Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The ongoing "TV size wars"

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Whether it's an inner personal struggle (my case) or a battle with friends....I find myself usually questioning "is bigger always better"...yes, I set myself up for that one on this forum as well.

I recently went from a 55" LCD projection to a brand new 47" LCD - obviously there is a difference but I can't say for sure or not yet whether I want to return it for bigger size.

The key thing here is that with my 55", the viewing was tolerable (I am MAYBE sitting 9' away) because the display was nowhere near as dynamic as my new 47" - If my new tv was 55" I think my eyes would burn out (which is another reason why I went a few sizes lower - it does mess with your eyes after a while).

I am just dumbfounded that I like a smaller size set - I mean, I think I would even prefer the 47" even if I had a bigger room.

How are you guys with this issue? Do you even care? Is there no such thing as too big a tv?
Old 02-24-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The ongoing "TV size wars"

I'm pretty happy with my 90" at 12'. I'm firmly on the side of proper size vs proper viewing distance. I don't like turning my head to see the whole picture. There are THX or SMPTE viewing charts online that will show optimum screen size for any viewing distance.

But also, it sounds like yours is very bright. That may not be the best setting.
Old 02-25-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha - that's the problem though - it just looks too damn good to make any adjustments....really impressed with it. One thing I somewhat noticed but not in full until I went down to 47" was how much my eyes were needing to follow the screen on my 55".

I think the highest I will go in the future will be 50" - I am glad I actually did this as well as now I know not to pass up a good set just because of size.

Also - you mentioned you have a 90" and only sit 12' from it?? That doesn't bother you at all? That just seems to close to me for that size.
Old 02-25-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not at all. It's well within the 30deg cone or whatever the precise number recommended by those charts is.

But making yourself happy is what is important. Some people love super wide angles where they have to turn their heads for anything, like sitting close at a commercial theater.
Old 02-25-12, 02:02 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Spiky, are you using a projector to get 90" or is it a 90" TV? If it's a TV, then I think I need to set up an appointment for me to come over and see that, neighbor. I can't even fathom a TV that size.
Old 02-25-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I think a 55" is as large as I'll ever go. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and it's just right for me.
Old 02-25-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Projector. I'm not rich.

But this new one is plenty nice. We had an extensive discussion.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...elopments.html
Old 02-27-12, 08:49 AM

I sit 10-11 ft. away from my 61" DLP. I would like a 70"-80" screen, but didn't have enough room for it. I agree with Spiky, that your brightness setting may be wrong. Straight out of the box, I think most tvs are set to "Vivid" mode (brightest), so they look good in the stores when demoed, with all the lights. It's my understanding that if kept in Vivid mode, it shortens the life of the tv. Highly recommended you get hold of a calibration disc, and calibrate the tv. Without a calibration disc, you can go here, and find your brand and model number of tv, and try the settings they got, using a disc. Write down your settings, so you can go back to them, if you don't like their calibrated settings better. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Good luck!
Old 02-27-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Not at all. It's well within the 30deg cone or whatever the precise number recommended by those charts is.

But making yourself happy is what is important. Some people love super wide angles where they have to turn their heads for anything, like sitting close at a commercial theater.
I used one of those charts to pick what size we needed, but when we were ready to buy we found one 4" inches bigger that was on sale and it would have been foolish to pass it up so we bought it and I'm glad I added those few inches.

Whenever a friend asks me about buying a TV, I always say figure out the size you want, then add 2-3 inches, and they've always come back to me saying "I'm glad you said that".
Old 03-01-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sit 11' away from a 125.5" projection. My screen starts at the ceiling and goes to about 18" off the floor, just enough so that when I'm reclined, my feet are just below the screen bottom in my field of view. If I had higher ceilings, I'd make it bigger still. I couldn't imagine watching a 47" screen at that distance. Hell, I have a 59" at the end of my bed (so 7' away or so), and that is barely enough. The bigger, the better, I say!
Old 03-01-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, my tv settings are fine - yes it's bright but like I said...it just looks to damn good - I can't watch regular tv on the vivid settings because it shows the flaws too much with the picture (in standard they look perfect though). Gaming and blu-ray on the other hand....flawless in vivid.

I have to admit....I like not having to move my eyes around to follow the picture - I love seeing the whole screen with no effort - couldn't imagine getting rid of the one I just bought only go 3" bigger either so I'll wait for this one to die first.

By the way, it's an LG and I bought it because it oushined all the other TV's in the store....the guy that was helping me said that I will notice a difference obviously going from 55 to 47 but that I would still have that 55" "feeling" - he actually even recommend a less expensive one in smaller size because of some other features (can't remember what they were off the top of my head) but I couldn't do it because I kept going back to the LG 47" I wanted to which he just said "ok, I'll go get it"
Old 06-25-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

A 146" screen is available to order

When is a 100" TV going to become a common item or something most of the big TV manufacturers will offer?

We have to get to that first before a 146' screen.

Samsung's gigantic "The Wall" TV is now available for purchase. Available in sizes up to 292 inches, it's the biggest TV you can buy, and the only set on the market to offer Samsung's microLED technology, which uses super-fine LEDs to provide light and color for individual pixels.

About the only thing larger than the wall-sized TV, however, may be the price, with individual panels priced at more than $16,000 each, and multiple panels needed to make a single screen with 4K resolution.

The Wall TV can be configured to sizes ranging from 146 inches to 292 inches diagonally and uses MicroLED technology instead of OLED or traditional LED. MicroLED delivers many of the benefits you'll find in OLED, including perfect blacks and eye-popping colors, but the set also boasts 1,600 nits of brightness. That's brighter than today's OLED sets.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung...ews-27356.html

Old 06-26-22, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Until they they have seamless tech for modular screens we can put together, screens like 83” to 100” will be the same prices as small cars.
Old 06-27-22, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

85" sets can be purchased for well under $2,000. They aren't anywhere near the price of a car these days.

I do think that, to go any bigger, they'll have to go modular, though, because 85" seems to be about the practical size limit of getting it through doors, stairs, and narrow hallways.

Old 06-27-22, 07:13 AM
Banned by request

Maybe but those are major diminishing returns compared to an OLED that’s 83”.
Old 06-27-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we live in a condo at the end of the hall and we bought a used couch a couple years ago and had movers bring it up, and it was so deep that it couldn't make the turn into our unit. I had to disassemble the sleeper bed inside it and bring it in piecemeal and then re-assemble it in the living room. I've told my wife we're not replacing it until it literally falls to pieces.

We were able to get our 60" TV in without an issue, but now I'm concerned about going much bigger. If we ever upgrade maybe I'll get some cardboard and make a fake tv to see if it makes the turn.
Old 06-27-22, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I remember making the switch from the 32" CRT to the 55" DLP. I absolutely hated it for the first several viewings. It made my eyes hurt, I had headaches, it just wasn't working for me. Several of my coworkers and friends had similar experiences, and advised me to just suffer through it for a while. Those feelings eventually faded, and I really liked that TV a lot. Eventually the red LED blew on it, so I gave it away on craigslist, and got a 64" that I have now. I have a hard time seeing myself going larger, mostly because I'd have to move the sconces that are on the wall flanking my tv if I got larger. I'm also not terribly far from the screen, so eventually it'll be like sitting in the front row of an IMAX theater.
Old 06-27-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Maybe but those are major diminishing returns compared to an OLED that’s 83”.
I have a 78" OLED and it's the best upgrade I ever made. Yeah, it was pricy, but for a cinephile, I'll never go back.
Old 06-28-22, 11:35 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, and I’m not arguing on the quality on stuff like OLED’s, and I certainly don’t think there’s any “TV size war” going on, but the prices on 77”+ screens will always for the most part be sky high. Modulation I believe is the key, but that tech to see it seamlessly when connecting will come, but not in any foreseeable future. I also don’t know how many consumers will want to have anything massive in a standard home.
Old 06-28-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

98" TCL XL R754 QLED TV - Truly Gigantic! - $8500 for a 98" TCL???
Old 06-28-22, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is screen size still determined by the size of the piece of glass that they cut the screens from? Years ago I saw an explanation of how the pieces of glass are huge, and the manufacturers cut the various sizes of TV screens from them, combining different sizes from the pieces to maximize how much of the glass gets used. Is that still how it works?
Old 06-30-22, 04:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

We had a 55" Pioneer Projection monstrosity (250 lbs. worth of TV) for many years and were happy with it until it died. Went to BB looking, settled on a 65" LG (65UM7300PUA) UHD TV. After tweaking the video, we love it. It's the perfect size to give us the movie theater feel (sitting roughly in the middle of the theater) but without all the nonsense from other people. I'd never go back to a smaller TV.
Old 06-30-22, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
98" TCL XL R754 QLED TV - Truly Gigantic! - $8500 for a 98" TCL???
https://youtu.be/dCZxeeH8aSg

It is TCL so it is a ripoff

I got TCL Dolby Atmos Soundbar and it would not turn on so stay away from that brand.
Old 07-01-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is TCL so it is a ripoff

I got TCL Dolby Atmos Soundbar and it would not turn on so stay away from that brand.
Going by your logic (assuming you hooked it up correctly or returned for another one) if my Honda lawnmower didn't work right, all Honda cars are a ripoff.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
E Unit (07-03-22), kahuna (07-01-22)
Old 07-01-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Yes, we've got to have some expensive tech to fill the vaulted walls of our McMansions, so let's go extreme with a 146" screen.

At that size, one should just go with front projection, assuming the room is even big and tall enough. (25 to 30' at least, 12-14' celings?).

I've stuck with 75" and it seems gigantic to me. I'm perfectly satisfied, and I'm very picky when it comes to encoding quality, transfer quality etc. Like everything else, the rich will soon demand 200" screens, however, and they will get them.... being indulged and catered to in their excessess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.