DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   No Sound Out of 5.1 When Watching Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/618412-no-sound-out-5-1-when-watching-netflix.html)

nickdawgy 02-28-14 08:11 AM

No Sound Out of 5.1 When Watching Netflix

So I just got a Sony STR DN1040 receiver with Energy Take Classics for speakers. It works great and I'm very happy with it. But one thing I can't figure out is why I can't hear anything out of the speakers when watching Netflix.

It works for anything else. Cable, Blu-Ray's, Xbox One, you name it. Just not Netflix. I tried to Google it, and I can't seem to find an answer that works, so I was wondering if anyone here had a similar problem or knows a fix. It kind of sucks not being to watch shows with the 5.1 :(

As far as the setup, I have HDMI running from the receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC) on my Samsung F7100 series, and then the rest of the stuff running into the receiver.

Any help is appreciated.

Spiky 02-28-14 09:04 AM

Re: No Sound Out of 5.1 When Watching Netflix

So, your TV is the source of Netflix? Are you sure it passes sound from apps out the HDMI? Or possibly there could be a sound setting in the TV you need to change.

Do you get any sound from Netflix?

Lastblade 02-28-14 01:24 PM

What are you using for Netflix? Xbox One or?

nickdawgy 02-28-14 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 12028454)
So, your TV is the source of Netflix? Are you sure it passes sound from apps out the HDMI? Or possibly there could be a sound setting in the TV you need to change.

Do you get any sound from Netflix?

Yeah, the TV is the source. But I have it on Xbox One, also, I never tried it using that. I don't get any sound at all out of the speakers while using Netflix, I have to turn off the receiver and use the TV sound.

I never tried the apps through the speakers, so I'm not sure. There's a sound setting on the TV that I should be able to change, but it's greyed out.

Originally Posted by Lastblade (Post 12028767)
What are you using for Netflix? Xbox One or?

The Samsung TV.

arminius 03-01-14 08:16 AM

If the tv is the source of Netflix you need a cable from the tv(out) to the receiver(in) for the sound. You may have problems with syncing though.

Spiky 03-01-14 08:06 PM

The easiest solution is probably to use the Xbox.

Otherwise, double check that ARC is both a feature and turned on in both the TV and receiver. And check through all the TV sound settings. Maybe something is set wrong.

nickdawgy 03-02-14 08:02 AM

The Xbox worked :up:

Thanks so much, guys.