DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Walmart's DVD conversion service (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/602216-walmarts-dvd-conversion-service.html)

TGM 06-06-12 07:12 AM

Walmart's DVD conversion service

http://screenrant.com/walmart-dvd-to...-pauly-159298/

Have you ever wanted to take an old DVD from your collection and transfer it to your laptop, phone or tablet, but had neither the time or know-how to make that happen? Typically, your only choices would be to lug a portable DVD player around and a stack of DVDs with you or use an online service like Netflix, Hulu Plus, iTunes or the Android Marketplace. The antiquated way requires the hauling around of bulky equipment while the newer ways to watch movies require a great internet connection for an enjoyable experience.

Wal-Mart aims to offer a solution to that dilemma next month when they begin rolling out a new DVD-to-digital service at their 3500+ store locations. Wal-Mart worked out a deal with five of the biggest studios in Hollywood – 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. – to allow customers to bring in their own DVDs and have them stored digitally on an internet “cloud.”

Starting on April 16th, for the modest sum of $2, anyone can bring a DVD to a Wal-Mart Photo Center and have it transferred digitally to a Vudu account (Wal-Mart’s online streaming movie service). Or for $5, users can have a standard DVD upgraded to a High Definition copy. Either way, Wal-Mart will stamp each DVD to ensure that none are uploaded more than once. Rented DVDs from Redbox, Netflix, Blockbuster or other types of rental services are not eligible for transfer.

Customers will then be able to access their newly uploaded films through their Vudu account, which will now be part of the UltraViolet online movie network. Previously, Vudu allowed customers to rent movies – including new movies on the same day they are released – which gave it a leg up on companies like Netflix who has to wait 28 days for new releases. UltraViolet provides a slightly different service by allowing customers to download, stream or transfer movies between devices once purchased but those movies must be part of the UltraViolet library. One notable and major drawback to the service UltraViolet provides is the obvious lack of older titles available for purchase, but this new DVD-to-digital service offered by Wal-Mart should change all that.

While at first glance this seems like a win-win situation, there are limitations – namely the number of titles available for digital conversion. Only movies produced and previously converted by those five studios will be eligible for transfer. So, that copy of Roger Corman’s Fantastic Four you bought on VHS at WonderCon in 1995 cannot be transferred digitally to your tablet – sorry. Also, most of these studios have not yet converted all their titles to a digital format – Universal still has around 700 films from its 1300 film library yet to convert. In addition, access to your films will require that UltraViolet’s cloud stay up and running with very few interruptions. It also assumes the company won’t eventually go belly up leaving all your copies drifting through cyberspace.

However, the upsides to this new service seem to outweigh the potentially bad, not the least of which is being able to transfer the movie between multiple devices. Let’s say you are waiting in line (for days) to purchase tickets to see The Hunger Games or The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and want to pass the time watching Fletch on your tablet but the battery dies – no worries, just stream or download the film to your phone or laptop. This new service will be a great option for parents who usually have to drag every one of their kids’ DVDs along on a road trip. Now they can just download all those digital copies to their laptop and let the good (and quiet) times roll.

cseyer 06-06-12 02:24 PM

Re: Walmart's DVD conversion service

I have "converted" 6 DVD's to HD VUDU copies. DVD's are not converted they just verify you have the right movie, stamp the hub in black ink, and grant you a digital copy in your VUDU account.

Other notes, so far love the service, movies are in full HDX (Vudu Term) on the PS3. However they play in SD on the iPad and your pc, still look pretty good but lower res for sure.

zyzzle 06-06-12 05:09 PM

Huh?? What's the point? Digital is Digital! Remove that DRM and be done with it.

The studios really do leave no stone unturned when it comes to devising new ways of fleecing their 'customers' (AKA: "the sheep".)

JZ1276 06-06-12 06:18 PM

Two questions.
1- What do they do as far as extras?
2- With all the bitching about the studios, why not just download the movie?

mike07 06-07-12 09:59 AM

$2 to have to use the internet to watch my movies? No thanks!

BobO'Link 06-07-12 11:43 AM

Has anyone attempted to remove the "ink" with De-Solv-It or Goo-Gone?

This adds a new wrinkle to purchasing used disks. While I have *no* intentions of using the "service" I don't want to purchase something used and have it already "redeemed". I know of people who purchase a DVD/CD, make a copy, sell it back. I can see some doing the purchase, "converting", sell it back.

TomOpus 06-07-12 12:31 PM

I thought there was already a thread about this from earlier in the year?

Numanoid 06-07-12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 11262966)
I know of people who purchase a DVD/CD, make a copy, sell it back. I can see some doing the purchase, "converting", sell it back.

That's silly. Don't they know that's what Netflix is for?

Patman 06-10-12 01:13 PM

Do they offer the service for LaserDiscs?

Spiky 06-10-12 03:35 PM

I know of people who purchase a DVD/CD, make a copy, sell it back. I can see some doing the purchase, "converting", sell it back.

If you are going to all that trouble, wouldn't you just learn how to do it at home for much closer to free?

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 11266653)

rotfl

cseyer 06-13-12 12:00 PM

Has anyone attempted to remove the "ink" with De-Solv-It or Goo-Gone?

This adds a new wrinkle to purchasing used disks. While I have *no* intentions of using the "service" I don't want to purchase something used and have it already "redeemed". I know of people who purchase a DVD/CD, make a copy, sell it back. I can see some doing the purchase, "converting", sell it back.

I havent tried, might try to see if its removable. Looked like a permanent ink to me after the Walmart photo counter guy got it all over his hands and it wouldnt wipe off.

I agree it does present an interesting wrinkle in the used disc arena, my guess is this program doesnt make a very big dent at all. I dont think many people are doing this. The photo guy said I was the first to do the conversion.

I hear all the download illegal copy folks, not for me. I like movies and I want the film industry to get paid so we can continue to have great flicks.

This service works for me because the quality of the digital copy is higher definition than my DVD and available in the cloud. My homegrown digital copies (from movies I own) and those on itunes that come with discs are locked up on my server and not accesible on the road.

cseyer 06-13-12 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 11262060)
Two questions.
1- What do they do as far as extras?

No extras that I have seen but you still retain your discs and extras. I rarely watch extras and never watch them more than once so its not a concern to me.

mike7162 06-13-12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 11266653)

Now that's a service I can get behind!

movieguru 07-15-12 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by cseyer (Post 11261693)
I have "converted" 6 DVD's to HD VUDU copies. DVD's are not converted they just verify you have the right movie, stamp the hub in black ink, and grant you a digital copy in your VUDU account.

Other notes, so far love the service, movies are in full HDX (Vudu Term) on the PS3. However they play in SD on the iPad and your pc, still look pretty good but lower res for sure.

I don't see much use for this. everything will eventually be available through Netflix or some other service for a low monthly fee.

But if the bolded is true, this would be great if you have a scratched or damaged disc that won't play and don't want to fork out the money for a new DVD.