Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please clear up something the Best Buy guy said....

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please clear up something the Best Buy guy said....

Old 09-26-00, 08:43 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Movielib. I got the 2095, one step down from the A1. It cost a bit more but it has give nothing but unparalleled enjoyment. I neve have understood the "bright" statments. Mabey you need to match the right speakers to it. I listened to the Denon's and HK's in a very high end audio store, and they were fantastic, but I still prefered the Yamaha. Its nice to see so many good comments in this thread. Yamaha doesn't seem to garner the respect it deserves.
Old 09-26-00, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, all the positive posts for Yamaha makes my dicision much easier... what about the price? I mentioned that from ecost.com they have the HTR-5240 for 289.99 and shipping is $28 so I will price match it from Sears and get it for around 318.00 plus tax im assuming..but that is much better then BB where it is on SALE now for like 384.00 ouch...how is that price or does anyone know of a cheaper price? Let me know

Duck

------------------
Duck
Old 09-26-00, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Opposite of what is thought, retail stores WILL deal with you. Ignore sale prices. I researched all of the stores including high end audio stores. I listened to what I wanted. Then I researched them on the web, printed out the prices I could buy them for, and then took them to the retail stores where I felt comfortable. My story was that I would much prefer to do business local, much prefered to buy from a store that would service the equipment, and understood that they could not match exactly, but what was the best they could do? INCLUDING TAX. What happened is that at three seperate stores ( I bought stuff from three different stores) They ALL price matched within 2%.

Old 09-26-00, 03:12 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Duck:
Lo members..can you help me out with a few things the BB guy told me today...

1. Regarding new receivers I am very close to getting a new one and after reading reviews its either sony 545, 845 or 945 and possibly a Yahama..but thats the thing, a yahama? If I want a yamaha ill buy a motorcycle..j/k. He tried to sell me on it over any Sony..so what about the Yamaha? He told me about the Yahama HTR 5230-50. I was looking at the Sony Strde 545, 845 or 945. I have all Sony components now..so I wanted to keep it in the family for my last purchase..

2. Next, subwoofer hookup...now I read originally that the best way to set it up is the crossover method? I think thats the name, right now my speakre out on receiver is going to back of sub and my L and R speakres are going to back of sub..the BB guy told me the best way is to hook up the sub out on receiver to the lines in the sub...i thought the other method was best? He showed me the monster sub cables with the y connection and said its the best method what do you think? Right now I have all KLH speakres and Sony trinitron 35" and sony dvd and pioneer old pro-logic receiver...I really need some new wire when I get my new receiver...im using some 18 gage Solutions for my rears and OLD radio shack for everythign else...I know its not JBL or Monster but im workign on it...

<HR>

IMHO, Yamaha makes much better equipment than Sony in that price range. But you want to be careful what you get, the Yamaha RX series is usually a much better buy than the HTR series. You want to be careful when comparing the two because the power ratings cannot be compared side by side, I was told that they use a different system to rate each (maybe RMS vs Peak?). Anyways, like anything else, the best judges of which is better are your ears.
Old 09-26-00, 05:32 PM

Guys, here's sth i got from Yamaha site. Quite informative, however I hope somebody could explain the phrases "the RX series rated from 20-20000Hz and the HTR series rated AT 1000Hz". I have no idea.

What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality black metal front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.
Old 09-26-00, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Idisappear:
Guys, here's sth i got from Yamaha site. Quite informative, however I hope somebody could explain the phrases "the RX series rated from 20-20000Hz
<HR>

This is the correct way to rate power!

quote:<HR>
and the HTR series rated AT 1000Hz". I have no idea. <HR>

This is the way you rate power when you are trying to hide a sh!tty amplifier and still not lie about it's power rating.

Having a 1000hz rating is worthless and usually WEAK amps use this method.
Old 09-26-00, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The HTR series also has cheaper speaker terminals and connectors as well. If you are going for a lower end Yamaha, stay with the RX series.

J

------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!
Old 09-27-00, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys, I am still wondering if the price I quoted above for the HTR-5240 is a good price.. I think Sears will price match it for 289.99 plus $25 shipping.. if anyone knows a better place to get a cheaper price let me know

------------------
Duck
Old 09-28-00, 10:19 AM

Just thought I'd through out a name brand that doesn't appear to mentioned in this thread "Outlaw". Don't have one myself but I've heard nothing but good reviews.
Old 09-28-00, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only thing with Outlaw is their cheapest model is $599 and since you can only order directly from them there is no way to get a better price online or locally.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-29-00, 12:18 AM

Hmmm: I have a Yamaha and love it although it doesn't have DTS. But Lately, I've been hearing a lot about the Outlaw 1050.

Seems like somewhere in these posts our members have reviewed the Outlaw and an overwhelming number of them loved it. Especially with a $600.00 price.

So now I'm trying to save up the bucks to try one of these puppies.
Old 10-01-00, 02:43 AM

Duck do you currently have a receiver? I have a stereo Onkyo from the early 90's that has served me well, but didn't do the multi-channel audio thing (well it is capable of 4 channel stereo audio). It's crystal-clear and powerful audio though. I couldn't say goodbye to it, so it is happily powering a couple subs right now. Simply split the sub-out on your new receiver into a left and Right RCA plug. Plug them in an input on your old receiver and BOOM.. a dedicated bass effects amplifier! The good part is that I can still add a couple more subs to my setup. I call this method the packrat method of digital entertainment. It's like those with Coleco Visions and Ataris still hooked into their TV sets alongside the Dreamcasts and N64s. Anyway I had bought a Technics receiver a couple years ago with the SHAC500D DTS/DD processor. It was the cheapest and easiest for me to afford at the time. The left and right satellites have an annoying hiss in them. I attribute it directly to the price I paid. I hope to kick it out and eBay it someday and replace it with a Yamaha or Onkyo (thanks to all your suggestions on here). And yes.. the stereo Onkyo will continie to stay in 'the family'.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~bencjedi
Old 10-01-00, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding the price of the Outlaw (or any other item for that matter), the bottom line is value. OK, so the Outlaw is $600 with no discount. But if it sounds better than a $1000 amp discounted to $600 which is a better value?

Most of the mass market names like Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc. are always discounted. Rather than compare the percentage off list, its better to compare selling price to selling price. In otherwords, if a $1000 amp ALWAYS sells for $600-$650 its really a $600 amp.

Me, I'd order the Outlaw, then bring home several other products to compare and keep the best one.
Old 10-01-00, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regarding the sub-connection; there is no ONE best method. There are advantages and disadvantages to each connection strategy.

Line-Level Sub Out
* Unless your receiver has a variable cross-over frequency you must use the frequency built into the receiver, typically between 80-100 hrz. (THX specs 80). This frequency may or may not be a good match w/ your speakers.

* Unless your sub has a line-level input which by-passes the sub's internal cross-over, you will stack two cross-overs together; not the end of the world, but less than ideal.

* Easy to connect; simplifies bass management and routing for the center and surrounds.

* Depending on the receiver and sub, the receiver's inteneral cross-over might be of higher quality.

* Usually you can adjust the sub's volume on the fly using the receiver's on-screen menus.

Speaker Wire Connection To Sub
* Assuming the receiver has a fixed cross-over point, this approach generally makes it easier to integrate a sub into your system. You should be able to adjust the sub's internal cross-over to find the best match between the sub and the mains.

* Requires a bit more hassle in set-up. And you give up some creature features.

* Might provide the best overall sound.

----
Try both approaches to see which works best for you.