Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the best single/multi-disc DVD player with DTS & CD-R compatability?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What's the best single/multi-disc DVD player with DTS & CD-R compatability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-00, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

------------------
"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them. I don't give a f*** how crazy they are."

CDTracker
DVDProfiler
DVDTracker

[This message has been edited by gotdvd? (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Pioneer makes either a 3 disc or 5 disc DVD changer that can play CD-Rs and RWs. Not sure of the model number or price but it might be something worth checking out.

------------------
Dave My DVDs(Not updated anymore since DVD Tracker uncooly started charging). My Humble Home Theatre
Old 10-15-00, 08:07 PM
BEC

As already hinted, nearly all current Pioneer DVD players are CD-R capable.The entry level pioneer DV333 ($250) is an excellent single disc player w/CD-R&DTS bit stream output. Last year's DV525 ($200) is the same basic player w/a few less features (smooth scans).

Panasonic has a budget model (rv-30?) w/CD-R. W/all the 11X,31X model woes, entry level Panasonic is a little scary for my tastes.

For CD-R playback, the player almost always needs "twin lasers".

All recent model DVD players (eg any 2000 model) from major makers will output DTS bitstream.

Phillips, Apex, raite are less reliable options w/Cd-R playback.IMO, not worth the potential trouble.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited October 15, 2000).]
Old 10-15-00, 09:34 PM

The best DVD players, single or multi, that will play CD-R and CD-RW formats are made by Pioneer.

In their standard Pioneer Electronics line, there is the budget priced single disc DV-333 and DV-434. The 434 is also a single disc but includes progressive scan output. They are also going to introduce a couple 5 disc models in this line as well, if they haven't already. Pioneer also has a 300+1 DVD/CD mega changer that plays all formats.

For better sound and picture quality from Pioneer is their Elite series of products that offer better digital filters and a longer warranty (to name a couple upgrades). In this line-up, Pioneer Elite offers a 5 disc changer with progressive scan output (model DV-C36) and the truely awesome single disc (DV-37). They also have a 300+1 changer model DV-F07. The reference standard DV-09 does not read all formats but will be replaced sometime soon with a player supporting DVD-Audio.

Hope this helps narrow your search.