Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A question about DVD players

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A question about DVD players

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-00, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a DVD player around the $300 price range (or more if its worth it). What's a good DVD player to buy for that price? I want the DVD player to support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS of course. thanks

Old 09-29-00, 12:41 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by King7:
I am looking for a DVD player around the $300 price range (or more if its worth it). What's a good DVD player to buy for that price? I want the DVD player to support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS of course. thanks

<HR>

Just support it, or also have a decoder?

Old 09-29-00, 07:55 PM

just need to support it, i will have the receiver do the decoding. thanks
Old 09-29-00, 08:02 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by King7:
just need to support it, i will have the receiver do the decoding. thanks<HR>

If you're looking for CD-R support, you will want to go with a Pioneer. Otherwise, the Toshiba SD-2200 looks like a good value at around 275. It supports HDCD's too, which is nice.

Old 09-29-00, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't forget the Sony DVP-S360. Also a good player. Make sure if you buy a Toshiba it has the latest firmware as they have had a number of software incompatibilities lately. The Pioneer DV-333 is decent and is CD-R compatible.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-01-00, 06:30 PM

I grabbed the Toshiba 2200 for around $250. It is a good DVD player with twin trays. Overall, I have been satisfied with it. However, you need the remote to play many DVDs...that just bugs me...I think it is just so stupid. Also, the DVDs take a little while to load. Nonetheless, I have never had any quality problems with it. The sound and picture is excellent. It has component outputs and a plethora of other output options. Okay, I am done. Goodbye!

------------------
| Marc's DVDs | Marc's Home Page |

Take the CH Poll - Should people list all of the DVDs they purchase from CH in the CH Bargain Thread?:
Old 10-03-00, 12:36 PM
Cool New Member

If I were you I wouldn't even think about buying a Toshiba. Way to many problems have been reported over the past few months on their lower end $200 price range models like the SD1200. I just got a Pioneer DV-333 and its great. It's got all the features, a nice remote and it plays CDR's. The price is also tempting at around $230.
Old 10-03-00, 03:29 PM

you might also want to take a look at the Onkyo DVS-535 i think its a reall nice player its runs a little more around $299.00
Old 10-03-00, 03:34 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by diamondboy:
I just got a Pioneer DV-333 and its great. It's got all the features, a nice remote and it plays CDR's. The price is also tempting at around $230. <HR>

I have a Sony XBR TV and heard they have special connection for SOny DVDs. I can get a good Sony DVD for $299-399 http://salescircular.com/ny/video/dvdp.shtml

What do you think of the Sonys? I want to invest in a good Player from the start to get all the features
Old 10-03-00, 05:11 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by diamondboy:
If I were you I wouldn't even think about buying a Toshiba. Way to many problems have been reported over the past few months on their lower end $200 price range models like the SD1200. I just got a Pioneer DV-333 and its great. It's got all the features, a nice remote and it plays CDR's. The price is also tempting at around $230. <HR>

No one even mentioned the lower end Toshiba SD1200, and King7 clearly stated a $300 price range. Why even bring up firmware problems since they are almost always on the lower end Toshibas? Everyone reccommended the Toshiba SD2200 which is a very nice DVD player for the price and frankly any Toshiba player in that price range is going to be nice. I own the Toshioba 2109 and couldn't be happier with it. I have never had any firmware problems with this lower end player and it performs like a gem. I do agree with Marcjd about how dumb it is to need the remote to play many DVDs, but it really isn't a big deal to me. If you are worried about the Toshiba's becuase of firmware problems, don't be. Just pick a player that best fits your needs in your $300 range and you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-04-00, 12:46 PM

Thanks Guys for all your help!

I was just wondering if you know of a website that can compare DVD players side by side??
Old 10-06-00, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey King...
I just bought the Toshiba 2200. I had buyer's remorse, but everyone cheered me up. If you decide to go this way, Best Buy has it on sale right now for $239.99. with free shipping! I grabbed a $30 off coupon, bought it with Amex for price protection and got a good deal at 209.99 plus tax shipped. For that price, how bad can it possibly be??? The forum seems to like it. Good luck in your search! BTW, mysimon.com has a good buyer's guide. It says it is unbiased, but...
Old 10-06-00, 01:27 PM
Suspended

I agree with Cloud. I have the Sony DVP-S360, and for me it's great, and was only $250. My sterio takes care of the surround sound, but if you don't have that sony's next model up has the surround sound stuff built in (which is good if your sterio is a few years old, before they really had DD5.1 and DTS) and that one goes for $300. Also if your sterio supports it, get an optical cable to connect the sound, instead of the old red and white RCA cables, it's all digital that way and sounds great