Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Apex AD500A

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Apex AD500A

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-00, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wondering if I should pick up this cheap player for certain features. I know this does not have the "Loophole" menu of the old AD600A. It does have PAL capability. But I can find no evidence that it plays anything but Region 1 discs. Maybe I'm missing something but what good is playing PAL if it doesn't play other regions? Why would anyone make a PAL disc for an NTSC region?

For example, the British Prisoner set would be PAL but Region 2, I would think.

If I'm stupid, someone please help me.

I've got to go to bed now. Maybe when I get up tomorrow, some kind member will have given me an answer.
Old 10-22-00, 12:32 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by movielib:
I'm wondering if I should pick up this cheap player for certain features. I know this does not have the "Loophole" menu of the old AD600A. It does have PAL capability. But I can find no evidence that it plays anything but Region 1 discs. Maybe I'm missing something but what good is playing PAL if it doesn't play other regions? Why would anyone make a PAL disc for an NTSC region?

For example, the British Prisoner set would be PAL but Region 2, I would think.

If I'm stupid, someone please help me.

I've got to go to bed now. Maybe when I get up tomorrow, some kind member will have given me an answer.
<HR>

I don't know about kind, but it doesn't seem to make sense to have PAL output with only region 1 ability. Maybe this player is made to work in all regions before they "fix it" to only one region. They would only have to change the firmware, not the hardware which would be world-wide capable.
Old 10-22-00, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
I don't know about kind, but it doesn't seem to make sense to have PAL output with only region 1 ability. Maybe this player is made to work in all regions before they "fix it" to only one region. They would only have to change the firmware, not the hardware which would be world-wide capable.<HR>

Thanks, X. I think it was made for the U.S. market and it has the region 1 symbol on the back just like my own players have. I suppose it could be made all region capable by the right firmware but couldn't that be done with one of my own (better) players too?

I'd rather get a cheap player that was already all region capable than going through the hassle of sending one of mine to someone for the change. In fact, I probably just won't bother to do that.

It looks like there are still "Loophole" AD600As on eBay (as long as the sellers don't use the wrong words and have eBay cancel their auctions) but they're getting pretty expensive.
Old 10-22-00, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Upon further investigation, I think I understand what the player does regarding PAL. I think it can take an NTSC signal and convert it to PAL for a PAL television.
Old 10-22-00, 07:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by movielib:
Upon further investigation, I think I understand what the player does regarding PAL. I think it can take an NTSC signal and convert it to PAL for a PAL television. <HR>

That's like the AD-600A. The setup lets you output NTSC or PAL. I guess if you lived in Europe and wanted to watch region 1 movies, you'd be ok.