Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help on picking a "home theater in a box"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help on picking a "home theater in a box"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-00, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Ok, guys and gals, here's the situation. For Christmas, I want to suprise my girlfriend with a home theater setup. She's got the DVD player and DD/DTS reciever, but she doesn't have any decent speakers. What I want to do is buy one of those "home theater in a box" systems. You know, the ones that come w/ the 5 speakers. She doesn't need anything super expensive. I've been looking and and looking, but I am really unsure what to get. I want to spend about $300 to $400 bucks on it. I don't need one with a subwoofer, as she has one already.

I can get a smoking deal on the JBL NSP-1 system. I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but I do have JBL stuff, and I am very pleased with it. Any reviews on this system?

If anyone has any recommendations on what's good, what's not, I'd appreicate it. I've tried www.audioreview.com , but they don't have these "ht in a box" systems listed. Thanks!

------------------
Stand up, turn and face me! Believe what you believe. Don't just stand there suffering, talking about your freedom.

[This message has been edited by Deftones17 (edited November 05, 2000).]
Old 11-05-00, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try the Keenwood in a box systems as they are on sale at sears who will match an online retailer, so you can save some decent money.

Also, they get good reviews from some of the HT sites for a good starter system in this price range
Old 11-05-00, 04:31 PM

One big thing to try, the remote. Can the remote control the dvd player and the tv.

I have a kenwood in a box, and a samsung dvd player. Unless I pony up for an expensive remote, (>$150), then I'm a multi remote person. My kenwood reciever is not 3rd party remote friendly.
Old 11-05-00, 04:31 PM

One big thing to try, the remote. Can the remote control the dvd player and the tv.

I have a kenwood in a box, and a samsung dvd player. Unless I pony up for an expensive remote, (>$150), then I'm a multi remote person. My kenwood reciever is not 3rd party remote friendly.
Old 11-05-00, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know you do not want to spend this much...but the Energy Take 5 speaker system may be worth a try!!! MSRP $500
Below are links to reviews by owners of this product and also a link to an auction on ebay...the seller has 174 feedback!!! Not sure what his reserve price is...the auction is currently at $102.50....
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7270.shtml

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=486470414

Good luck!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-05-00, 08:27 PM

I'm not a fan of all-in-one boxed systems,
as I think there are better options for
folks who are at least slightly into audio.

That said, box sets from Kenwood, and Sony
are really poor sounding packages.

If you must get an all-in-one setup, go
with the Energy Take 5. No doubt.

There's a drastic difference between a
company with a vision of producing quality
sound (Energy), with a company seeking
solely to fill a price point/marketing
niche (Kenwood, Sony).

Best of luck, and don't take my word for
any of this, grab some CDs and DVDs, and
listen for yourself -- it's your money, and
personally, I hate spending money
knowing I could have had something
significantly better for the same or a few
dollars more.

Old 11-05-00, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk God

thanks for your help everyone. i probably didn't make this too clear, but my GF already has a reciever and a dvd player, so all I am looking for is the speakers. I don't need anything else. My gf is hardly into home theater, she rarely plays music very loud, so she definately doesn't need a better setup than me!

I checked out the JBL NSP-1 set today at Best Buy. They are actually decently loud. Unfortunately, they are only 2-way and the housing for the speaker is plastic rather than wood. For what she needs them for, they sounded ok. I'll have to check out those Energy Take 5 setup. The only problem is that she already has a subwoofer, so that's pretty much worthless if I get the Energy Take 5. Thanks again for all your help. Feel free to add anymore comments or helpful insights.

------------------
Stand up, turn and face me! Believe what you believe. Don't just stand there suffering, talking about your freedom.

[This message has been edited by Deftones17 (edited November 05, 2000).]
Old 11-06-00, 03:21 AM

Deftones, I actually bought my Take 5 set w/o subwoofer for 350 shipped from OneCall http://www.onecall.com back in April. A real fantastic deal- I love those OneCall guys (they really treat you well and give great prices). You might think of purchasing from them, whatever speakers you decide to get
Old 11-06-00, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RudeBoie:
Deftones, I actually bought my Take 5 set w/o subwoofer for 350 shipped from OneCall http://www.onecall.com back in April. A real fantastic deal- I love those OneCall guys (they really treat you well and give great prices). You might think of purchasing from them, whatever speakers you decide to get<HR>

can you give me an exact url of where they are listed on the site? i can't find them for the life of me.

I did a request on respond.com for the Take 5 setup, and I got a reply from a company called Sound Advice. They'll sell me the set w/o subwoofer for $329. Hmmmm..

------------------
Old 11-06-00, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

trust me on this - go buy the energy take 5 from www.audioshop.on.ca
the prices are no longer listed at the site because energy doesn't like their speakers being sold mailorder - go figure. the prices are in canadian dollars and works out to be very low (i believe they were around $300). plus, they ship via federal express for very little money. plus, customer service is GREAT. talk to marc hallam. i agree that the energy take 5 is the way to go, if you already have the receiver, dvd player, and subwoofer. not sure if you knew this already, but energy take 5's DO require a subwoofer. you can also check www.epinions.com for user reviews on audio system components. look under my profile (flux73) to find a review on the Energy Take 5. (unfortunately, they don't have a separate review category for it yet)
Old 11-06-00, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There you go Deftones....some good choices here.....go with it!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-06-00, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

wow, thanks everyone. I just emailed audio shop and onecall about pricing on these bad boys. with that many glowing reviews, how can they be bad?

------------------
Old 11-06-00, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

UPDATE: Audioshop has them, and can get the set here for about $360 US. Onecall won't sell them mail order, but they suggested another model by the same parent company called SDI.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Deftones17 (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old 11-07-00, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

buy them from audioshop. but don't forget to buy stands or wall brackets for them too if you don't have a place to put the speakers.

btw, (shameless plug ahead ) in case you wanna read a full review on the energy take 5, here's a link to my review on epinions - http://www.epinions.com/./elec-revie...39278D91-prod5
Old 11-21-00, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

well, I ordered from audioshop last week and they have yet to show up. i called them yesterday, and they said they had no record of my order.

but, marc was very cool, and knocked off $100 canadian off the total order for me. i guess i can wait an extra 2 days for these puppies. i'll have them wednesday, i'll hook them up on wednesday night or friday. i'll post how i like them.

------------------