Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any of our European friends willing to help us buy 16:9 televisions?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any of our European friends willing to help us buy 16:9 televisions?

Old 07-19-00, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, like quite a few DVDTalk members, am very interested in widescreen televisions, but don't have the money or the space for those that are offered in the American marketplace ie televisions that are 60 inches and $6000. I, personally, would like a 28 inch Sony, the KV 28FX20, easily had in the UK, but not to be found in the US. Are there any friendly souls who would be willing to help people like me in getting such televisions to the US, as in accepting money to buy televisions and accepting a finder's fee? Any help would be appreciated.

naschwartz
Old 07-19-00, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

I think they are not compatible with our broadcasts.
Old 07-19-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, most offer NTSC compatibility but no built in NTSC tuner. Not a problem if you just use a VCR as your tuner. Also, the voltage is different (240 instead of 120v i believe) but this can be easily remedied with a voltage converter. I also believe the stereo decoding is different(Nicam as opposed to MTS) as is the cable connection(SCART as opposed to Coaxial), but since you have to use a VCR as a tuner anyway you can just connect that via composite video or s-video. i'd be interested in this too. A 28" WS for under a grand would be nice. Although, I doubt these TVs would be able to recieve any type of HDTV broadcast since digital standards are different over there when it comes to tv. You may be able to use a seperate HDTV tuner box and have it downconvert but i'm not sure. In anycase, I'm interested in seeing if this idea would work as I've pondered it myself.

------------------
Dave http://www.dvdtracker.com/~dfbennett

[This message has been edited by dfbennett (edited July 19, 2000).]
Old 07-19-00, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

There are many models which offer NTSC tuners, among them the
1.Philips 28 inch widescreen model PW6324
2.Toshiba 28 inch widescreen model 28W93B
3.Hitachi 28 inch widescreen model C28W410TN
4.samsung 28 inch widescreen model WI28W6VN
5.Philips 28 inch widescreen prologic surround - same
as the PW6324 but with prologic surround sound

Voltage and plug probelms can be resolved by a simple downconverter, which costs about $30. I don't know about the stereo broadcasts or cable connections, but do know that nothing at $1000 is HDTV compatible. HDTV conversion to non-digital televisions has never been a question, though, and these boxes are supposed to be available in the near future. Of course they won't look like real HDTV broadcasts.
I have made a contact in the UK who can get me any of the above TVs for about $1000. I'm sure he'd like to get in contact with you if you want to make a deal with him, so email me and I'll send you the information. He, I am sure, would also be happy to get a larger television, if that is what is needed. Looking forward to additional help!

naschwartz
Old 10-08-00, 01:17 AM
Cool New Member

I am from the UK, I have just purchased a Hitachi 28" Dolby Prologic Widescreen TV C28W511TN, for 490 pounds or 710 dollar's.
Septembers model too:P

Yeah!

You may have cheap & plentiful : FOOD, GAS, BEER, CLOTHING, HOUSING, GUNS, CARS, COMPUTERS ETC ETC.

but we have 28" WIDESCREEN TV's!!!!!!!

okay you win

------------------------------------------

I cant believe you cant get a better deal then that in the US/Canada!

USA = Land of the Cheap! Home of the Plenty!

Are you telling me they dont sell a cheap Widescreen TV in the states?

Pardon my ignorance but what do people on low wages watch the sopranos on?

Also are HDTV's = 100hz/progressive scan TV's?

You can get the odd one for about 1000 dollar's bucks or near abouts, but a decent one is about 1400 dollar's

Wouldnt shipping to the US be expensive?

I wonder if there's a market

Kerching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-00, 02:42 PM

No, it's not that getting them is expensive, if you are willing to wait, a month. if we bought them as a block, you could proably fill up half a container, and have it add an extra $100 to each tv.

But it's that the repairs would be expensive. We would need to know a good electronics tech who would handle the repairs in the US at cost, and run them through a eurpoean counterpart for reiembursement
Old 10-08-00, 09:38 PM

To: Ironduke
Subject: US UK relations

Remember Mr. Ironduke. We whupped you twice and saved your hind ends twice after
that. Any thing you have in the UK today that is worth anything was bought with red white and blue blood. You english are so
arrogant. sometimew I think we should have let ole Hitler finish you off instead of saving your tired English posteriors. Between you and the Frogs there are no more ungrateful nations on earth!

Regards,
From the Irish of
Garryowen
Old 10-08-00, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Pardon my ignorance but what do people on low wages watch the sopranos on?"
Pardon my ignorance, but I have a 65" Toshiba DW65X91 HDTV and the HBO HD station, & the sopranos isn't 16x9 or HD (even though the dvd is supposed to be anamorphic). So why would a widescreen tv make a difference? Has anyone actually seen a 28" 16x9 tv? I would think it would look pretty small (not as high as a regular 24" I'd guess). I might be biased since mine is 65", but my friend has a 46" Mitsubishi and that doesn't look all that big. I would think a 28" wouldn't be worth- since the diagonal measurement is much more horizontal on a 16x9 it'll be wider than a 4x3 28" tv, but fairly shorter also. The 1:85:1 letterbox size on a big 4x3 tv would be much bigger & if the set's not even HD, how's it going to be any better than watching a bigger letterboxed 4x3 set?

Old 10-08-00, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

To Kevin B!

That was a joke but you never got it!
Never mind In america you can buy almost anything cheap, so you might be able to get your hands on a bargain sense of humour:P

I know we lost the The war of Independance, but I cant remember another major defeat, unless you are talking about the War of 1812.

In which case I reply MY ARSE HOLE!!!!!!!!!

We burnt washington & Buffalo to the ground, Destroyed your invasion of Canada at Queenston Heights and almost forced New England into Ceceding.

You hid behind wagons in New Orleans and shot British officers in a battle that was meaning less as the war was officially over!

MY ARSE!

The point of my post was I cant believe you cant get a 28" Widescreen TV cheaper in the US, as In Britain we pay more then the rest of europe for everything.

Britain has been the US's greatest Allie, but then your Irish and you probably hate the english so your views are tainted:P

God Bless America!
God Save the Queen!
Old 10-08-00, 10:25 PM
Cool New Member

El Kabong a 28" widescreen is slightly (ohso)
bigger then a 21" in the vertical 4:3.

I had a 21" Sony, the reason I got a 28" is because I dont have $1200 for a 32" or $2500 for a 36/40".

The gain is in watching Widescreen Movies, only 60 - 70 percent of my 21" tv in the verical is used when watching a widescreen movie, Now that is small!

But you are right, the difference between a 28" 4:3 and 28" WS in 4:3 mode is heavilly in the 4:3's favour, in WS it is only slightly in the Widescreen's favour.

It's a matter of taste?

[This message has been edited by Ironduke (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old 10-08-00, 10:47 PM
Cool New Member

Glad to see this post has been revived, although it has not gone the path I expected...

Anyway, I had an AWFUL time with getting one of these. To be short, I was robbed.

I sent the guy $1650 (thankfully none of you actually asked me for the info, or you might have been robbed too)and he emailed me for a while after actually having gotten the funds, told me he had shipped it, and then he was gone. I have not gotten the TV, over a month and a half after I had sent the money, and 2+ weeks after he promised it on my door in 5 working days.

He does not reply to email and after about 50 attempts at calling him, I got through, only to be hung up on.

Hope you guys have better luck than I had!
Old 10-08-00, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

Thats bang out of order!
circulate his email to forums with people who like to firestorm

Now thats what I call a real sh&tty ending.

have you since got a Widescreen TV?

[This message has been edited by Ironduke (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old 10-08-00, 11:00 PM
Cool New Member

He was from the UK. I am giving him a little bit (to be 100% sure that I am right in that he has stolen from me) before taking any sort of action. I'm not sure what I can do, but I hope there is something better than inconveniencing him with spam. Any suggestions from our international lawyer friends??

naschwartz

***No, I haven't gotten a widescreen tv. I am now looking at WEGAs, but $1650 is a lot for a college student to swallow! So we'll see about putting any additional money into a tv.***

[This message has been edited by naschwartz (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old 10-08-00, 11:02 PM
Cool New Member

If he put the phone down on you then you've been f*cked.

What Tv have you currently got?
Old 10-08-00, 11:08 PM

Hummm! Was it Mr. Ironduke you were taken
by? I hope not. And now ..words of wisdom for Mr. Ironduke....We Irish Americans dont
care much for the bloody english. The war of
1812 was a war and you lost. Get over it.
we saved you in 1918 and again in the 1940's
Many an Irish american spilled his blood on the shores of Normandy for the likes of you!
Pity they didnt impregnate a few more english
maidens before they died. Might have improved your arrogant bloodlines a bit. before you come on our Internet with your so
called jokes remember this. anything Americans stand on, invent, organize , converse on or fly over is ours by virtue of being the greatest nation on earth. shove that in your arsehole. by the way we call it
an asshhole.

Regards,
An Irish american
and proud of it.
Old 10-08-00, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

Kevin B

What you said was bullsh*t, but vietnam wasnt :P

Please Kev, booby, top guy let me and naschwartz have a proper conversation now & later we will buy you a potato
--------------------------------------------
naschwartz

There have been problem's with WEGAS in the past(geometery), But I think you can fix them by accessing the service menu.

Are you having the WEGA imported, there must be atleast one electrical store in the uk/europe that deliver's to the US?

--------------------------------------------
Kev B the patriot was shite! and you damn well know it!:P

Chill out Kev where just having a laugh

I say "tomarto" you say..........finsish it paddy boy:P

Oh yeah the german's where finished by the time you got there in WW1.

Old 10-09-00, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are talking about wars in "home theatre hardware"... I don't know about you guys, but I was born in 1974 and I missed the battle of 1812. And unless you guys are Highlanders, you missed it too. Get over it. We're all pink on the inside. I'm Irish/Scotch and I like english chicks - I almost nailed this english chick back in 1990 - she had a mad sexy accent.
Old 10-09-00, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trigger:
I almost nailed this english chick back in 1990 - she had a mad sexy accent.<HR>

Looks like you couldn't pull the Trigger!

Old 10-09-00, 10:26 AM
Cool New Member

Trigger!

If she was a blond essex girl and you failed I wouldnt shout about it:P

I just made a light hearted joke about the fact your are spoilt for choice & price in the US and couldnt believe you couldnt get a cheap 28" widescreen TV, then this KevB guy goes all "The Patriot" on my ass.

When someone attacks me, I dont back down
I FIRESSTORM:P

Anyway lets get back to the actual thread why dont they sell 28" Widescreen TV's in the US?

There must be a small market?