DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   blurays don't work? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/616134-blurays-dont-work.html)

moviedog 12-20-13 07:06 PM

blurays don't work?

i have phillips bluray player.it only plays some blurays.won't play outlander
star trek into darkness and the thing-2012.player doesn't have usb port or internet.any ideas or similar problems.

JoeySeven 12-20-13 07:31 PM

Re: blurays don't work?

Sounds like you need a firmware update.
Most of my blu-ray players and HDTV have A Ethernet port.
I do have one LG plasma tv about 4 years old that has no way to connect to the internet though.

What model philips blu-ray player do you have?

Josh-da-man 12-20-13 08:31 PM

Two likely causes:

1. You need a firmware update. You'll either need to hook your player up to the internet with its ethernet port or wifi (if you player has wifi), or burn the firmware update to a disc and put the disc in the player.

2. Your player is shot. Sometimes players stop recognizing blu-ray discs; my first player gradually stopped recognizing blu-rays but could still read DVDs.

davidlynchfan 12-25-13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by moviedog (Post 11952412)
i have phillips bluray player.it only plays some blurays.won't play outlander
star trek into darkness and the thing-2012.player doesn't have usb port or internet.any ideas or similar problems.

therein lies your problem. why anyone would want a Blu-ray player not named Sony,Panasonic or Oppo is still beyond me. of course those aforementioned brand aren't perfect but will give you the least problems.

Spottedfeather 12-25-13 07:22 PM

I had that same thing. I have It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. There is a documentary on it that wouldn't play on my player. So, I thought it would be a good idea to update the firmware....which was a chore since I had to make a disc and update that way. But after I did, the documentary would play. Though, it's weird. I also have Changeling. Part way through the movie, there is a scene where the movie would freeze then skip ahead about 10 seconds....even after the firmware update. But now, for some reason, the movies seems to work just fine.

It's a Magnavox player that's 5 years old. Works pretty well for the most part. Though, with Universal blu-rays, sometime when I pause then fast forward several speeds rather quickly, the movie tends to go back to the main menu. Don't know what's up with that. Only happens about 1 time out of 10 or so.

bunkaroo 12-26-13 11:23 AM

If it doesn't have an ethernet port of a USB port, you may have to check the Philips site for firmware that can be burned to a disc.

That said, I know there are good Sony and Panasonic players for well under $100. Well worth it.