suggested that I get and HDMI splitter if I got another device I needed to connect, but at what point would the signal degrade? I'd assume there are software intermediaries? Maybe it has to do with your settings?
Old 04-24-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Hold on a sec. You're saying you can hook up a hard drive directly to your TV via USB and watch videos that are stored on your hard drive? Your TV has software capable of doing this??
Many do. Sources, too, like bluray players, some of the Roku-type boxes, etc.
Old 05-19-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
Many do. Sources, too, like bluray players, some of the Roku-type boxes, etc.
Though the purpose of the USB port on the front of my DVR eludes me.