Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Infinity RS-3: where are they?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Infinity RS-3: where are they?

Old 09-20-00, 03:52 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to purchase Infinity RS-3's for the rear speakers in my HT but I can't find them anywhere. I realize they are discontinued, but I would think they're still available somewhere online. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-00, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Ubid.com currently has some RS4's for sale. Over a hundred of them and it seems like they can be stolen for about $40 each. I have these speakers as my rear effects and they work fantastic.
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/3395300.asp
Old 09-20-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's up to $54 each.

Sabs, if you really need a pair of RS3s, I can give you a link to someone who is in the market to sell his pair of them. Let me know.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 09-20-00, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw someone at the HTF say that Ubid charged him $40 per speaker to ship RS4s so beware. If you're needing small speakers those are going to be way too big anyway.

There are usually some RS3s up on Ebay. Some of the Infinity RS series are getting a little tricky to find. You could also call Circuit City - your nearest one can search other nearby locations to see if they still have any. If they had any they're likely to be at a closeout price.

If you're interested in a pair of RS2s, I have a pair for sale in brand-new condition, never registered. There probably wouldn't be a huge amount of difference between them and the RS3s as surrounds. (I went from RS2s to RS5s as my surrounds - the difference is audible but not earthshattering, but there would be less difference between RS2s and RS3s). Email me if you're interested - they're going up on Ebay next week.

[This message has been edited by Wolfchild (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 04:27 PM
Cool New Member

I have chosen the RS-3 since I have RS-8 main speakers, and I'd like similar looking and sounding rear speakers. I want to get bookshelf speakers because my seating position is up against a wall, plus wall-mounting them wouldn't take up space like floor standing speakers would.

Crutchfield apparently had these on closeout a while ago, but I missed out. I have no Cicuit City stores nearby, but I'll check Audio King/Ultimate Electronics. I'll be looking at getting these in about 2 weeks, after the rest of my system is paid for. Patman: go ahead and send me the link, I'm interested.
Old 09-20-00, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was just going to suggest Crutchfield too.

It's also funny how you've got the same set-up as I do, Sabs.

To finish the line-up:
Center - CC3
LFE - BU120

I love this system. It kicks so much @ss!

------------------
"You had me at hello.....tear." --Dr. Evil
Old 09-20-00, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sabs, email me (check my profile) with a good email address, and I'll forward your request to my friend, but he's still debating on selling, but at least it's a lead.

------------------
Old 09-20-00, 06:08 PM
Suspended

Here are some on ebay. The auction states that he has six pair and they come with a waranty.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=441205787
Old 09-20-00, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sabs, I'm not trying to sell you on mine by saying this, as I'm likely to get even more money out of them on Ebay with some of the fools that reside there, but the RS2 looks almost identical to the RS3.....it's the same series, just a step lower like the RS5 vs RS4. They produce a pretty amazing amount of sound for the size but I got a chance to replace them with RS5s and did so. Even that was a subtle upgrade though.

Anyway it just sounds like you think it's a completely different speaker than what it is. The RS3 might be able to handle a little more power than the RS2, although this series is renowned for being able to take far higher than the rated input.
Old 09-21-00, 04:13 AM
Cool New Member

Do you have a picture of them or a link to somewhere I could see the RS2's?
Old 09-21-00, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately, no. I don't have a digital camera and can't seem to find any auctions or sites with a picture of these.

They measure 13" tall, 11" deep, 7.5" wide. The grill is most likely identical to the one on the RS3. I'm not sure if the RS3 is slightly taller or not. I do know that if you were looking at them and they weren't sitting side by side you'd think it was the same speaker. The RS3 has a better tweeter I'm pretty sure and I believe a different woofer as well. The RS2 isn't junk though, just a small step down. 3s might be easier to find, I guess they didn't have as many of the RS2s to clear out. Just email if you're interested in mine although someone else noticed this thread and is interested in the speakers.

Too bad you don't need the RS5s....Amazon has them for $129 each - a whale of a bargain. I bought four of them.

[This message has been edited by Wolfchild (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old 09-21-00, 05:14 PM
ed

Wolfchild and Sabs,

Here you go; picture and specs on the RS-2 and RS-3:

Infinity RS-2

Infinity RS-3

[This message has been edited by ed (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old 09-21-00, 07:46 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the picture, ed.

I'd prefer the speakers to have 90db+ impedence, but I'll still keep you in mind for the RS2's. Are the RS5's bookshelf or floorstanding? I couldn't find them at amazon, or the amazon outlet.
Old 09-21-00, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sabs:
Thanks for the picture, ed.

I'd prefer the speakers to have 90db+ impedence, but I'll still keep you in mind for the RS2's. Are the RS5's bookshelf or floorstanding? I couldn't find them at amazon, or the amazon outlet.
<HR>

I think you meant to say "90dB+ of sensitivity in their SPL rating".

The RS5s are floorstanding with a MTM look to them. (MTM = Midrange/Tweeter/Midrange)

------------------
Old 09-21-00, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The RS5s appear to be gone from Amazon now. They were in the Bargains section of the Electronics store on the front page but aren't there anymore. Guess I'm glad I grabbed them up when I did last week.

They're probably too big for what you want though at 40" tall. The two 6 1/2 'woofers' really sound great for score music....I have a sub so didn't need anything like the RS8. Found a picture of the RS5:

Old 09-21-00, 08:51 PM
ed

My pleasure Sabs. I just finished my speaker hunt about a week ago (anyone need an Infinity Sterling center? ) and found www.pricescan.com to be very helpful during the shopping process. Using pricescan I found one online store that indicates that they carry the RS-3’s.

Audio Video Connection
PO Box 20233
Louisville, KY 40250
502-671-5565

Store link:
http://www.excitestores.com/stores/a...deoconnection/

Product link:
http://www.excitestores.com/stores/a...nnection7.html

I have no experience with this retailer, so make sure that you check them out before making any purchases.

A good starting place would be:
http://www.audiosurvey.com/amos.html

If you decide on the RS-2’s you may want check out www.circuitcity.com. They have them on closeout for $90 each.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-00, 02:38 AM
Cool New Member

Yes, I meant sensitivity. Oops

Thanks for all the help, guys!