Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

having trouble transferring widescreen picture from PC to my TV

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

having trouble transferring widescreen picture from PC to my TV

Old 09-20-00, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!

I have tried to do some research on this problem, including in this forum, with no results.

I own a Dell Dimension XPS T500 that has a CineMaster DVD Playback Card with a CineMaster 3.0 WDM Main Driver. No matter what I do, whenever I try to watch a widescreen movie, the movie looks fine on my PC monitor but the edges get slightly chopped off when the image is transfered to my TV.

I have set my dvd player on my PC to both 16:9 ratio and 4:3 ratio and am still having the same problems. Setting it to 4:3 ratio seemed to help in terms of the images being elongated vertically.

Has anyone else had this same problem and is there anything I can do to correct this or is this just an inconvenience that I am going to have to learn to live with. Is there any software that I can buy or download that will solve this problem?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

------------------
sweet liquor eases the pain
Old 09-21-00, 06:43 AM

I'm guessing you mean a couple of inches get cut off from the sides of the tv screen, right? That has to do with the firmware/programming for your tv and not the decoder card. The decoder card sends out a pure NTSC/Svideo signal that is then formatted and processed by your tv.

Unless you want to get into your tv firmware, you're pretty much out of luck.
Old 09-21-00, 10:10 AM

quote:<HR>the movie looks fine on my PC monitor but the edges get slightly chopped off when the image is transfered to my TV. <HR>

How slight of a crop is it? Are we talking large amounts or just a little bit. Most likely this sounds like overscan to me.

Your TV set intentionally "blanks" the edges of the NTSC signal it receives so that you do not see things you are not supposed to see. Such as the sync signal at the top of the picture. Many sets will allow you to adjust overscan in the service menu and I would suggest that you use either Avia or VE to assist in setting this. Try searching the web on your particular model number and manufacture. If you cannot find service menu that way you can buy a manual for the manufacture or a third-party (some of these are expensive).

You do not have this problem on your computer monitor because it does not work quite the same way as your TV. But of course all this assumes that we are only talking about a little bit of information and not large chunks.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List