Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Another 3D question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 3D question

Im wondering how many of you all with 3D tvs are using a PS3 as their primary 3D blu ray player and if so how does it stack against stand alones? Im not worried about losing lossless as I dont have surround sound (will invest in a soundbar)

I know the ps3 constantly ranks in the top for BD players as its easy to upgrade, rarely ever fails on playing movies etc

thanks
Old 06-27-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Another 3D question

I use my PS3 for playing everything, including 3D, and have been since it was first released. I've never had a problem with it playing anything, and since I got the slim model it's better than ever since it barely makes a sound. I think you knew the answer to this question when you posted this thread.
Old 06-27-11, 10:42 PM
Banned

HA HA I was hoping I knew the answer but many people say oppo etc.
Old 06-28-11, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

For what the PS3 can do and for the price you pay, it's a great machine. From playing games to films, it's does so much so well.

But the Oppo is the king among Blu ray players.
Old 06-28-11, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by slcpunk
Im not worried about losing lossless as I dont have surround sound (will invest in a soundbar)
You really should consider surround sound. It's so much better than a sound bar.
Old 06-28-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I use my PS3 for playing everything, including 3D, and have been since it was first released. I've never had a problem with it playing anything, and since I got the slim model it's better than ever since it barely makes a sound. I think you knew the answer to this question when you posted this thread.
+1. Can't beat it for what it offers vs cost.
Old 06-28-11, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emoxley
You really should consider surround sound. It's so much better than a sound bar.

I dont see the point of a surround sound when I'm on the second floor of an apt building unless I want to piss everyone...lol
Old 06-29-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I dont see the point of a surround sound when I'm on the second floor of an apt building unless I want to piss everyone...lol
You have to install a full surround sound system and then invite your neighbors over for movie nights. Everybody wins.
Old 06-29-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

so the new slim PS3s are a lot quieter? my PS3 (not one of the really old ones but older than the slims) kicks the fans into high gear all the time and its annoying even from across the room
Old 06-29-11, 12:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^ Yes. Before the slim there was the original design, the "fat" one. If you don't have the slim, then you have the fat boy, as I do. I did end up buying the slim to replace the fat boy, and ever since then, it runs nice and quiet. I have heard the fan kick on once when I was playing a game, but for the movies, it hasn't gone on once.
Old 06-29-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I had surround sound when I lived in apartments, even ones not on the ground floor. I would say as long as you don't have a monster subwoofer, you should be fine.
Old 06-29-11, 04:39 PM
Banned

Maybe I will try one of the HTIB
Old 06-29-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, a monster subwoofer is probably better, at least, if it is tuned correctly. It's the little boomy crap ones that will go right through walls and torment others.
Old 06-30-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Actually, a monster subwoofer is probably better, at least, if it is tuned correctly. It's the little boomy crap ones that will go right through walls and torment others.
Depending on what I'm watching, my HSU Research subwoofer can be felt on my back patio and rattles the dishes in my kitchen. I wouldn't want to live below that.
Old 06-30-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, yeah, if you have it loud. They'll also be able to hear the higher frequencies, perhaps.

But if it is tuned properly, you should still be able to hear/feel that kind of sub in the 70db area, which is only conversation loudness. With an in-the-box sub, you won't hear anything turned down far enough to be quiet for the next room, because it will be hard to tune it well enough.
Old 07-01-11, 01:32 PM

ps3 cannt do the trueHD/DTSMA when playing 3d movies. only a stand alone player can do that. the ps3 will play trueHD/DTSMA when playing a regular a blu ray movie. I own the oppo 93 and the ps3 slim.

Jacob