Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

3D TVs-are they about to go away?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

3D TVs-are they about to go away?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 3D TVs-are they about to go away?

I still want one although I'm not really enthused on the available of 3D titles. Might be different if I had kids to entertain.

Only 3D movies I can think of at present time would be Titantic. Top Gun and maybe House Of Wax.
Old 09-18-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.
Old 09-18-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I was amazed at how good Top Gun looked in 3D, but I still think 3D conversions are silly as long as there are tons of REAL 3D movies out there that haven't been released (re-packaging the crappy red and blue 3D disc of "Friday the 13th Part 3" in the new box set instead of remastering it in proper Blu-Ray 3D was an absolute insult!)
Old 10-22-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that "fake" 3d movies seem meaningless.

That said, I was never a fan of 3d tvs, then finally got one.

REAL 3d movies look great (I have passive 3d glasses - no batteries).

I'm a fan now, though it will still be a slightly used feature.
Old 11-03-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow..so much hatred for 3D.
I love it. There are some movies that look amazing in 3D. I agree about the active 3D glasses. The shutter effect can get really annoying, which is why I chose to go with Passive 3D.

It's a special treat every now and then and I like having a TV that can do it. Even some movies that were not originally shot in 3D look awesome. Lion King blew me away. It looked like Zazu was flying through my living room.
Old 11-03-13, 03:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i'm a very recent adopter (1.5 weeks) and i love it. now, when i see shows and movies i want them all to be in 3D.
Old 11-03-13, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'm a very recent adopter (1.5 weeks) and i love it. now, when i see shows and movies i want them all to be in 3D.
Awesome, glad you are enjoying 3D. I'm like you whenever a movie I like is in 3D I buy and watch that version. I've never seen most of the 3D movies I own in 2D. LOL
Old 12-18-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a 3DTV Owner I love it. Gaming is great in 3D. There is a depth that makes the image pop. For the haters converted movies tend to look terrible. I'd recommend Dredd and Bolt as movies that really show off when 3D is done properly.

I am actually now looking for a new TV and 3D and lots of HDMI inputs are a must.
Old 01-07-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another nail in the coffin?

It's Just About Over For 3-D TV
By Caroline Siede - The AV Club

Much to the chagrin of all seven people who bought them, it looks like 3-D TVs will no longer be one of the technologies of the future. According to Variety, electronics company Vizio has dropped 3-D support from its 2014 lineup of televisions, just the latest harbinger that 3-D television is all but over. Instead, the company is focusing on Ultra HD TVs, which provide four times the resolution of regular HD. Those sets will support Netflix’s newly developed 4K content, which right now basically amounts to the upcoming second season of House Of Cards.

Back in the innocent days of 2010, 3-D televisions were spotlighted as the next big thing in TV manufacturing. The trend never really caught on, however, partially due to the lack of content—but mostly due to the fact that wearing 3-D glasses in your house feels really stupid. ESPN shut down its 3-D channel last year, and Vizio’s decision looks to be the final nail in the coffin. Perhaps now Vizio can dedicate its resources to developing the flying cars, hoverboards, and powerlacing shoes that Back To The Future II promised us would be around by 2015.
Old 01-07-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Another nail in the coffin?

It's Just About Over For 3-D TV
By Caroline Siede - The AV Club

Much to the chagrin of all seven people who bought them, it looks like 3-D TVs will no longer be one of the technologies of the future. According to Variety, electronics company Vizio has dropped 3-D support from its 2014 lineup of televisions, just the latest harbinger that 3-D television is all but over. Instead, the company is focusing on Ultra HD TVs, which provide four times the resolution of regular HD. Those sets will support Netflix’s newly developed 4K content, which right now basically amounts to the upcoming second season of House Of Cards.

Back in the innocent days of 2010, 3-D televisions were spotlighted as the next big thing in TV manufacturing. The trend never really caught on, however, partially due to the lack of content—but mostly due to the fact that wearing 3-D glasses in your house feels really stupid. ESPN shut down its 3-D channel last year, and Vizio’s decision looks to be the final nail in the coffin. Perhaps now Vizio can dedicate its resources to developing the flying cars, hoverboards, and powerlacing shoes that Back To The Future II promised us would be around by 2015.
IF new 3D TVs stop being made, will the only recourse for watching 3D releases be to buy an 'old' TV...?
Old 01-07-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
As a 3DTV Owner I love it. Gaming is great in 3D. There is a depth that makes the image pop.
I agree with this. 3D is great for gaming as it almost always one continuous shot. Every time there's a cut in a 3D movie, your brain has to readjust to the depth of the image, making it ineffective at best and headache inducing at worst. Gravity worked well as a 3D movie since it had few cuts. Videogames work even better since they have no cuts. Sports should work well. Most other movies do not work well in 3D because of all the cutting.
Old 01-07-14, 11:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Visio no longer making 3D TV's is a game changer?
Old 01-07-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I did think it was odd that Sony, at the very least, didn't think to prioritize 3D Blu-ray capabilities in it's PS4. Neither it nor the XBox One can play 3D Blu-rays (actually, both are worse than the PS3 in playing Blu-rays and DVDs in general).
Old 01-07-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Visio no longer making 3D TV's is a game changer?
I don't know if it's a game changer, but isn't Vizio one of (or the?) largest sellers of TVs? I think that's pretty big when the average people go and buy TV's at Best Buy or Costco and won't have 3D.
Old 01-07-14, 04:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I thought LG, Samsung, and Sharp were, but I don't know shit about those numbers. Vizio could very well be the biggest. I think the whole "nail in the coffin" is a bit embellished. Now if Vizio was the LAST TV manufacturer to make 3D, then yeah, it's big news. If the studios follow along and stop releasing 3D Blu's, then I would definitely say it's over. But they don't seem to be slowing one bit when it comes to releasing stuff in 3D.
Old 01-07-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Vizio sucks anyways- it's actually thanks to them that I HAVE a 3D TV now, as the 2D set I bought from them in late 2009 crapped out after a forced firmware update that they refused to acknowledge.

So 3D isn't going to be "the next big thing", but I don't get why the press sees such a need to crap on it every chance they get. The glasses have NEVER been a problem or distraction for me. I just wish there were as many people in the press who don't like the current state of broadcast and cable TV as there are those who don't like 3D. And what the hell is with this "3D is out, 4K is in?" Wouldn't 4K IN 3D be the ultimate??? That's like saying "forget color TV, now we have HDTV- but it's still black and white!"

I guess all I can do is keep buying all the 3D titles I can to show my support...