Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations wanted for Surround Sound Headphones (wireless or otherwise)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-15-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo, most of the way through another deployment. Looking forward to getting back to my little apartment stateside...and saved up a bit so I can treat myself to a few surprises.

Haven't been able to utilize the bass as much as I'd like for my video games and movies in my past few apartments. Or up the volume quite as much - or deal with the occasional item with loud/soft extremes - having to keep adjusting volume to keep the neighbors from calling the cops.

Basically - looking for good, solid recommendations for a set of good surround sound headphones (earbuds work well for me since I wear glasses - but obviously big also works for sitting in front of the TV). Wireless would be a plus, but not a necessity if it drives up the cost inordinately - I only need a cable length of 10 to 15 feet due to the limited size of my living room. Looking at an upper price tag of $500 or so as well, but I'm considering items across that price range ($100-$500).

I assume that I shouldn't have any issues plugging these into the headphone jack in my Onkyo receiver (purchased 2008 - model # escapes me - but I previously posted it here on dvdtalk when looking for recommendations - but due to my lousy slow connection right now I can't look it up) - pretty sure it was DTS 7.1 capable, but I'm only using DTS/Dolby 5.1 right now with my speaker wiring setup.

If you need additional details to assist recommendations, please let me know, I may be able to dig up further information - hoping to get something ordered online by mid-Sep so it's waiting for me on arrival.

Thanks.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-20-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Recommendations wanted for Surround Sound Headphones (wireless or otherwise)

I use the Sony Playstion Pulse Elite. its wireless and 7.1, but the 7.1 is only available when connected to the ps3. when using regular headphone jack its only stereo. about $130, and its wireless or wired. for wireless you connect the headphone jack to a usb stick into any powered usb slot (just needs power, no data).
Old 09-07-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Recommendations wanted for Surround Sound Headphones (wireless or otherwise)

Originally Posted by redbill
I use the Sony Playstion Pulse Elite. its wireless and 7.1, but the 7.1 is only available when connected to the ps3. when using regular headphone jack its only stereo. about $130, and its wireless or wired. for wireless you connect the headphone jack to a usb stick into any powered usb slot (just needs power, no data).
Thanks for the recommendation. I only have a 360 right now, and I'm not sure if my receiver has a USB port. I'll have to check when I get back.
Old 12-28-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok. Finally picked up the Turtle Beach XP400. They seem to be working fine for the 360....but I might need to change some settings - can't get any audio for any other devices - even though I have optical audio running from the Receiver.

Any tips on what I might need to change (or where I might need to adjust settings) in order to get audio through the headset for blurays as well? I was under the impression there would be no issues.
Old 12-29-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps you need to select a lower audio track, like stereo? Or make sure down mix settings are set to work with whatever your phones can handle.
Old 12-29-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Perhaps you need to select a lower audio track, like stereo? Or make sure down mix settings are set to work with whatever your phones can handle.
Well they're supposed to be surround sound (at least 5.1) capable. I'll try Onkyo tech support. I saw another guy on Amazon mentioned getting them with an Onkyo receiver, but I'm pretty sure he's using a much more recent model - although with all the inputs on the back, I'm pretty sure mine's capable.