Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for the *Ultimate*, do-everything DVD Player - Suggestions?...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-27-13, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

So I am looking for the “end-all, be-all,” ultimate DVD player, to replace my dinosaur machine that’s just about ready to retire. Rather than just getting an equal level replacement, I’m looking to upgrade, to a machine that can do anything I should need of a standalone player in the foreseeable future.

Here are the features that I need in my hypothetical new player:

1. Must play all DVD formats (DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc.)
2. I'm in the U.S., but would like a player able to play any Region and NTSC/PAL format, as I have a few imported DVDs
3. Able to record onto DVD from various inputs, including standard A/V (for transferring VHS onto DVD), component, and HDMI (for recording from our digital cable box) (I've sort of gathered, from *other* forums, that there may not be a good player that covers all of my other needs, AND recording capabilities... but thought I'd ask here)
4. HDMI output
5. Up-scaling up to 1080p (my current TV outputs up to 720p, so I’d like a player that can up-scale to that point, and beyond for future TVs I might hook up to it; my knowledge on up-scaling is a little uneducated, so I don’t really know if it up-scales in increments for whatever your TV can output, or if up-scaling is a more general function that just outputs to the player’s maximum capability, regardless of your TV’s)
6. Coaxial digital audio output
7. Seamless layer break playback would be NICE, but not a deal-breaker
8. I’m flexible on cost, but preferably under $500…
9. And obviously, an overall QUALITY player!

I think that just about covers all my needs. If I think of anything else, I’ll mention it.

And another note – I’ve not yet really jumped on board the Blu-ray bandwagon, but if it would be more cost-effective to go with one that has all the features I’m after, I will happily consider the possibility.

Any and all knowledgeable input and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-28-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Looking for the *Ultimate*, do-everything DVD Player - Suggestions?...

1) Like a computer? Many seem to have chosen -R or +R for DVD players rather than both. Only Panasonic plays -RAM, also. But I'm guessing that one isn't really a big deal.
2) That makes it more interesting.
3) You've got a computer, right?
4) Easy.
5) Many do this, now. Bluray esp.
6) Not real important. You want HDMI, which covers that easily. Or, for $20 or less you should be able to get an optical to coax converter if it came to that.
7) I forgot about that. Are they still making players with this problem? I used to pay close attention. Bluray players that I've had don't show it.
8) Ooh....I know a really nice player (not recorder) right around $500.
9) Maybe I should sell you one of my players.

Frankly, such a player never existed with #3 included, depending on your definition of quality. And it's hard to find a recorder at all, anymore. Hence, my comment above. You can do so much more with a PC. But, here's an actual recommendation. Pick a Panasonic recorder, here's a few. Unless you are very picky, should do everything you want.

Oh, forgot. I don't believe you will find one with HDMI input. That was the point of HDMI, to prevent such things. Svideo is really the best you can hope for from a cable/sat TV source. Some combinations of devices would allow you to transfer TV to a computer digitally, but not to a standalone recorder.

Last edited by Spiky; 01-28-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Spiky pretty much summed things up. I don't think you will find this magical player that does all of these things. You are so concerned with upscaling and being ready for the future, so I don't really understand why you wouldn't think about getting a Blu-ray player, although I don't know how many have region-free capability.

I have an old Panasonic DVD recorder. I loved it back in the days before DVR, but I almost never use it now. But Spiky is right about its limitations as well. You aren't going to get a perfect HD recording from it or anything like that.

I actually think a home theater PC would be your best option. You could probably get just about all of the functionality that you want. Your price point might be an issue, but a computer will give you a lot of other uses as well.

Otherwise, I will just give the default Oppo recommendation. I don't know.
Old 01-30-13, 08:32 AM

1080p upscaling isn't possible with dvd players. 1080p is high def, and dvd format isn't high def. That was the whole purpose of blu ray. As mentioned, Oppo is the best bet. It's capable of a mod to be region free, but does not record. Oppo also plays sacd and dvd-a discs. They start at $500 though.
Old 01-30-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emoxley
1080p upscaling isn't possible with dvd players. 1080p is high def, and dvd format isn't high def.
Well, there are plenty of players that do this. That's why they need upscaling, because they aren't HD. Maybe you mean it won't look like true 1080 sources, like bluray. I'd definitely agree. But, just look down the list at any store, "upscaling" all over the place.
Old 01-30-13, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, there are plenty of players that do this. That's why they need upscaling, because they aren't HD. Maybe you mean it won't look like true 1080 sources, like bluray. I'd definitely agree. But, just look down the list at any store, "upscaling" all over the place.
It was my understanding that it's the tv doing the upscaling, and not a dvd player, though blu ray players do upscale?
Old 01-30-13, 11:19 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

It was my understanding that it's the tv doing the upscaling, and not a dvd player, though blu ray players do upscale?
If you output the signal from the player at DVD resolution, a HD TV will do the upscaling. If you output the signal from the player at HD resolution the HD TV will just accept it and display it at its native resolution. Plenty of DVD players will allow you to output a 1080p signal from a DVD, therefore it's upscaled in the player.
Old 01-31-13, 09:04 AM

Ok........ I've never heard of a dvd player that outputs an HD resolution. Anyone have links to these players?
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP599.../dp/B001AXBGZO

Just Google "upscaling dvd player" for others.
Old 01-31-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok........ I've never heard of a dvd player that outputs an HD resolution. Anyone have links to these players?
Oppo 981. It only had an HDMI output and no component outputs. That was 6 years ago. Before that there was the 971 in 2005 which had a DVI output but was limited to 1080i.
Old 01-31-13, 01:15 PM

Ok, after being into HT for almost twenty years, I've learned something new. I knew about Oppo players, but didn't know about the upscaling. They were for sacd and dvd-a playback. I just got my first HD tv about three years ago, so I wasn't looking for upscaling back then.
Old 01-31-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really depends on which device does the upscaling the best, too. Many people may now have a signal path where 3 devices are all capable of this: player-receiver-TV. So, try them all.
Old 02-04-13, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I never understood the whole purpose or why people make such a big deal over upscaling players. Don't ALL TVs upscale to their native resolutions? I have been under the impression that the built in upscaler in TVs are better than those in DVD players anyway.
Old 02-04-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the Oppo players have upscalers that should beat almost any TV currently made, and the current models actually accept HDMI input to scale other sources if you need it. But the $30 Magnavox DVDp at Walmart? Probably not.
Old 02-06-13, 03:09 AM

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

The need for a recorder at all is to transfer over the last few VHS home movies that I have onto disc before the tapes continue their inevitable degredation. I have not yet found an efficient and quality way of doing this through the computer. If someone could steer me in a good direction on that front, I could forgo the need of recording capabilities in whatever player I get.

In that case, what might be a good DVD (or Blu-ray, if it's more practical, even though I've not yet dove into that arena) player that suits the rest of my needs, primarily the up-scaling (which you all seem to have gotten quite in depth about) and the multi-region (is this really not so feasible?) capabilities?

I have checked out Oppo players a bit, but they do seem quite pricey (largely outside my budget) ><

@Spiky: Thanks for that link! Some of those look pretty interesting (for instance, the Panasonic DMR-EH59). What are the drawbacks?...

PS: Lol at the layer break thing. As you can tell, I am a bit behind the times, for I thought that freezing was basically a standard with nearly all players (except my ancient unit, somehow) xP

EDIT: I am debating whether it would be better to get a player like the Panasonic (can always get a basic Blu-ray player in the future), or to get a region free Blu-ray player and a device like the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe for making my transfers. Thoughtful opinions always appreciated!

Last edited by dimelives1; 02-06-13 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dimelives1
I have checked out Oppo players a bit, but they do seem quite pricey (largely outside my budget)
You said under $500 and the Oppo is right at $500. It's easily rendered region free and will last you for years.
Old 02-06-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

The need for a recorder at all is to transfer over the last few VHS home movies that I have onto disc before the tapes continue their inevitable degredation. I have not yet found an efficient and quality way of doing this through the computer. If someone could steer me in a good direction on that front, I could forgo the need of recording capabilities in whatever player I get.

EDIT: I am debating whether it would be better to get a player like the Panasonic (can always get a basic Blu-ray player in the future), or to get a region free Blu-ray player and a device like the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe for making my transfers. Thoughtful opinions always appreciated!
I have the Honestech and it works fine. I haven't done a ton of transferring since it takes place in real time, but no problems so far.
Old 02-06-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You said under $500 and the Oppo is right at $500. It's easily rendered region free and will last you for years.
To be completely forthright, the region free mod will also cost money, making it more like $600, maybe even $700 since the 103 model is so new. But I like mine.

dimelives1,
With your list of needs, I'd probably go for one of those region free recorders. It's about the same price as a non-Oppo region-free bluray player, and will do very nice recording. I had a Panny recorder once, and made plenty of excellent discs that I still use. Not so much from VHS, but those I recorded off DirecTV were great.

The Oppos we all like are great machines, but unless you want to spend a bunch, switch to bluray, and either drop the recording or get yet another machine for that...I'd have to say it probably isn't what you asked for.
Old 02-06-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiky
To be completely forthright, the region free mod will also cost money, making it more like $600, maybe even $700 since the 103 model is so new. But I like mine.
Actually, there are already mod kits for the 103 for $60 on eBay and they're dropping in price every week. I expect they'll be available for $30 within a month.
Old 02-08-13, 03:54 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all your input and suggestions. I really appreciate it all.

After careful consideration, I think I've decided to go with a Blu-ray player with multi-region DVD capabilities, as well as the Honestech device for transfering over my old VHS tapes to disc (the software even supports Blu-ray burning, so if I ever get a Blu-ray writer one of these days, I could burn to that format as well, which sounds pretty cool )

For the player, I am leaning toward a Toshiba BDX1300RF (searchable on Amazon). It appears to cover all my bases, and has pretty decent reviews (not to mention a much nicer price tag for my limited budget!)

So thanks again, guys, for helping me along. Any further comments always appreciated
Old 02-08-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I have checked out Oppo players a bit, but they do seem quite pricey (largely outside my budget) ><
They are over-priced ("Oh, but they are a small company...just trying to make a dollar"...I've already heard that sob story. Doesn't do shit for me.), and not to mention, love to change the "features" as per movie studio request, so stay away. You're better taking a chance with a $150 Blu-ray player that you can mod yourself, and is "naturally region free" (meaning, you won't have to pay another $100 to make your $500 brick play B and C movies).

Btw, I own an Oppo BDP-93, and have a love/hate relationship with it. Solid player, but the company has changed. Few things that need to be addressed is Oppo's disgustingly large remote which needs to be reduced by 50%. It also has a difficult time communicating with the player, and seems to be operating worse since Oppo's firmware updates over the last year.
Old 02-09-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. Do you not use enough of its features, so its value is reduced? Mine replaced a $1000 DVDp, worth every penny. Haven't seen a single cheaper player that could have replaced mine.

I use a universal remote with a repeater system, no issues.
Old 02-09-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Well, I use Netflix, but as we all know...NetFlix sucks, and I'm probably going to go with another service. However, the pressing of a button on the Oppo remote...to...the...time...it...takes...for...movie...to...play...is really ridiculous. Not sure if this is Netflix's own software issue or not, but there's a terrible delay.

I do like the network capabilities, but really, how many other $250 models of other brands such as Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and so forth offer the same features? Many of them do for half the price of the Oppo.

As to buying a universal remote, I had a $200+ Logitech, but that crapped out a few years ago, so I'm just kinda fed up with having to buy new stuff. I don't have a universal remote now, and may never get one. And I shouldn't have to rely on a 3rd party to release a remote that is functional for my player.

I will say Avatar looked absolutely fantastic on the BDP-93, and is a reference title to view for proper color calibration and just outright high-def viewing, but I have to wonder if players costing half the price or even less...look about as good.

Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with this player, as I was really irritated with how Oppo dealt with reversing firmware features, and the massive remote size which should have been taken care of before the launch of the 93.

What's even more surprising, is Oppo decided to actually make a NETFLIX button for the Oppo BDP-103 remote, which makes the remote even more out of date I think because Netflix is not doing well as far as service and offerings of new titles. The added VUDU button will probably be more reliable for future use.

But once again, the remote on the 103 is STILL THE SAME SIZE. It does not need to be that thick. Cut the thickness by half and I'd be happy. I'd also be willing to "upgrade" my remote if Oppo offered new remotes as a separate purchase upgrade possibility. So far, they have not even hinted at a new remote design. Another major concern, is if a person loses the remote...you're fucked. Oppo doesn't have a menu button on their players to access menus or anything. All they offer is just a play and forward and reverse, and stop buttons. Oh yeah, there's an eject button, so thank God they have that on the player.

And what about if a person wanted to have two Oppo products? Does Oppo's remotes offer that feature? Nope.

However, on a more positive note, I have separate analog outs, which is a big deal to me since I don't want to upgrade to a new fancy-smancy A/V receiver just yet.

So, overall, like I said, it's a 50/50, but for $500, I shouldn't have to be going back and forth with opinions. Maybe I'm just too hard on companies who are claiming to be more "independent".

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-09-13 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you seem to be thinking out loud, here, with so many topics. But a couple comments:

If you lose the remote, you can purchase a new one for a decent price very easily.
Or there is an iOS app for free, or Android. And no IR with that baby.
My 93 and remote have the option for three Oppos in the same room.
Netflix is not fast on any device I have tried, although I haven't tried the Oppo to compare.
Unfortunately, almost none of those other brands offer the analog output you are using, almost zero outside of Oppo at all, anymore. There is a Panny, however.
Did you actually use the ISO feature it had for 10 minutes? Or was there something else they reversed?
Old 02-09-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I actually like the size of my Oppo remote. My TV's remote is small and thin, and it often disappears when I need it most.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.