Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the ZVOX 555 Low-Profile Single-Cabinet Surround Sound System?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 09:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

thinking about getting this baby for a small room, with 32" Sony TV.

and wanted to know from anyone here...wondering how good it is? if it is good at all? does it decode all the signals like DTS, TrueHD or is that already done by the new Blu-ray player i plan on getting for room and thus not an issue?

thanks for any advice and/or comments...
Old 12-15-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone have the ZVOX 555 Low-Profile Single-Cabinet Surround Sound System?

Set one up for family member, it's a huge improvement over built in speakers but it is not a surround sound system. Think of it as enhanced tv speakers, I believe the optical in accepts only PCM or Dolby digital. It's a nice form factor for a tabletop setup and very easy to use. Probably not bad for small room.
Old 12-15-12, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by cseyer
Set one up for family member, it's a huge improvement over built in speakers but it is not a surround sound system. Think of it as enhanced tv speakers, I believe the optical in accepts only PCM or Dolby digital. It's a nice form factor for a tabletop setup and very easy to use. Probably not bad for small room.
but is it as clear as tv speakers and picks up whatever encode the Blu-ray player is picking up from Blu-ray? it basically sounds original, natural and not like it is reproducing sounds through another medium or anything?

thanks.
Old 12-15-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
but is it as clear as tv speakers and picks up whatever encode the Blu-ray player is picking up from Blu-ray? it basically sounds original, natural and not like it is reproducing sounds through another medium or anything?

thanks.
More clear than TV speakers or less muddy. It has a enhanced dialog feature that is good especially if you have trouble hearing spoken words on TV/movies.

Decoding would need to be done on board your bluray which is usually possible. Post your specific model and I can check.

I don't understand what you are asking. But it's sounds good but is not surround sound and not as high quality as a good receiver and speakers. Good for general tv watching and okay for movies. Better than built in tv speakers for everything.
Old 12-15-12, 05:17 PM

More clear than TV speakers or less muddy. It has a enhanced dialog feature that is good especially if you have trouble hearing spoken words on TV/movies.

Decoding would need to be done on board your bluray which is usually possible. Post your specific model and I can check.

I don't understand what you are asking. But it's sounds good but is not surround sound and not as high quality as a good receiver and speakers. Good for general tv watching and okay for movies. Better than built in tv speakers for everything.
thanks.

Sony BDP-S360 will be hooked up to Sony Bravia tv, then hooked to ZVOX 555. so if the player decodes DTS that is what will come through the ZVOX, right? bottomline, it plays whatever comes through tv speakers, but a little better...

would the sound fill up a small room though? is there a decent enough bass?
Old 12-16-12, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Why don't you want a surround system? You have a blu-ray player and high-def TV yet get half the home theater experience. I don't get it. An entry-level system is not that expensive.
Old 12-16-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks.

Sony BDP-S360 will be hooked up to Sony Bravia tv, then hooked to ZVOX 555. so if the player decodes DTS that is what will come through the ZVOX, right? bottomline, it plays whatever comes through tv speakers, but a little better...

would the sound fill up a small room though? is there a decent enough bass?
Yes your setup would work fine. Bass is limited, the unit has a line level sub output to which you could easily add an external sub. If you are looking for "room filling" and "decent enough bass" buy a surround sound setup with a sub. Wouldn't cost much more than this and you would have a lot more options for great sound, even if you just bought a receiver, three speakers, and a sub.
Old 12-16-12, 11:38 AM

^ thanks for responses. i am convinced this is what i am looking for right now.
Old 12-18-12, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Why don't you want a surround system? You have a blu-ray player and high-def TV yet get half the home theater experience. I don't get it. An entry-level system is not that expensive.
It's just a small little mancave and don't really need the whole package in it, plus don't want all the wiring. It's temporary really as I will be moving soon.
Old 12-19-12, 04:59 PM

So i just got this, hooked it up and it indeed sounds great. much fuller, richer sound than standard tv speakers which on the Sony is on back of tv. much better now.

however, one certain channel, the sound drops during commercials a great deal. it goes very low and dull just during the commercials and then ramps back up when the broadcast is on. NBC 4 if that makes a difference.

i seem to only notice it on this channel and no other. i have DE on also. wondering if it is the channel itself or a setting on ZVOX i am not understanding or unaware of.

can't understand such a drop.

have anything like this happen?
Old 12-19-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It's just a small little mancave and don't really need the whole package in it, plus don't want all the wiring. It's temporary really as I will be moving soon.
I've had 5.1 systems in a small bedroom. You don't need big speakers and wires are easy to hide. I just like the sound of real surround rather than fake. And if you're moving soon why not just wait? As some of us have said, for the same money you can get a decent surround system.
Old 12-20-12, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've had 5.1 systems in a small bedroom. You don't need big speakers and wires are easy to hide. I just like the sound of real surround rather than fake. And if you're moving soon why not just wait? As some of us have said, for the same money you can get a decent surround system.
i'll see about upgrading later. i bit on the ZVOX and love it so far. the sound is so rich and full, just a couple of hiccups with sound dropping during commercials is all.
Old 12-20-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

however, one certain channel, the sound drops during commercials a great deal. it goes very low and dull just during the commercials and then ramps back up when the broadcast is on. NBC 4 if that makes a difference.
Sounds like a dream come true. Can I get that on all of my TV stations?
Old 12-21-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So i just got this, hooked it up and it indeed sounds great. much fuller, richer sound than standard tv speakers which on the Sony is on back of tv. much better now.

i seem to only notice it on this channel and no other. i have DE on also. wondering if it is the channel itself or a setting on ZVOX i am not understanding or unaware of.

can't understand such a drop.

have anything like this happen?
Glad it mostly worked out for you. Sounds like a decoding issue on the commercials, I really have no idea. You could try calling their customer support and see if they have heard of the issue 866-FOR-ZVOX
Old 03-21-13, 01:15 PM
Banned

How is the Zvox working for you so far? Aperion Audio has a Zona HAL system that will allow you to connect a subwoofer wirelessly.
Old 03-22-13, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by HARVDOGG
How is the Zvox working for you so far? Aperion Audio has a Zona HAL system that will allow you to connect a subwoofer wirelessly.
i absolutely love it. full, rich sound that is ten times better than the tv speakers. it isn't surround sound and no subwoofer or anything, but nice bass and crisp sound. makes movies and tv sound a lot better.