Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Denon BDP1611UD or...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon BDP1611UD or...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Denon BDP1611UD or...

So, I'm in a dilemma. I have a shitload of credit at Best Buy, and I'm limited to what they sell. Noticed they had the Deon BDP1611UD, however it does not have 7.1 analog outs. I have an older Denon AVR-5700, but still has optical and digital inputs (but not 7.1 digital--only has separate 8-channel analog inputs). I suppose in the future I'll upgrade to an AVR-5308CI or something (when my car is paid off!), but for now, I have opportunity to get a rather nice blu-ray player at no cost to me.

So, my options are what I've found on BB's website:

Denon BDP1611UD $500

Pioneer BD-41FD $400

LG BD690 $350

Any opinions on which would be a better choice? I'm leaning towards the Denon, just because I'm an avid Denon fan. Networking compatibility is an issue with me, so if anyone knows about hickups with networking via cable, let me know.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-28-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Denon BDP1611UD or...

I myself is a Denon fan. I still own and use a DVR-1801. I've thought of upgrading but so far I'm ok. But one thing that has kept me back is the lacking of analog and more Digital outputs. For "lower" models the main emphasis is HDMI. To get that "old school" amount of inputs you need to go mid range or higher.

For Denon you need the Denon AVR-2312 or higher. Even the 2112 model doesn't have the 7.1 analog. But of course the 2312 is around $850.

However you might be in luck with you wanting 7.1 analog with the Yamaha RXV-867. It has them, plenty of features and being discounted since it's last year model for about $200 off. The Yammys are pretty good and that's a heck of a deal for so many features, inputs/outputs vs the Denon 2312. I personally wouldn't turn my nose up to it.