DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cd / DVD / Blu-ray Storage Tower

Old 03-08-14, 06:10 PM

Cd / DVD / Blu-ray Storage Tower

I'm looking to buy (or build if no options exist) a multimedia storage tower. I'm looking for it to be at least 6 feet tall and hold as many cds/dvds/blu-rays as possible. The ones I've searched for online can hold upwards of 1,500-2,000 CDs, but they charge over $200 or the reviews state it's just cheap particle board. For the price, I don't wan to buy a cheap piece of crap.

Since this website is full of people who probably have larger collections than I do, what are some options you guys use? Best recommendations? I want to keep all my items in their original cases and am not looking ot go to a sleeve only option.
Old 03-08-14, 07:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Cd / DVD / Blu-ray Storage Tower

Lots of ideas in our "official" organization thread. I'm partial to elfa shelving from The Container Store.
Old 03-08-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The market for media storage has collapsed as consumers move away from bulky physical collections. It's tougher and tougher to find anything other than small units at retail that hold a couple hundred CDs/DVDs. IKEA very recently discontinued their media shelving for a cheaper replacement.

Most people these days seem to find the best value/solutions in having a local woodworker or carpenter put custom shelves together.
Old 03-09-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lipid View Post
I'm looking to buy (or build if no options exist) a multimedia storage tower. I'm looking for it to be at least 6 feet tall and hold as many cds/dvds/blu-rays as possible. The ones I've searched for online can hold upwards of 1,500-2,000 CDs, but they charge over $200 or the reviews state it's just cheap particle board. For the price, I don't wan to buy a cheap piece of crap.

Since this website is full of people who probably have larger collections than I do, what are some options you guys use? Best recommendations? I want to keep all my items in their original cases and am not looking ot go to a sleeve only option.
These days, you're almost better off going to Home Depot or Lowe's and having some pre-measured boards cut to your spec, then put them together with HD screws and bolts, allowing for modular addition/subtraction. Stain to your taste.