Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

speaker and digital audio cables

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

speaker and digital audio cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-00, 05:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd challenge you all with some more questions. First, do you have a preference between optical and coaxial digital cables? I am connecting a Pioneer DVD player with DD/DTS to an Onkyo 575x receiver. Since there will be a mess of cables in my cabinet, I was thinking optical cable may be the way to go for the digital output. What should I look at to select one over the other?

I also am debating what speaker wire to get. I've purchased about 20' of white Monster cable (about $0.60 a foot) and banana plugs, which would be enough to cover my main speakers and center channel (Infinity RS4's and Video 1). Will this cable provide good performance? I can get the $2.50/ft cable if it will provide a noticeable difference, but what I would like opinions on is whether the $50 would be better spent elsewhere. I just don't want any parts of the system to be weak links.
Old 09-22-00, 07:32 AM

I've heard the coaxial is better sound wise; I prefer it because it's sturdier.

[This message has been edited by McGuffin (edited September 22, 2000).]
Old 09-22-00, 12:14 PM

Agreed, coaxial is definately the way to go in my opinion. Some say there is a subtle difference between the two with the coaxial sounding better, but I too like how much more sturdy the coalxial cable is when compared to optical. This is yet another very debateable topic so I'm sure you won't get a general consensus.

You can't specify wire by what it costs. Wire is measured in gauges. It is impossible for me to tell how good the wire is for your setup if I don't know what gauge you are using.
Old 09-22-00, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd recommend coax over optical because, as mentioned above, it's more durable. It's also cheaper. You can get a good quality coax rca cable from Radio Shack for under $10.

For you speaker wire, look at www.recotondirect.com They are selling 30' lengths of 12 guage oxygen free speaker wire for like $4 a roll. They were selling 40' rolls of the same stuff for $2.50, but I think that those are out of stock. The wire also comes with pins for the ends of the wires, but I heard they arent that good. I'm just using bare wire connections right now.

Brian
Old 09-22-00, 05:36 PM

As far as digital cable connectors go, I prefer coaxial because it seems to get more of the bass to the receiver. Keep in mind that both coaxial and optical cables transmit series of 1's and 0's so that your receiver can decipher where the sound should go and how is should sound. Unless you have a $100K HT system, you probably won't hear any difference between the two. You probably won't even hear the difference between a $50 cable and a $10 cable either. I found ALL of my Monster cable A/V connections at http://www.accessories4less.com They have the best prices I have ever seen for this kind of stuff.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-22-00, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coax
Old 09-24-00, 10:44 PM
Cool New Member

For my main speakers, I am using 6 feet of Monster Navajo White cable. I'm couldn't find what gaugue this is, but it looks like 16. I bought another roll of this, 50 feet, which I was planning to use for my rear speakers (they need about 22ft each). Navajo white seems to be shielded better than most 12 gauge wire, but would I be better off with higher gauge and less shielding?
Old 09-25-00, 02:03 AM

For my front speakers I chose to use the Radio Shack 12 gauge Megacable which ran $.99 a foot. If you only have 6 feet of wire goin to your fronts then I would reccomend just going with some good 12 gauge. I have floorstanding front speakers with 10inch woofers so I felt that having 12 gauge would give me slightly more performance. There would be no money lost in better cable since you need so little so I say go for the good stuff (whatever cable you consider to be good) and maybe get some slightly better results.
Old 09-25-00, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although I'm probably going to get slammed by nay-sayers for this, I'd suggest that you go higher still with your speaker cable.
I picked up a 12' pair of MIT cables from audioadvisor for about $90 with bananna plugs, and I'd have to say that it made a WORLD of difference in the sound quality coming from my system. (I had Monster Cable XP before (12 guage)). With the MIT cables, bass is much cleaner and more defined, the midrange and vocals jump out at you more than ever before, and the highs have become much more controlled. They're no longer too bright, just really pleasing to my ear.
I know many of the people on the forum subscribe to the "wire is wire" philosophy, but I'd have to disagree.

To answer your question, though, yes, you should see an improvement in sound quality by using the better (and more expensive)cable.

------------------
Whadda you say, honey? Feeling stupid? I know I am! -Homer Simpson, American Hero
DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?
Old 09-25-00, 02:20 PM

There is no reason to go higher still then decent 12 gauge wire. I am not saying wire is wire, but I am saying not to waste your money on wire that runs $8-$9 a foot for your setup. Your money would be better spent in countless other areas. There is no need to go all out in the wire department for the setup you have. Simply buy some decent 12 gauge wire that is sheilded well and you will be fine.
Old 09-25-00, 04:23 PM
BEC

Not to be rude, but MIT cables w/Infinity RS4 speakers and an Onkyo receiver seems like overkill. Especially in the case of REAR (aka ambient) speakers.

If you really have to know, just give it a try on your system. If you don't hear a difference worth the extra cost, return them.
Many higher-end cable companies let you (check in advance, of course).

As far as optical goes, it's fine, especially if you are running out of inputs. As noted, a bit pricey and more fragile.
AR makes a 1m toslink cable for $25 (Monster is $40) at Amazon (got GC's and coupons?). Bettercable has fair prices as well.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 25, 2000).]