DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/597843-might-time-upgrade-projector-any-new-developments.html)

Spiky 01-16-12 09:51 PM

Re: Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

I gotta say, 1080 really is nice. So is a high lumen count. This is a major upgrade IMO. I'm watching Fox and it looks insanely better, and Fox is only 720 itself. Haven't even calibrated at all and very, very happy.
:banana:
I always said I'd get LCoS when it was cost-effective for me. I think $1300 is a pretty damn good deal.

I got this mount, which has several height options, either 5" or the big adjustable arm that does 17-26" or something. But it didn't come with ANY mounting screws, luckily I kept everything from my old mount. And it was much tougher to adjust than the description for yours claims, at least for this PJ with fairly narrow screw positions. The spider arms are really stiff, nice and rigid, but not great for making that last 2mm adjustment. Looks like yours is a better deal overall if the 8" thing is ok. I didn't even see it, might have bought that one if I had. Guess I'm just posting this as a review for anyone else in the market to read.
http://images2.monoprice.com/product...ages/54662.jpg

But Geez, man. 76,000 posts? Damn!

kvrdave 01-16-12 11:52 PM

:lol: I need to get a life, I know.

Do you hook up your computer to yours? I've noticed choppy video on several things. I even went back to old video that I had seen before and it was choppy. I'm wondering if that is a result of being hooked in through the RGB, which can't use the true motion, though I haven't used it for anything else either.

It makes me wonder if I need to look at now upgrading the computer to one with an HDMI output. And that would likely mean needing to upgrade the audio receiver as it would put me at 4 HDMI that need a home. I could get by with a monoprice HDMI box, I suppose. I have one and it works well, but only has room for 1 less than I would need. Heck, I see that I already have one of those, but it would still mean upgrading the computer.

Sdallnct 01-17-12 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11078877)
I gotta say, 1080 really is nice. So is a high lumen count. This is a major upgrade IMO. I'm watching Fox and it looks insanely better, and Fox is only 720 itself. Haven't even calibrated at all and very, very happy.
:banana:
I always said I'd get LCoS when it was cost-effective for me. I think $1300 is a pretty damn good deal.

I got this mount, which has several height options, either 5" or the big adjustable arm that does 17-26" or something. But it didn't come with ANY mounting screws, luckily I kept everything from my old mount. And it was much tougher to adjust than the description for yours claims, at least for this PJ with fairly narrow screw positions. The spider arms are really stiff, nice and rigid, but not great for making that last 2mm adjustment. Looks like yours is a better deal overall if the 8" thing is ok. I didn't even see it, might have bought that one if I had. Guess I'm just posting this as a review for anyone else in the market to read.
http://images2.monoprice.com/product...ages/54662.jpg

But Geez, man. 76,000 posts? Damn!

I know you put the 1080p comment in "just for me"...ha! Yes...yes...I'm looking. HA!

That is a damn scary mount....looks like something in a torture chamber!

Sdallnct 01-17-12 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 11079017)
:lol: I need to get a life, I know.

Do you hook up your computer to yours? I've noticed choppy video on several things. I even went back to old video that I had seen before and it was choppy. I'm wondering if that is a result of being hooked in through the RGB, which can't use the true motion, though I haven't used it for anything else either.

It makes me wonder if I need to look at now upgrading the computer to one with an HDMI output. And that would likely mean needing to upgrade the audio receiver as it would put me at 4 HDMI that need a home. I could get by with a monoprice HDMI box, I suppose. I have one and it works well, but only has room for 1 less than I would need. Heck, I see that I already have one of those, but it would still mean upgrading the computer.

I have to admit to doing something I thought I'd never do. I downgraded receivers to get HDMI.

I had a nice but old H/K. Great sound. No features and no HDMI (and I was using the monoprice switcher). I ran across a deal on an Onkyo with 3-4 HDMI's. I was one of those "just to good to pass up" deals, so I bought to try it out figuring I could move to the living room if I didn't like.

It doesn't suck. I think it is close to being as powerful. And not quite as warm sounding as the H/K. But no tinny or hollow sound. So I've been living with it. And have to admit the HDMI is nice and now can do lossless (which with my speakers is not as big a deal as could be). Overall I'm happy with the swap...

kvrdave 01-17-12 10:27 AM

That's a bit of my worry. I've had 4 or 5 receivers in my life. Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, and 2 Yamahas. The first and the last were Yamahas, and each one in between didn't quite live up to the Yamaha.

redbill 01-17-12 10:44 AM

re: lens-shift/keystone. I'm preparing my attic for a theater, and was going to get the optoma 33. Based on the pictures/dimensions from the optoma calculator for ceiling mount, it said to allow for 9.5" from center of lens to top of image. Assuming I can hit that exactly, do I need to worry about keystone/lens-shift? Or am I wrong in assuming if I set it up exactly as they recommend, that the image won't be distorted?

davidlynchfan 01-17-12 10:49 AM

Does anyone know if there are any projector that has rabbit ear antenna inputs? Is there such a thing?

kvrdave 01-17-12 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 11079383)
Does anyone know if there are any projector that has rabbit ear antenna inputs? Is there such a thing?

I've never seen one. You'd put the rabbit ears into something else, and that would go to the projector.

Sdallnct 01-17-12 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 11079359)
That's a bit of my worry. I've had 4 or 5 receivers in my life. Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, and 2 Yamahas. The first and the last were Yamahas, and each one in between didn't quite live up to the Yamaha.

Well lets face it....everything is a comprise. Otherwise would have separates and custom built rooms with sound panels.

With a DIY home theater I don't think "the best sound quality" is the only factor. A receiver in these rooms delivers more than the audio. So....I think it fair to look at reasonable features, connections, etc.

Of course don't get junk...and make sure they reasonably match with your speakers.

kvrdave 01-17-12 11:58 AM

I'm thinking I will try the switch first and make sure that the projector through RGB is actually a problem. Now I have to upgrade a 5 year old computer. :lol:

Spiky 01-17-12 12:10 PM

Dave,
My Mac does have HDMI, so no experience with the PC input. The Mac did try to sync at 1080p50 instead of 60 for some reason, and the PJ didn’t like it. I had to go in and choose the connection manually. (manually? the horror!) But come to think of it I really haven’t played video from the Mac, yet. I will soon I’m sure, it has one of my TV tuners and there are 2 shows recording there instead of on the Tivo. Oh, I still have to try playing a PAL DVD from my player, too. Those get sent as 50Hz from my Denon and the PJ should be able to play it, but the Mac failure at 50 is curious.

I do have a Monoprice HDMI box as my receiver is well older than HDMI. I’m worried it is the problem with my BDp sync that I detailed above, but I haven’t done proper troubleshooting on that, yet. But it does seem to work fine with the Mac and the Tivo. I have pretty good short cables from the sources to the switch, then a thick cable running up to the PJ, all Monoprice.

Sdallnct,
Actually, I didn’t say that just for you. (a little, sure ;)) I’ve been a bit worried that I’m blowing money on a minor upgrade for no real reason. Stopped worrying about that yesterday watching the Packer game, and after a BD movie on Sunday. Very glad about the res, now.

Does your Onkyo have preouts? You could still use the HK amps. I was all ready to upgrade my audio first since that is my first area of concern usually, set to drop about $1500 (my estimate) on the Emotiva XMC-1 preamp, with amps to come later. Then it was delayed…for over 3 years, with specs changed dramatically about 4 times in that period. It no longer resembles what they originally claimed. Part of that was their silliness, part HDMI craze, part Cirrus Logic which has been a bane to the HD audio community for the last few years (just ask Cary Audio). I have been happy with my receiver, it can run my Klipsch (high efficiency) very well and it is still running perfectly over 10 years later. It’s hard to justify an upgrade to separates when I can play at reference level with a receiver, cleanly. Not that I do play that loud.

Spiky 01-17-12 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 11079373)
re: lens-shift/keystone. I'm preparing my attic for a theater, and was going to get the optoma 33. Based on the pictures/dimensions from the optoma calculator for ceiling mount, it said to allow for 9.5" from center of lens to top of image. Assuming I can hit that exactly, do I need to worry about keystone/lens-shift? Or am I wrong in assuming if I set it up exactly as they recommend, that the image won't be distorted?

You need to install it perfectly per the specs, then no distortion or keystone needed. Sounds like you have it understood just fine.

It's just bizarre that basically every <$2000 DLP maker won't include any shift, and makes such large offsets necessary. But as long as you have space, it works.

redbill 01-17-12 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11079516)
You need to install it perfectly per the specs, then no distortion or keystone needed. Sounds like you have it understood just fine.

It's just bizarre that basically every <$2000 DLP maker won't include any shift, and makes such large offsets necessary. But as long as you have space, it works.

I looked at the 3 (optoma, epson, panasonic) in that range and none have lens shift. Need to go up to the $3k range for that, and there aren't enough other benefits in that range to justify the extra cost for me. I've got the room and the patience to spend the extra time to hit the mark exactly, thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Spiky 01-17-12 12:57 PM

Not sure which you are looking at, but the Panny AR100 is $1500 or less and has shift in both directions. Epson 3010 or 8350, too, IIRC. Those are all LCD, where they do put in shift, for whatever reason. But, yeah, it isn't necessary if you have the space. Then you can buy on tech and other features that you prefer.

kvrdave 01-17-12 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11079506)
Dave,
My Mac does have HDMI, so no experience with the PC input. The Mac did try to sync at 1080p50 instead of 60 for some reason, and the PJ didn’t like it. I had to go in and choose the connection manually. (manually? the horror!) But come to think of it I really haven’t played video from the Mac, yet. I will soon I’m sure, it has one of my TV tuners and there are 2 shows recording there instead of on the Tivo. Oh, I still have to try playing a PAL DVD from my player, too. Those get sent as 50Hz from my Denon and the PJ should be able to play it, but the Mac failure at 50 is curious.

I do have a Monoprice HDMI box as my receiver is well older than HDMI. I’m worried it is the problem with my BDp sync that I detailed above, but I haven’t done proper troubleshooting on that, yet. But it does seem to work fine with the Mac and the Tivo. I have pretty good short cables from the sources to the switch, then a thick cable running up to the PJ, all Monoprice.

I know that I don't have any problem from the BD player or the TV. Everything is bright and smooth. Are you saying that you were able to change the computer settings in some way to make the output 60fps? I wonder if I can do that, and if so.....how.

Spiky 01-17-12 02:05 PM

Just went into the prefs and picked the 60Hz version of 1080, it gave me all sorts of choices. Can't guarantee your software/graphics card will do exactly the same, but...

System Preferences: Displays on OSX
Control Panel: Display on WinXP. (I assume similar on Win7)
Or you might have a direct control panel for your graphics card on Win. I have some Intel control panel in my work computer. It will call it Hz, not fps, same thing.

kvrdave 01-17-12 02:16 PM

I will give that a try, thanks. Looks like a new video card with HDMI out is only $30 so I'll likely do that as well, simply because the HDMI vs. RGB would be worth it.

kvrdave 01-17-12 02:25 PM

Checking it from work with Logmein, it appears that I was at 60Hz, but that the display was set to the resolution of the old pj. I just put it up to 1080 and I'll see if that jars something loose tonight.

redbill 01-17-12 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11079567)
Not sure which you are looking at, but the Panny AR100 is $1500 or less and has shift in both directions. Epson 3010 or 8350, too, IIRC. Those are all LCD, where they do put in shift, for whatever reason. But, yeah, it isn't necessary if you have the space. Then you can buy on tech and other features that you prefer.

are those 1080p 3D? those are the 3 I was looking at. Maybe I ruled them out for other reasons... been a couple months since I settled on it

Spiky 01-17-12 02:47 PM

All 1080. Only the 3010 is 3D. Either that or the HD33 is probably a great unit for 3D for that price. I didn't mean to question your choice.

Sdallnct 01-17-12 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11079506)
Dave,

Sdallnct,
Actually, I didn’t say that just for you. (a little, sure ;)) I’ve been a bit worried that I’m blowing money on a minor upgrade for no real reason. Stopped worrying about that yesterday watching the Packer game, and after a BD movie on Sunday. Very glad about the res, now.

Does your Onkyo have preouts? You could still use the HK amps. I was all ready to upgrade my audio first since that is my first area of concern usually, set to drop about $1500 (my estimate) on the Emotiva XMC-1 preamp, with amps to come later. Then it was delayed…for over 3 years, with specs changed dramatically about 4 times in that period. It no longer resembles what they originally claimed. Part of that was their silliness, part HDMI craze, part Cirrus Logic which has been a bane to the HD audio community for the last few years (just ask Cary Audio). I have been happy with my receiver, it can run my Klipsch (high efficiency) very well and it is still running perfectly over 10 years later. It’s hard to justify an upgrade to separates when I can play at reference level with a receiver, cleanly. Not that I do play that loud.

Ha! I know...and yea...I believe 1080p would be a worthwhile upgrade. My front row is right at 10.5 feet and a 94" screen. While I find it good for BD, everything else I move to rear row.

And I know it is getting close to time. My HD70 has served me well. Funny it was the first 720p pj to retail for under a grand. Now just a few years later you can pick up a nice 1080p for under a grand. My 2nd bulb in it has over 3,000 hours on it and I recently upped the brightness a notch or two. I get my annual bonus that is my "blow" money in early April, so I likely hold off till then. But I 99% sure I can make the Mit HC4000 work and be able to get it for a grand by then. So essentially it would be $700-$750 (if you take the money spent on a new bulb). Tho by then they may have a new model for only a couple hundred more...so will see. I just love DLP....and very unimpressed with LCD (I know, I know, it more about the individual units now), so I don't see switching over.

I doubt the Onkyo has preouts. It is a really low end mode...the 508. It is fine. I'm not worried about it. I like you, was just really happy with the warm sound of my old H/K. But I was the only one that noticed and truth be told, can pretty much only tell on concert video's and such. I can't honestly say I can tell a difference on Movies or watching a football game.

Edit: Just spent some time reading about the Epson (LCD...the horror). I do like that it is brighter (I would expect LCD to be), but what really caught me is how quite the unit is. Impressive.

Joe Schmoe 01-17-12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 11077474)
Zoom is in the lens, just like any other zoom lens. Whatever they call it, ratio...whatever, it allows you to have a range of throw distance so you have choices on location. The calculator on Projector Central should have specific info for most PJs. If you use it, you won't have to worry about calculating anything based on the ratios that different mfgrs might use. It will simply tell you if you can have the size you want at the distance you want. It shows a range of about 92" to 184" diag screen at 18' throw with the AE7000.

How I do determine if the projected image will clear viewers' heads? Also, do you all have an extension cord permanently connected to your projector? I would imagine projectors' cords are nowhere near long enough to reach an outlet.

chipmac 01-17-12 04:26 PM

Damn it. You guys have me shopping for an upgrade too now. My Mits HC1500 is on it 3rd lamp and I'm now looking at the Mits HC4000. I don't want or need 3D but the increase from 720p to 1080p plus longer lamp life has me itching to upgrade. I just replaced the lamp this past summer so I have until next year until it will need another at which point I'll pull the trigger on a new PJ. So that gives me too much time to shop and compare. Its gonna be long year now that the thought of upgrading has been implanted in my brain.

kvrdave 01-17-12 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 11079876)
How I do determine if the projected image will clear viewers' heads? Also, do you all have an extension cord permanently connected to your projector? I would imagine projectors' cords are nowhere near long enough to reach an outlet.

I had one put in near where it was mounted. Otherwise it is tough to live with an extension cord. Honestly, I never thought about clearing the newer's heads because I sit almost directly under it, but that is definitely something to look into. That would suck if you came out on the wrong side of it.

Originally Posted by chipmac (Post 11079884)
Damn it. You guys have me shopping for an upgrade too now. My Mits HC1500 is on it 3rd lamp and I'm now looking at the Mits HC4000. I don't want or need 3D but the increase from 720p to 1080p plus longer lamp life has me itching to upgrade. I just replaced the lamp this past summer so I have until next year until it will need another at which point I'll pull the trigger on a new PJ. So that gives me too much time to shop and compare. Its gonna be long year now that the thought of upgrading has been implanted in my brain.

:lol: The bug spreads like wildfire.

I think I need to commit to changing the bulb every year, whether I think it needs it or not. It makes such a big difference, and otherwise I tend to not notice it getting dim. And mine definitely will since I use it so much. My last panny bulb I let go to 5,000 hours and it was milk white on the lens.

Spiky 01-17-12 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac (Post 11079884)

You can probably get a couple-three hundred for an old PJ with not too much lamp life used on it. I know!! Still not helping!

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe (Post 11079876)

Well, you could grab string or something and stretch it across from where the bottom of the screen would likely be and the lens. Move it around for various possibilities. And yes, I have a drop ceiling with many wires running in it, including extension for power to the PJ.