Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone own JBL Studio Series?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone own JBL Studio Series?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-00, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the S38 for fronts the S26 for surrounds & the S-center, does anyone have a opinion on these?
Old 10-25-00, 09:07 AM

Hey Markja,
I own the JBL Studio S-310's (fronts), the S-Center, and the S-26's (rears). I auditioned many speakers but found that nothing offered me as much performance in the Studio Seris price range. The S-26's are okay. I wouldn't use them for anything other then rears, but they sound good. The S-Center is absolutely wonderful. You get very natural sounding voices and dialouge while maintaining excellent mids. I absolutely love the S-310's. They ofer the right amount of bass to complement my sub (AR ARS500) and produce such amazing highs and mids. I know a friend with the S-38's and he loves them too. Definately give these speakers a listen and you will hear for yourself. I couldn't be happier and feel I got the best HT system for my money. Just FYI I am powering these with a Sony 555es reciever. Good luck and if you have any quesions just ask.
Old 10-25-00, 10:52 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the help, I found a site selling the S36 for $239 I never heard of this one before? dose anyone have any info?
Old 10-25-00, 11:59 AM
ed

Check out this link for additional JBL info:
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004660.html

Read consumer reviews for various audio products here: http://www.audioreview.com/

Old 10-25-00, 12:34 PM

I never heard of the S36's so I would assume that this is a typo and they are talking about the S26's. The price of $239 for the pair seems a little high considering I paid $200 for them. The S38's should be priced around $300 while the center should be priced around $175. The site I got my JBL's from stopped selling JBL speakers because Harman International is no longer allowing internet only sales. Here is the website for another site I was considering purchasing my JBL's from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/y3kdigital/jbl.html. The prices at this site are almost the same as the site I got my JBLs from so check it out.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited October 25, 2000).]
Old 10-25-00, 03:21 PM
Cool New Member

The site also has the S36
it looks like the only difference is it has a 6in woofer instead of the 8in. Here is the link to them.http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/electronics-audio-products-home-theater---speakers-jbl.html Also has anyone bought though Dynadirect.com? are they trustworthy?

[This message has been edited by Markja (edited October 25, 2000).]

Old 10-25-00, 04:04 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markja:
The site also has the S26 it looks like the only difference is it has a 6in woofer instead of the 8in. <HR>

You specified in your post that you wanted the S26s for your surrounds. Didn't you know what these speakers were? That is not the only difference between the S38 and the S26. The other difference is that the S38s are a 3-way speaker which means they include a mid-range also. I would recommend actually understanding what the components within a particular speaker are before asking opinions on them. The basic specs on speakers are located on each manufacturers website. Look at those sites to help you narrow down your prospective choices.

I have never shopped from that online store but have had nothing but good experiences from other Yahoo etailers. Their prices look resonable so I wouldn't be worried.
Old 10-25-00, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

I know the difference bettween the two, what I was asking was if the JBL Studio S36 Speaker would be as good as the s38 the s36 is one I never heard of here is the specs
Maximum Amplifier Power: 150-Watts
Functions as left, center, right or surround speakers
Low Frequencey Transducer: 6" PolyPlas low frequency woofer
Midrange Transducer: 4" PolyPlays midrange
High-Frequency Transducer: 1" pure titanium elliptical tweeter Power handling: 150 watts max
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 88dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Crossover-Frequencies: 800Hz, 320Hz
Frequency Response (-3dB): 60Hz - 20kHz
Baffles: Low-diffraction IsoPower; sealed enclosure
Networks: Straight-line Signal Path (SSP)
Terminals: All-metal, 5-way, gold-plated binding posts
I never heard of these and can't find them on JBL's site but Dynadirect has them listed for $239. And says they are in stock. I was wondering if the 6in woofer would make a big difference if I had a decent sub? Thanks for the help! Sorry I typed the wrong model I the other post!

Old 10-25-00, 10:49 PM

In my opinion the difference between the 6" woofer and the 8" woofer is pretty noticeable. I have the S26 and while they put out a decent amount of bass my friends S38s hit much harder. I would definately go with the S38 for mains. You definately want a bigger set of speakers for fronts that put out some decent bass. This holds true even if you have a sub.