DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need advice on streaming device options (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/597063-need-advice-streaming-device-options.html)

suebeth 12-04-11 09:48 PM

Need advice on streaming device options

I have an older TV--not ancient but certainly not HDTV and would like to get something that would stream Netflix and other internet options. Should I get an internet ready Blue Ray player or a Roku or something else entirely. I'm too A.) Cheap and B.) Broke to replace TV before necessary and said device would probably a Christmas gift from my mother. I was unsure how well Blue Ray would work with a non HDTV (big heavy standard older TV). Our home theatre system has issues as well. We might consider a Blue Ray home theatre system (throwing some extra money in --as little as possible, naturally--) if Blue Ray would work okay with our TV. What ideas and advice do you all have? Thanks very much.
Sue-Beth

Ranger 12-05-11 01:18 AM

Re: Need advice on streaming device options

What cables do you use?

Your tv prob doesn't have hdmi which limits your options. Some blu-ray players have the older RCA and component jacks, some don't, so check for that first.

clckworang 12-05-11 10:58 AM

I'm sure you could get an adapter that would allow you to hook up a Blu-ray player to an old TV, like an HDMI to RCA adapter or something like that, but you shouldn't expect any improvement in picture quality. Depending on your audio setup, you could get a substantial improvement there, but it doesn't sound like you're equipped for that either. Like Ranger said, you should look into the cost of cables and/or adapter as well.

Jay G. 12-05-11 05:20 PM

I think almost all Blu-ray players still have composite connectors, since this insures the widest base of compatibility. They may not have component connectors, which would be needed for analog HD to an older HDTV, but should have HDMI instead.

I'd suggest getting a Blu-ray player with several internet apps like Netflix. Just be sure the device you buy has all the services you'll likely want, since it can take forever for them to get new services added to them. Another option would be to get a PS3, since then you'll have access to games, Blu-ray, and internet videos.

In addition, you'll have to figure out how to connect it to the internet. If you have your router near the TV, you could use a wired connection, which almost every Blu-ray player nowadays can handle. The PS3 has wifi built in, but if you go with another Blu-ray player you'll either have to make sure it has wifi built-in, or add a wifi-adapter compatible with that model.

kefrank 12-06-11 11:59 AM

Assuming you're on a budget, have a wi-fi router, and don't plan on upgrading your TV anytime soon, just drop $50 on a Roku LT.

It has all the major streaming options (Netlix, Hulu+, Amazon On Demand) as well as tons of other minor ones and is dead simple to use. By the time you can afford to upgrade your TV, a Blu-ray player will be a drop in the bucket to add to your setup, so there's no reason to get one now.

Abob Teff 01-04-12 08:00 PM

I have a follow up ... my Samsung Blu-ray is preloaded with Netflix, Pandora, Blockbuster, and Youtube. Is it possible to add Amazon access?

Jay G. 01-05-12 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 11064947)
I have a follow up ... my Samsung Blu-ray is preloaded with Netflix, Pandora, Blockbuster, and Youtube. Is it possible to add Amazon access?

Only if Samsung adds it. The apps on TVs and Blu-ray players are manufacturer-specific.

Shannon Nutt 01-05-12 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 11032223)
Assuming you're on a budget, have a wi-fi router, and don't plan on upgrading your TV anytime soon, just drop $50 on a Roku LT.

It has all the major streaming options (Netlix, Hulu+, Amazon On Demand) as well as tons of other minor ones and is dead simple to use. By the time you can afford to upgrade your TV, a Blu-ray player will be a drop in the bucket to add to your setup, so there's no reason to get one now.

This.

You're going to have a lot more streaming options with a Roku than with any Blu-ray player.

TheBigDave 01-14-12 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 11032223)

+1

I'm using a Roku LT on an old SD tube TV. It's hooked up with the standard red/white/yellow cables and uses our home wifi network. I love the Roku boxes.

jjchgo 01-19-12 07:32 AM

ive been using wd tv live plus for a few weeks now and couldnt be happier with it.