DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony BDP-S570 won't play a DVD

Old 03-17-14, 09:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sony BDP-S570 won't play a DVD

Didn't know where to put this, doesn't belong in DVD Talk since it's a Blu-Ray player, didn't belong in HD Talk since it's a DVD I'm playing in it, so here we are.

This is a first for me, can't figure this out. Tried to play Demolition Man (DVD), it's a flipper disc, Full Screen on one side, Widescreen on the other. Had to watch the Full Screen version because every time I tried to play the Widescreen side in this BD player, it would go straight to the commentary track, so it's the director talking about the movie all the way through. At first I thought it was just an introduction or something but no, it's a commentary track. Tried to go back to the main menu but when I think I've restarted into the actual movie, it's right back in the commentary track. I've popped the disc out and restarted from scratch several times to no avail, tried accessing any menus in as many different ways as I could find. Ended up having to watch it in Full Screen...

I've watched the Widescreen side of this DVD in my old DVD player with no issues whatsoever, so I know it's not the disc. I wonder why this BD player would jump straight to the commentary track without even giving me the option to choose? It's never done this before on any other DVD, flipper disc or no.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-18-14, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Sony BDP-S570 won't play a DVD

Try it in a DVD player of DVD-ROM drive on a computer. It's possible that the disc could be suffering from "DVD rot," which causes a disc to go bad over time. This is usually the result of a manufacturing defect.

It could also be a peculiarity of your particular player where there's something in the code on the disc that it can't process.
Old 03-18-14, 06:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tried to play it in my computer's DVD drive, same deal, went straight to the commentary track on the WS side, no way to choose otherwise. That sucks. First exposure to disc rot, I'm not impressed...

Thanks Josh.
Old 03-18-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you try the Audio button during playback?

I had one disc that went bad, had to replace it. Not real common with DVDs, but it does happen. Gave me an excuse to get the BD of that movie.
Old 03-18-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had a few discs default to the subtitles on certain players but not others.

It might be in the authoring or how certain machines interpret the information.
Old 03-18-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Tried to play it in my computer's DVD drive, same deal, went straight to the commentary track on the WS side, no way to choose otherwise. That sucks. First exposure to disc rot, I'm not impressed...

Thanks Josh.
Does the disc play fine otherwise?

Disc rot can do some weird things, but usually the disc won't play at all, freeze up at the menu, or start skipping/freezing/breaking up near a layer change. If the only thing it's doing is locking in a commentary track, that's a really specific and limited kind of damage. Or it could be that the 'rot' hasn't spread into the area of the disc that the main movie is on. (Discs don't actually rot. What happens is, when they are manufactured, they might not be completely sealed and air can get in and oxidize the aluminum data layer.)

If it's a really old disc from the early days of DVD, say 2000 or earlier, then it might have something in the encoding that newer players have trouble reading.
Old 03-18-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One side of a flipper DVD often sees rot. Early manufacturing runs of flippers had fairly high defect rates over time.