Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which would be best? (Amps/Preamps)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which would be best? (Amps/Preamps)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-00, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sold my old receiver and I'm upgrading to seperates. I don't have the world's largest budget but I have reduced my choices to 2-3.

Adcom GFA-7000 - 130x5 THX Certified
Harmon Kardon Signiture 2.1 - 100x5
Rotel 985 THX - 100x5 THX cert

I can get them all for about the same price. I was leaning towards the 7000, but then I went to Audioreview and the reviews of this amp were just horrible. They suggested just about anything over top of this. I was hoping some one would have any incite on this? As far as pre-amp's go I'm looking for a pro-logic DIGITAL READY preamp. Like the Rotel 980, or an adcom or parasound pre. Nothing fancy, just as cheap as possible. I've considered old DD/Ready receivers with pre-outs, but why wastes amps...thanks.

Brian
Old 11-16-00, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned a Rotel RB985.

There are 2 or 3 versions/upgrades of this amp, with subtle elctronic changes and fairly major aesthetic ones. Are looking at buying a new one?

I liked this amp quite a bit, but it was a little (mechanically) noisy with my speakers, which are sensitive. I have since traded it with a friend who has less sensitive speakers, and it sounds great in his system. He has a large room, and it has no probs playing at high levels without straining.

I'd say whichever amp you choose will depend heavily on the speakers you're using, or planning on using. To a smaller degree, the room and pre-amp might be factors also.

-Steve

Edited to add a few q's:

What's your pre-amp budget?
Are you planning on using a dvd player with 5.1 analog outputs, or getting an external decoder? Or neither for now?

[This message has been edited by stevevt (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old 11-16-00, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking towards the used market because my budget is pretty low. I have found all of the amps mentioned about for under $600, and I'mjust trying to decide which one. The speakers I have right now are a pair of VonSchweikert VR-3's, and I will have a pair of Paradigm Titans for rears within the week (No center so Phantom Preamp is vital). The fronts require immense power. They're rated at about 250 RMS and 500 Peak.

As far as pre-amps I am once again looking towards the used market. I would like to spend as little as possible, but if a good deal arrises I can dish out probably up to $500. In this price range I have found a few that interest me.

Parasound PSP-1500
Lexicon CP-3
Rotel RSP-980

I'm not sure what ADCOM's offerings are in this feild, but I have seen all of the above for under $400. Right now I do have a dolby digital decoder already built into my DVD player. The Toshiba SD-3108 (old school I know, I've been with DVD since late 1998), but it does have 5.1 outputs. 5.1 isn't that important to me, my speakers can create the ambiance of surround with 2 and that still excites me. Just would like the option to upgrade later on.

Thanks for the repsonse, to be honest I didn't know if DVD_Talk was the best place to submit this. Thanks.
Old 11-16-00, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by PoorBoy:
I'm looking towards the used market because my budget is pretty low. I have found all of the amps mentioned about for under $600, and I'mjust trying to decide which one. The speakers I have right now are a pair of VonSchweikert VR-3's, and I will have a pair of Paradigm Titans for rears within the week (No center so Phantom Preamp is vital). The fronts require immense power. They're rated at about 250 RMS and 500 Peak.

As far as pre-amps I am once again looking towards the used market. I would like to spend as little as possible, but if a good deal arrises I can dish out probably up to $500. In this price range I have found a few that interest me.

Parasound PSP-1500
Lexicon CP-3
Rotel RSP-980

I'm not sure what ADCOM's offerings are in this feild, but I have seen all of the above for under $400. Right now I do have a dolby digital decoder already built into my DVD player. The Toshiba SD-3108 (old school I know, I've been with DVD since late 1998), but it does have 5.1 outputs. 5.1 isn't that important to me, my speakers can create the ambiance of surround with 2 and that still excites me. Just would like the option to upgrade later on.

Thanks for the repsonse, to be honest I didn't know if DVD_Talk was the best place to submit this. Thanks.
<HR>

If I were in your position, and unable to audition the amps in my own system (which I strongly recommend you try to do), I'd probably avoid the Adcom just based on its reputation as not being a good match for certain (and varied) speakers.

I don't have any experience with any of the pre-amps you mention.

If you buy a 3-years-ago's technology pre for $500, you might want to ask yourself the following?

a) how long will you be satisfied with this purchase?
b) how much will this be worth down the road when you want something better/different?

If the answer to a) is, "a long time," then you've probably chosen a good one.

Have you looked for used Marantz AV-560? They're probably closer to $600 (just guessing).

Anyhow, now that I've steered you away from it , a friend of mine who owns a home theater store currently has a Lexicon CP-3+ for auction on, you know, that immensely popular auction site.

I definitely don't want to push you towards this if it's not what you want, but he tends to have decent closing prices. Let me know if you want more info.

Glad to help another Von Schweikert owner. I have VR2000s (their efficient HT mains), an LCR200, and TS-20 surrounds.

-Steve
Old 11-16-00, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again for all the help, what are the odds it'd be another VS owner? Most of the people I meet haven't even heard of his speakers. I have asked myself that question may times (how long will this last me), but the answer is always less than a year. I just seem to be always upgrading. I've had my old receiver for about 6 months and I traded it off. It was a Marantz SR-96 which really sounded great off the VR's. As far as auditioning goes, the way I buy gear it never last more than a few months anyway. I also buy it from Audiogon or Audioreview or someplace and end up putting it on e-bay for more than I paid, most of the time funding the upgrade. This one, however, came at a bad time. Rent's due soon and I'm still in college...

I've decided on the Harmon Kardon amp, even though it only delivers 100x5 I figure it'll be the best as far as music and movies go. I don't like the reputation of Adcom although the few times I have heard them they sounded nice. I also figure if I don't like the sound of the Harmon Kardon I can trade it out locally for a two channel Parasound or something along those lines. I'm still shopping for pre-amps though. I'll take a look at that Lexicon, but the CP-3+ says it's a processor not controller on e-bay so I'll keep looking. I have considered the marantz as well, but haven't seen too many used. Thanks again.

Brian
Old 11-17-00, 05:31 AM

I would go to www.audiogon.com and check out the used items there.I have seen the Outlaw amplifier for less than $700.00 and why not try the Marantz pre/pro.I think the model number is the AV-550.It normally sold for $1000.00 and I have seen it their for $275.00 earlier.Good luck
Old 11-17-00, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The AV-550 for less than $300? Thanks for the heads up, if I find one (or you see one) let me know, I'd love to own one of those units. I believe it even comes with the RC 2000 Mk II remote, which by itself I sweat. I think you might be thinking the AV-600. Either way I wouldn't mind either of them. Thanks for the heads up.

Brian
Old 11-17-00, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The AV-550 for less than $300? Thanks for the heads up, if I find one (or you see one) let me know, I'd love to own one of those units. I believe it even comes with the RC 2000 Mk II remote, which by itself I sweat. I think you might be thinking the AV-600. Either way I wouldn't mind either of them. Thanks for the heads up.

Brian
<HR>

The AV-550 is pretty good. In fact, it's the pre/pro I'm currently using.

1 problem: no DTS decoding.

The AV-560 is the same model, but with DTS included.

The existence of the 560 as the replacement for the 550 has definitely pushed down prices on the 550. A friend of mine bought a new one from Audio Advisor for $450 around 10 months ago. A great deal if you can live without DTS. The remote is pretty cool, too. Worth at least 1/3 of the price you'd be paying, anyhow.

-S
Old 11-17-00, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, does the AV-550 have inputs for another decoder such as that from 5point1.com? So that DTS could be added in the future? For that matter does the AV-600 have inputs for a seperate decoder? DB-25 or otherwise?

Brian
Old 11-17-00, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, does the AV-550 have inputs for another decoder such as that from 5point1.com? So that DTS could be added in the future?
<HR>

No 5.1 inputs on the AV-550. Supposedly, it can be upgraded to DTS by a company whose name I can't remember. I'm sure that an AV-550 + upgrade would cost more than an AV-560, assuming both are bought used.

For that matter does the AV-600 have inputs for a seperate decoder? DB-25 or otherwise?
<HR>

The AV-600 does have 5.1 analog inputs. It was made to pair with the Marantz DP-870 external DD processor (but could obviously be used with any processer with 5.1 outputs).
Old 11-17-00, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then it's the AV-600 for me. Looks like I'm going to get one for under $200 too...(maybe). Still, it would be nice to have that RC-2000 Mk II...I've been sweating that remote for a long time now. Thanks again for the help, for me upgradability is more important than internal processing. DD/DTS would be nice, but not necessary, I listen to most movies in Stereo anyway.
Old 11-17-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then it's the AV-600 for me. Looks like I'm going to get one for under $200 too...(maybe). Still, it would be nice to have that RC-2000 Mk II...I've been sweating that remote for a long time now. Thanks again for the help, for me upgradability is more important than internal processing. DD/DTS would be nice, but not necessary, I listen to most movies in Stereo anyway.<HR>

I forgot to mention 2 things:

1) The AV-600 sounds better in stereo than the AV-550.
2) Later versions of the AV-600 came with the RC-2000 MK I (mark one); earlier versions came with a smaller but decent learning remote. Make sure you find out which remote you're getting.

That's a great pre-amp for $200, either way.

-S
Old 11-18-00, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually had the chance to hear the AV-600 as well. Not with my speakers, but with some similar equipment. It was on a Marantz amp and some paradigm monitor 9's at the time. Sounded great. The unit I bid on is the non-RC2000 version, which is okay. I can always pick one up for $100-$125 if I really want one (Christmas is right around the corner too!). I just can't stand all these touch screen remotes flooding the market. I like the feel of buttons, be able to adjust stuff without looking to see where the right part of the screen is. Another plus is I already have the Marantz CD-67U 5 disk cd changer as well that came with a pretty cool remote as well, but either way they should be compatible. Anyhow, thanks again for the help. I'll let you know how it sounds once I break the amp in...

Brian
Old 11-19-00, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've actually had the chance to hear the AV-600 as well. Not with my speakers, but with some similar equipment. It was on a Marantz amp and some paradigm monitor 9's at the time. Sounded great. The unit I bid on is the non-RC2000 version, which is okay. I can always pick one up for $100-$125 if I really want one (Christmas is right around the corner too!). I just can't stand all these touch screen remotes flooding the market. I like the feel of buttons, be able to adjust stuff without looking to see where the right part of the screen is. Another plus is I already have the Marantz CD-67U 5 disk cd changer as well that came with a pretty cool remote as well, but either way they should be compatible. Anyhow, thanks again for the help. I'll let you know how it sounds once I break the amp in...

Brian
<HR>

I just read that the AV-600 does not have 5.1 inputs, and only has a DB-25 input.

You should definitely check into that before buying. Sorry for the mis-info above.

-Steve