Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me pick a receiver

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-00, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to pick up a receiver in about two weeks (and man do I have some researching to do) - upgrading to DTS!!!
Anyway, my budget is $600-$700 and I am not looking for the run of the mill stuff (so this excludes JVC, Kenwod, Sherwood, etc). I kind of had my eyes set on Denon 2801 or Harman Kardon something or another(to replace my current HK AVR-35 - I have been pleased with the performance of my HK).
Features that I am interested in: S-video switching (for at least one port, more is better), DTS, Optical input (at least one), Night/Midnight mode to "lessen" the loud explosions - damn townhouses, and ability to be programmed by a Radio Shack/Cinema 7 all-in-one remote.
Wattage is not really that big of a concern as my AVR-35 is loud enough for my demands (and my neighbors) at 45 watts/channel.

Current Configuration:
Speakers: JBL S-38 left/right, JBL S-Center, JBL Sub, Technics Floor Standing for rears.
DVD: Sony 550
VCR: Toshiba 6 head
Cable: GI digital box (RCA/composite connection)
TV: Sony 35" tube w/ S-video

Thanks in advance for your help
-J

[This message has been edited by jellis (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old 09-15-00, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Would you consider the Sony DB940 run of the mill? I bought that for just over 400 and like it a lot. All the features you asked for and more!

Plus it comes with a 2 way learning remote that is pre-programmed for most brands of electronics. A few toggles down the LCD and I had all my Sony components and my Mitsubishi VCR doing 90% of what I need. I'm too lazy to program the few functions it won't due yet. My only compalint is the need to flip the remote top down to acces DVD menu functions...
Old 09-15-00, 12:43 PM

I got my Onkyo 575X from onecall.com for around $400 shipped. I pricematched with http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/p...y=613&Class=64 so they ended up doing $379 with $15 for FedEx 2Day air shipping. It has SVHS switching in the 575x model and a learning remote. DTS is a major advantage.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 09-15-00, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yamaha-596 at buy.com http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...44046&loc=2125 $389. S-Video on ALL inputs, lots of digital inputs\outputs, 100W\channel, universal remote, DD\DTS. Doesn't have a "midnight mode", though. If you do get this, you've got to check their site rather regularly for it, they only get shipments like once or twice a month, and they go FAST.
Old 09-15-00, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about a Denon 3300 or the Outlaw 6.1 receiver. They both have gotten great reviews and are in your budget. Another brand to look at would be Rotel. They make quality stuff in your price range also.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/receiver.html http://www.rotel.com/html/rsx965.html http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2
Old 09-15-00, 06:25 PM
Suspended

If you want to push your budget, you easily could find a Yamaha 995 or even a 2095. The 2095 is a monster with a large number of S-Video connections as well as digital connections. One could argue that is one of their flagship products. The power supply is tremendous. I believe you can pick one up for around $900 if you search. The 995 is right below, the power supply is not quite a beefy, but it is in your budget and both of these really scream. You really need to listen to a few. I love Denon and Yamaha for the money and features. They are both very different in sound but both fantastic.
Old 09-15-00, 09:51 PM
BEC

Marantz sr-7000 for $600-$700. A GREAT sounding receiver- warm HK like sound, not bright. DTS, assignable 2optical/3coax digital inputs, digital out, s-video, a good universal remote (learning, LCD display, nameable commands). For the 15-1994, Code 0189+learning give you just about everything if for some reason you don't use the Marantz remote. All pre-out/pre-ins, Re-EQ.

A better buy than the 2801 or HK at this price mark. There are refrub Denon 3300's going for $650-$700.

The cross over is set at 100 Hz.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old 09-15-00, 10:09 PM
BEC

Some other comments:

For less, the Onkyo 575X is a really fine choice. DTS, s-vid. A clean high current amp. Not as sweet sounding as the Marantz. Fewer inputs, not all pre-outs for future upgrades (external amp, processor). Code 0135+ learning give you all the useful commands. Fixed crossover at 80Hz.

Yamaha's are great bargains. No Re-Eq. Can be bright w/bright speakers. A little hissy.
595a,596,795a, and 995 have essentially the same processor: 20 bit DAC. All other things being equal, I'd get a 24 bit DAC receiver. Should give you more dynamic range.

Outlaw 1050 is a FANTASTIC value, but doesn't have alot of inputs (2optical/1coax). 20 bit DACS.
I'd wait for the pre/pro due out next year. 15-1994 has to learn all the commands. Adjustable crossover.

Sony DB X40's are another great bargain. 3optical/1coax. Very good pre/pro section w/adjustable bass management and EQ's. A little weak in the amp section, but has pre-outs for external amp. 15-1994 will have problems. No working adv. codes for sound fields: DSP's or audio mode (stereo, autoformat). Can't learn from the two way remote! I borrowed a one-way DE635 remote to learn the commands I needed. BTW, this works for the Sony 777ES as well.

I always hated the Sony remote commander and flip top remotes.

JBL's are pretty easy to drive speakers, so you could slide a little in the amp quality. (I wouldn't) If you find them to be little bright / edgy / harsh, a warmer receiver or one w/EQ will balance the sound. In terms of bass management, the bass extention of the s-38's is about 40Hz, so a crossover at 80Hz will work. 100Hz won't be to bad either - maybe a little hard on the sub. Adjustable is the best, of course.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old 09-15-00, 10:31 PM
Cool New Member

Hi

Recently (two weeks ago) I asked the same question . I wanted to move from my Sony STR-925 (that support DTS but doesn´t have s-video....awful control)to a better receiver.

My budget was similiar as yours and finally, after a lot of suggestions and research I choose the Dennon AVR-3300 (the other one I was interested was the Marantz s-7000).

It cost me 649 dls + 25 for s/h and I am still waiting to receive it (next monday) but I am sure I choose rigth( My first receiver was a Dennon.....and it was fabolous!!!)

If you want to hear what others have to say about their receivers, may be you should go to www.audioreview.com (very good site).

Hope it helps my two cents

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~O¿O~ |
Old 09-16-00, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cartman:
Yamaha-596 at buy.com http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...44046&loc=2125 $389. S-Video on ALL inputs, lots of digital inputs\outputs, 100W\channel, universal remote, DD\DTS. Doesn't have a "midnight mode", though. If you do get this, you've got to check their site rather regularly for it, they only get shipments like once or twice a month, and they go FAST.<HR>

The Yamaha equivilant of "Midnight Mode" I beleive is called Dynamic Range compression which is available in my 595a and should also be available on the 596.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-16-00, 03:01 AM

First off, I want to thank everyone for their help. Comments:
*The Sony ones that I have heard (not sure which ones), are just not what I am looking for.
*Yamaha - sounded to "high" or "bright" for my taste.
*Unfortunately, I cannot "push my budget" - this is about what I have to spend <sigh> - well, maybe a couple of $$, but not in the $900 range.

Well, with that said, I am still going back and forth between the Marantz SR-7000(never heard, but have heard great things about them - and if they do have that HK sound, this might be what I am looking for), and one of the Denon's. The only reason I went for the 2801 is because it was in my price range, but I am drooling over the 3300 as it seems to have everything I could ever want (at least for now).
Vico - please tell me where you picked this baby up for less than $700 shipped (note: I do not have a problem mail-ordering - hell, ordered my Sony 35" off the internet)
BEC - you seem to have heard a lot of receivers, and seem to really know what you are talking about - if the choice were up to you: Denon 3300 or Marantz sr-7000? And what would I give up/lose by going with one or the other (if you have the time of course)...Note: don't care about Multiple Room at all - the old HK will be retired to the bedroom with the JBL SCS-125 6 piece set (yes, my wife has already started complaining and it is not even up there yet).

Anyway, once again, thank everyone for their input - you guys helped me make an excellent decision for speakers (in my opinion), as well as a TV, so I trust the experience of the people here. Thanks again in advance to all,

-J
Old 09-16-00, 03:08 AM

I just looked at the Marantz web site and they do not have any authorized dealers in VA and I cannot recall ever seeing these listed on the web, so maybe these are not the option for me?
Does anyone know of a web site that sells these things?

Thanks,
-J
Old 09-16-00, 03:34 AM

Well I went in today to A/B a Yamaha 795a against an Elite 24tx and went home with the 795. I auditioned using the same speakers I have (Phase Techs) and the Yam had much more headroom, seperation, and was not bright in the least. Sounded much fuller IMO. The thing to remember though is that the Phase Techs are not colored or bright speakers. I believe each amp matches up well with certain types of speakers. Yamaha, soft domes work well. Way wierd remote though.

Even better setup at home. 75db reference setting was easy and surprisingly low on the volume dial. MIB was fun to watch

The 795a is being replaced so the price is near $500.
Old 09-16-00, 03:40 AM
Cool New Member

marantz are available at hifi.com not the best prices I don't think but they may have some promo going on. The 7000 is 799
Old 09-16-00, 01:44 PM

Can't say enough good about Marantz - a truly amazing receiver (I have the 7000, but the 5000 is just a slight step down). Compared to others on your list (I listened to them all when I was in your position), I feel it is far and away the best, even compared to the Denon (a close second). If you NEED to buy from an authorized dealer though, the web is a tough sell. I got mine (refurb) for $600 mail order (the NEW was only $695 at same place) from an authorized dealer, but the only thing I could find near that price was Crazy Eddies. I also know that UBID has the Denon 2801 and 3300 at DEEP discounts almost every other day. Some of them are factory refurb, but still an option.
Old 09-16-00, 05:19 PM

Speedzon21,

Authorized is not a big deal to me - mail order is perfectly fine. I don't have a problem with refurbs either, though I prefer new (who doesn't). I just figured that since they have a very "selective" market of "authorized vendors" that the deals on the net would be far and few between.

I am VERY interested in this Marantz receiver as it seems to be what I am looking for...any online seller I can go and check out? - I am trying to keep it under the $700 mark if possible...

decisions, decisions - Denon 3300 or Marantz sr-7000?

Old 09-16-00, 07:59 PM
Cool New Member

Bappo

The guy from who I bougth the Denon AVR-3300 was Crazy Eddie (http://www.crazyeddie.com/ 1-888-645-1196). And I knew about him from an auction (ebay and Amazon).

So After investigating (and hear only good thinks about him) I decide to ask for a "crazy quotation"....and well, you know the rest.

The cost was, as I said, 649 Dls (+ s/h) and the receiver was delivered yesterday in my house(I am out of town so I will check it next week)

Hope it helps

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~O¿O~ |
Old 09-16-00, 10:19 PM

FYI: Brandsmart has started selling marantz -
last week in Kansas they had the 7000 for $749! check brandsmart.

HTH!

P.S. Go for Marantz - I did a lot of research and got the marantz 8000. u wont be disappointed.

[This message has been edited by eauctiontrust (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old 09-17-00, 01:44 AM
BEC

quote:<HR>if the choice were up to you: Denon 3300 or Marantz sr-7000? And what would I give up/lose by going with one or the other (if you have the time of course)...<HR>

Denon has better features (memory settings, front/rear volume fade as well as indivual speaker setings, component video, A/B rear speaker,...). It's more ergonomic and works even better w/a decent remote control. The "7.1" feature is BS. The 3300's manual is downloadable from Denon's web site if you want to read up in more detail.

Not the best for build quality. Sometimes the fan becomes an issue, binding posts unscrew.

Places like Spidergear.com sell refurb 3300 for $639. In the past, Ecost and gotitdircet had similar prices.

W/ Screw-bid, pay attention to the shipping costs (sometime an extra $50+) and the warranty. 30 days just blows.

Marantz has better build quality and just sounded the best to me - warm,clear, fantastic imaging w/my speakers. Digital out for MP3. The remote is really good. I went w/a SR-8000, but the sr-7000 for all practical purposes is just as good.

Costsheets.com/worldexchange.com sold these for $600 a few months back. Long delivery time. Shipped out of NJ. Not authorized, BUT they provide their own warranty.
(800)600-8988

TSTO.com has b-stock Marantz sr-7000 receivers for $659.

BEFORE buying, I would listen personally, to the equipment in question. The most mailorder retailers don't like returns. I'd buy when I knew I wanted the item.

A possible route for a rule user/abuser: buy the sr-7000 from Hifi.com, since they allow returns. Demo. Decide if you want it. Return it and then buy from someone cheaper if you want keep it.

Local dealers frequently let you legitimately demo a floor model for a day or two. Maybe a Denon retailer will let you demo.

Good luck. You've got a short list of just two receivers and that's real good.

BTW, give the Outlaw 1050 a look. It is a phenomenal value for $600.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old 09-17-00, 05:29 PM

Edited for stupidity...

[This message has been edited by jellis (edited September 17, 2000).]
Old 09-17-00, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sounds like a great price on the Denon avr 3300. I paid $875 for mine from a local dealer, but I have a place to take it to if I have any problems. I originally bought a refurbished unit from that same dealer, but it was dead on arrival, so I just waited till he got a new one in. At audioreview.com, a *lot* of people have complained of problems with the 3300 overheating. Personally, although mine does run warm, I have not had this problem. I recommend keeping it in an open style audio rack to give it plenty of breathing room. Mine is on about 12 hours per day though, literally anytime the TV is on since I have the S video of my satellite receiver running through it, and it has still never given me any trouble.

I can`t say that it`s better than the Marantz since I have never listened to any Marantz products, but I am really pleased with mine. The learning remote is pretty good, too. I went from 6 remotes to 2 thanks to its learning capabilities.
Old 09-17-00, 09:24 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:

BTW, give the Outlaw 1050 a look. It is a phenomenal value for $600.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 16, 2000).]
<HR>

I'll second the Outlaw, particularly if you're looking for something that isn't "run of the mill".

------------------
-Michael
My List
Old 09-18-00, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jellis
I would suggest you look long and hard at Sony's new V444ES. This is the brand new Sony ES receiver that has been getting very high marks! In fact it has been compared quite favorably to Sony DA777ES flagship model! You get Sony ES's 5 year warranty, build quality for a great price of $650 at www.oade.com . You can't order from their web site (it's not even available their) because they are a Authorized Sony ES dealer but not a Internet authorized dealer. Call them at 229-228-0093 and ask for pricing on the new Sony STR-V444ES receiver.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited September 18, 2000).]
Old 09-19-00, 01:47 PM

If you decided to go Marantz, try Crazy Eddie - they quoted me $649. Can't remember the name of the store I got mine at, but the guy's name is Scott and here's his e-mail: [email protected]

He had new for $695 and refurbs (which I have and have had NO problems whatsoever) for $600.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-00, 11:42 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and wanted to let you know that I will be placing an order for the Marantz SR-7000 within the next week. Crazy Eddies had it for $649 and someplace in North Carolina offered it to me for $630 (through Respond.com)...

Again, I wanted to thank everyone for their input.

-J

Of course, I will not be ordering it for about another week or so, so if anyone has any more input, I will be sure to stop by regularly.