Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home Theater Setup under $2,000??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home Theater Setup under $2,000??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-00, 10:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you guys can help. I already have a Toshiba sd9000 DVD player. And now I am looking to get a DD DTS Recevier and good Speakers. I am not looking to spend more then $2,000 on it. Would the Marantz 5000 or 7000 be good? And What about the Paradigm Mini Monitors for the Left,Right and Rear And the PS 1200 Sub? Would this be a good setup for watching movies in DD DTS sound? My room size is 15Feet Wide By 19Feet Long. What do all you guys recommend??
Old 10-03-00, 12:17 PM
Cool New Member

You should check out the Klipsch Quintet system for your surround sound. Read the reviews at audioreview and look around at places like jandr.com and even ubid. You can probably find the whole set including the center piece and sub for around $600. Thats a great deal for the quality of sound you're dealing with here. Good luck!
Old 10-03-00, 12:28 PM

I'd recommend the Paradigm speakers! I have Mini Monitors for L and R,a CC-350 for my center channel, and a PDR-10 sub and they sound great. Incredible sound for the price. Those speakers cost me about $1,000. Due to space restrictions I'm using a pair of Energy Take 2's for my surrounds.

I had actually bought a Marantz SR-7000 a while back and returned it in favor of a Denon. The Marantz gets rave reviews but I just liked the Denon better. I also got a sweet deal on the Denon AVR-2800 - cost me $530 (MSRP was $800). I would recommend at least listening to the Denon (and Onkyo, etc.) before making a purchase. The AVR-2801 is out now and replaces the AVR-2800. Same $800 MSRP.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-00, 12:39 PM
Banned

If you want a sub/sat speaker system, check out the new Atlantic Technology T70. It's by far the greatest $1000 micro system I've seen yet.

As for a receiver, the Denon AVR-2801 or even AVR-3801 if you can get a deal on it are both great and would keep things around $2000.

------------------
...post game show is brought to you by,......Christ I can't find it. To hell with it!
Old 10-03-00, 12:44 PM
Suspended

If you just mean the audio, here's the system I have:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...td-dw820.shtml

it works great for me.. it can do DTS which they say is the best right now for sound, and also Dolby Digital 5.1 too, and it works great for controlling all of your components.. you just plug 1 rca or s-video cable into your tv, and everything else just connects to the reciever instead of to the TV, and it'll switch back and forth for you. I have my DVD, Cable TV and Sega Dreamcast all pluged into my reciever, I just press "dvd" and it switches it on the TV, or "TV" for cable, etc. Works really nice and for me, the sound is just incredible. When I bought it, I listened to a lot of different systems and this one sounded the best

If you need a TV too, well that could be a problem, cuz the best "cheap" ones all seem to start over $2000, but you might want to look into Toshiba, or maybe a Sony Wega TV but I personally don't care for the Wegas that much. Pioneer seems to have some nice TVs now though but I dunno how good the match up to other brands, I'm new to this stuff
Old 10-03-00, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

necros,
With all due respect I would not reccommend those Sony complete HT systems. Apart from the fact that Sony generally does not make very good receivers you also limit yourself when you buy these complete systems. Of course it all depends on your budget and how important the quality of the system is to you. I think the recommendation of the Marantz and Denon receivers plus the Paradigm and Atlantic Technology speakers are much better options.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old 10-04-00, 02:28 PM

I suggest the MB Quart QLC 400 front speaker system. Get matching 304 center and the matching surrounds and now you're talking. Add a good sub (Is varadigm a brand?) and you are in business. The MB Quarts make use of a titanium tweeter that is piercing and very clear. They have a full range, but bass-heavy use will beg for a subwoofer. These speakers are German manufactured and kind of hard to find. I think you can locate dealers through http://www.mbquart.com and read reviews at audioreview.com. I'm 110% pleased with them and have NO regrets on the money spent (about $1000 for the five speakers).

If you are looking for a less expensive, but certainly adequate system, look towards the JBL northridge series speakers (or HLS I believe are good, too, if you can find them). I'd actually suggest the JBLs with a sub if you are using this for mostly movies, and the MB Quarts if you want listen to music (especially symphonic and jazz).

Good Luck,

Barry
Old 10-04-00, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'd recommend the definitive technology procinema100. every trade magazine i've read says that it rocks anything within a thousand bucks of its selling price (it's under $1200 i believe). the paradigms, klipschs, and energy (that's what i have) are all very nice, but they just can't compare to the def tech. i heard them in a store last week. not even in an ideal sound room, they were amazing...

[This message has been edited by hahn (edited October 04, 2000).]