Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If you are worried about lumens, look at the LG Spiky and I just bought. Never seen a projector this bright.

Also, to compare, I have complete light control, and the Panny 900 was plenty bright at only 1300 lumens. That is with a 122" screen and the pj mounted about 13' back. The AE7000 does have more lumens than the 900 did, so it ought to be plenty impressive.
Please remind me which model you guys just bought. Is it 1080p? I won't consider a pj that's not 1080p. My Mits DLP TV is 1080p and looks sharp in 2D, but it's a different story in 3D... When I switch to 3D mode, the resolution is cut in half because Mitsubishi's DLP TV's don't deliver 1080p to each eye like plasmas and LEDs do. With its 73" screen, the drop in quality is noticeable (at least to me it is, especially after watching 3D material on it for a year now). I'm sure my friends and family think I'm crazy for being so picky, but I don't care. Right now I feel like I have to make a choice every time I buy a Blu-ray 3D: watch it in razor sharp 2D or not-so-sharp 3D. I want the best of both worlds. Afterall, I'm using active glasses, not passive. A bigger picture would be nice too.
Old 01-20-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LG CF181D. It is 1080, but not 3D. They make a 3D model, but it is around $10k, I think.

There are a few to consider in the range of $3k that are 3D. Panny AE7000, Epson 5010, Sony HW30, JVC HD250 or X30, BenQ W6000, etc. Just that list has all 3 major technologies represented, that’s a pretty nice price to be in, I doubt you’d complain about any of these.

The Epson might actually be the best buy at this point. It's lens is cheaper, brighter, and longer-lasting than the similar Panasonic. And they both actually compete favorably with both DLP and LCoS tech on black level and contrast, which is a fairly recent development for LCD.
Old 01-20-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I just haven't gotten into 3D yet, so I forgot that you use it. I figure my next one in 4-5 years will be 3D. I need it to get better and on more regular tv channels before I get into it.
Old 01-20-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
A digital shift should not actually damage the pic. That should simply be moving the pic if it does not line up with the pixels. Of course, it could damage the pic if poorly designed. Or, this process actually cuts off pixels on one side as you move the pic, so I guess you could call that damage, but not the same way. Secrets magazine used to maintain their DVDp shootout, and alignment to the original pic was one of the items tested for each player, they would be listed as cutting off so many pixels on all 4 sides. Similar issue, a source component could send the pic shifted to one side, and the PJ could correct it. Analog TV signals, for example, have many extra lines that are data lines, not meant to be viewed. If the tuner and TV don't line up the visible portion of the signal exactly to the digital grid of pixels, you can have messy lines on one side and you would want to shift them over to get rid of them.

Keystone changes the shape, that is a different process.
Ha! This I did not know. I just assumed it was like anything else digital. Good to know.

I mounted my screen on metal French cleats. Each one about 4" long. Yea took me a bit to get them perfectly level and the same height on both the wall and screen. Actually it took several hours of testing. But what I liked about it, is that while the mount I built for my projector has very fine adjustment up and down, it has ZERO adjustment side to side. So with the French cleats I was able to slide the screen side to side to get the image perfect. Well "perfect" is relative as each source seems to be ever so slightly different. If you look close at the image of my screen you will see it is not absolutely centered between the doors. This is for the slight adjustment to get the image just so.

Would have saved me some time if I had know I could have used that adjustment without losing quality. Oh well...again, a couple hours work and never have to do it again. And give me room when I change projectors if needed.
Old 01-20-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The LG CF181D. It is 1080, but not 3D. They make a 3D model, but it is around $10k, I think.
Just read the review on it...very nice...is this right? $1,600 + a free bulb + free shipping? That seems like a good deal...most of the low cost DLP are still in the $1,200 range.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...25373&sid=PFRO

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-20-12 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-20-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Just read the review on it...very nice...is this right? $1,600 + a free bulb + free shipping? That seems like a good deal...most of the low cost DLP are still in the $1,200 range.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...25373&sid=PFRO
Yeah, and there was a $50 coupon as well. I screwed up and forgot to use it, but spiky got it. It is truly amazing.
Old 01-20-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and there was a $50 coupon as well. I screwed up and forgot to use it, but spiky got it. It is truly amazing.
Is that the new normal price? I thought I'd have to go over $2,250 or so to upgrade a notch from the Mit (or other lowish cost DLP).
Old 01-20-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know, right?!
Old 01-20-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a few to consider in the range of $3k that are 3D. Panny AE7000, Epson 5010, Sony HW30, JVC HD250 or X30, BenQ W6000, etc. Just that list has all 3 major technologies represented, that’s a pretty nice price to be in, I doubt you’d complain about any of these.

The Epson might actually be the best buy at this point. It's lens is cheaper, brighter, and longer-lasting than the similar Panasonic. And they both actually compete favorably with both DLP and LCoS tech on black level and contrast, which is a fairly recent development for LCD.
I'm considering the Epson 5010. Projectorcentral.com compared it to the Panasonic AE7000U and the Mitsubishi HC7800D... They rated it very highly. They said it has the best black level in low illumination while the Panasonic has the best black level in average illumination. The Epson is the brightest, but they said that might actually hurt the picture at certain times.

As far as 3D goes, they said the Epson has the worst crosstalk and the worst 2D-3D conversion of the 3. (The Panasonic has the best conversion and is 2nd best at not having crosstalk.) The Epson is selling for $2,699 on Amazon while the Panasonic is still around $2,999 on their site despite the fact that every day I tell them about a lower price. I've got about $150 in store credit with them, so I'd prefer to spend my $ there. In the meantime, Visualapex has the Panasonic for $300 cheaper and they're offering a 3-year warranty.
Old 01-21-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know, right?!
So now I have two projectors on my list! HA!

Obviously the LG is an upgrade over the Mit. Tho the Mit supposedly has a 5,000 hour lamp so the free lamp on the LG isn't that huge of a deal. However, if the Mit is $1,200 and the LG is $1,600....hummm yea...$400 is $400 but kind of a no-brainer (to get the LG).

The tougher part is if I can find a deal to get the Mit under a grand. Well I'm going to try to hold out till April when I get my bonus.

And I think selling a 720p is getting tougher. I saw a brand new Optoma on a deal site for less than $500. And to sell one with basically no bulb I don't think it would fetch $200...tops.
Old 01-22-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you going to shop on the last $20 you can save or on the features you want?

(although that is not necessarily a plug for the LG, it is lacking many nice features)
Old 01-22-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you going to shop on the last $20 you can save or on the features you want?

(although that is not necessarily a plug for the LG, it is lacking many nice features)
No...of course not. But IMO the question becomes just like high end audio, you really have a diminished return on a lot more money. Meaning the nicer you go you really start getting small incremental differences but have to spend a lot more.

I've now read quite a bit on the LG (and have already on the Mit). Again, at $400 difference it is a good upgrade "well worth" the cost. But at what point is the price difference to great? I didn't think I could get any PJ "like" the LG for under $2,000 and for me, my budget just doesn't go that high. I'd rather upgrade every 3-4 years or so than spend that kind of money and try to stick with it "forever".

The lowest I've seen the Mit is just under $1,100. Was thinking by April and the new models, it might dip below a grand. At a grand (and $600 difference to the LG) that is a tough call. But I know the LG is a significant upgrade, so I'd still consider. I'll just buy the cheap popcorn for a while! HA!

Yea, I read where the LG lacks a few features. But remember what I'm looking at! The LG is LOADED compared to the Mit! HA!
Old 01-22-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was pretty much my comparison with the AR100 and a couple Epsons, all those under $1500. The LCoS won me over with its video quality.

I'm hoping this won't need upgrading for some time. The lack of discrete inputs is an issue, but otherwise, I really don't see anything around the corner that I want, or that this is lacking.
Old 01-24-12, 12:16 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's kvrdave's next man cave improvement...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-Br...item3cbc98da82

[This is not my auction]
Old 01-24-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Here's kvrdave's next man cave improvement...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-Br...item3cbc98da82

[This is not my auction]
Sure its not your auction...whatever...

While that is cool and all, we are all about the DIY around here. I mean, spend 1.5 mil and you can have just about anything....so this is still my favorite.

removed link
Old 01-24-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IDK, it claims "new...unopened". Looks opened to me.
Old 01-24-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Damn, I want that.
Old 01-24-12, 11:26 AM
X
Administrator

Sure its not your auction...whatever...

While that is cool and all, we are all about the DIY around here. I mean, spend 1.5 mil and you can have just about anything....so this is still my favorite.

removed link
I removed your link because I got a popup wanting to do a bogus security scan when I went to it.
Old 01-24-12, 11:26 AM
X
Administrator

Damn, I want that.
Maybe you can buy it as a "rental".

How about this one, set up as a home theater?

http://www.mybadpad.com/fun-stuff/9-...-home-theaters
Old 01-24-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Damn, I hope I never end up winning the lottery because blowing money on something like that would make me admit I have a problem. Though, I suppose I could afford the therapy. Those are impressive.
Old 01-24-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
I removed your link because I got a popup wanting to do a bogus security scan when I went to it.
Really...that sux....thought that was legit...let me try again...

removed link

Any better? Don't get any warning, but then I run pretty low tech...
Old 01-24-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Maybe you can buy it as a "rental".

How about this one, set up as a home theater?

http://www.mybadpad.com/fun-stuff/9-...-home-theaters
Some cool stuff!!
Old 01-24-12, 12:51 PM
X
Administrator

Really...that sux....thought that was legit...let me try again...

removed link

Any better? Don't get any warning, but then I run pretty low tech...
No, this time I went to http://pharma-helper.com/. But then I tried it with Firefox and got to the site. Hmm... I don't see anything wrong with IE either.
Old 01-24-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I built my theater I wasn't interested in one of those slick, looking, scared to touch anything, rooms. I didn't want the kids to have to worry about eating greasy pizza, butter popcorn or spilling cokes in there. Hence I bought the used theater seats, reused a crappy couch and used commercial carpet squares (with a rubber backing/pad).

Now that the kids are older, I'll start to look at "upgrading". Obviously the first thing is that crappy couch. I should also take down that ugly ass siding on the back wall. I'm kind of scared of what might be behind it...lol....but I guess if there is no drywall, I could put up some up, or go with a paneling.

I want to paint the rest of the room too. Probably the same color of the wall with the screen on it. I've been updating/adding to the bar last couple weeks. In the middle of making a pub table.
Old 01-24-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got bad things from both links. Googled "reighn" and got there ok with removed link. Just FYI.

Do you suppose he owns any Star Trek blurays?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.