Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

TV Changes Input Name On Its Own, Preventing 3D Mode

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I sold my 73" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV model #73833 to a friend yesterday. I had no problems with it for 4 years, and it worked fine when I demo'd the TV for him yesterday using my PS3. However, when my friend took it home and hooked up his Playstation 3 to the HDMI port I had labeled "Game" in the TV's on-screen menu, the name of that port suddenly changed to "DVD," and thus prevented him from using the TV's 3D mode. If it's not labeled "Game," the FX Gaming option (3D mode) is greyed out in the menu and can't be selected. This never happened when I had the TV. My friend is certain he set up his PS3 to output in 3D in the PS3's menu.

One other thing: the TV requires an adapter to convert the PS3's native 3D signal to checkeboard format. My friend bought my adapter as well as my DLP-Link 3D glasses, all of which worked fine when I demo'd the 3D for him. With the PS3 and adapter on, he's seeing an unsynced 3D image on his TV. But because he can't put the TV into FX Gaming mode, the glasses can't sync with the TV and show the 3D image properly. He's able to name the HDMI port on the TV "Game" with the PS3 off, but as soon as he turns it on, the port name changes to "DVD." I sold him one high speed HDMI cable, but it's possible the second HDMI cable he's using is not high speed. He wasn't sure. Is this problem solved by simply swapping out the second HDMI cable for a high speed one or is the issue with the TV or PS3? Thanks!!
Old 03-11-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: TV Changes Input Name On Its Own, Preventing 3D Mode

Well, no one responded, but I thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else encounters the same problem in the future:

My friend contacted Mitsubishi, and Mitsubishi figured out that his PS3 was set so that the HDMI would control other devices. (Or maybe it was the Xbox 360 that was set to control the PS3 via HDMI... I don't recall which.) Anyway, after turning off this feature on the game console, the TV finally let him label the port "Game" and he could use the Gaming FX mode.