Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

First Post, a few questions.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-30-13, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

Ive lurked around a little bit, figured I would register and join in on the discussion! A little background on my collecting, I have around 500 movies (dvd/bluray combined count) So not huge but not bad considering I haven't actually tried to 'collect' I just buy movies I like.

So I have 2 questions and i'll just jump right in.

Question 1: I keep my movies in binders right now because I don't have room to display all of the cases. I have noticed movies that I watch less start to develop this...sort of coat on the back and then they wont play/skip a lot. It doesn't wipe off with any cleaning solution I have tried, but it does come off with a proffesional 'cleaning' in those machines. Do you guys know what Im talking about? and is there an easier (cheaper) solution?

Question 2: Is there such thing as a relatively cheap wireless surround sound system that I could run through my PS3? I use it to play most of my movies but my TV has absolutely dreadful sound and i would like a set up where I didn't have wiring running all over the place.
Old 07-01-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: First Post, a few questions.

Hi.

1) Sure. Hot water.
2) They exist. This has been recommended recently for those that want a soundbar. Keep in mind you still need power for wireless speakers, so they usually have an electric cord. This set has wireless "sub" and surround speakers, where the sub plugs into power and the surrounds plug into the sub. So, it's partly wireless in that the signal is wireless from the front of your room to the back.
Old 07-01-13, 10:47 AM

I will have to take a picture of the 'film' im talking about today, Ive tried water and it didn't seem to have any effect.

And thank you for the reccomendation, thats what I was looking for.

EDIT: It seems because of the reflective surface of the disc getting a picture is pretty much impossible. The closest Ive managed to come is still not a true representation of the problem. What it looks like is friction from slightly shifting around over time in the binder (There is no visible movement to me, but thats what it would appear to be) has "worn" the edges of the discs.

Last edited by TheGregzilla; 07-01-13 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, that sounds a bit like scratches. Meaning you have bad sleeves or whatever exactly the storage is. If it is a professional resurfacer that has been able to fix it, I would say no, there is no quick fix. I've used Case Logic and similar disc sleeve file cases for years without getting such issues. Although that is more CDs at my house. Some DVDs, some DVD-R.
Old 07-01-13, 06:02 PM

Well they are actually Case logic binders.

They appear like scratches but are smooth to the touch. The real difference though is that they are not all over the disc. but usually in one region of the disc. like a half circle across one side of the disc
Old 07-02-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe you have gremlins.