Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS really noticeable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS really noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-00, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theoretically, DTS is supposed to offer a superior audio experience with a higher compression encoding rate. How noticeable is the difference between DD and DTS on identical movies? I hear that it is very slight if it all noticeable.

If it doesnt offer a substantial improvement, do you think that DTS will become obsolete and go by the wayside?
Old 09-12-00, 05:24 PM

I can definitely hear a difference between DTS and DD5.1 on my system. Your mileage may vary though. I usually do not have time to watch all the extras included on DD5.1 version so where a movie has been released in DTS, i buy that edition. I think DTS is becoming more popular as more movie studios are releasing DTS sound tracks, many with DTS and DD5.1 on the same DVD.

Basset
Old 09-12-00, 05:28 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bassethound:
I can definitely hear a difference between DTS and DD5.1 on my system. Your mileage may vary though. I usually do not have time to watch all the extras included on DD5.1 version so where a movie has been released in DTS, i buy that edition. I think DTS is becoming more popular as more movie studios are releasing DTS sound tracks, many with DTS and DD5.1 on the same DVD.<HR>

Which title(s) show a substantial difference between DTS and DD? And what is the difference (clarity, clever use of speaker positioning, etc.)?

[This message has been edited by koobird (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by koobird:
Which title(s) show a substantial difference between DTS and DD? And what is the difference (clarity, clever use of speaker positioning, etc.)?

[This message has been edited by koobird (edited September 12, 2000).]
<HR>

Probably the best example is Saving Private Ryan, where the the DD track is very ggod, but the DTS track is in a league of it's own. Also check out The Haunting DTS which is much fuller than the DD version, and also Apollo 13.

J

------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!
Old 09-12-00, 06:21 PM

I thought that there was a significant difference between the DD and DTS on T2. I did a comparison of the two using Scene 19 (John being chased in the empty water canal(?) by the Terminator in the big semi truck) and I thought there was a BIG difference!
Old 09-12-00, 06:36 PM

By far the best demonstration of DTS vs DD is on the Jurassic Park Collector's Edition. I happened to get a prereleased version of this and the Lost World and they are even better then when I first saw them in the theater. Every scene where a dinosaur is heard, you look around the room to actully see if it is coming. My favorite scene is where they get stuck in those tour Explorers and hear the T-Rex coming to get them. You really jump out of your seats!!

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-12-00, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is good to hear about Jurassic Park and Lost World since I got the DTS versions from Buy.com.

I personally chose the DTS version when ever it is an option now. I have never heard a DTS version sound worse than the DD counterpart. Some improvemnet are barely noticeable, but some improvement are huge as in SPR and T2 as mentioned earlier. Another DTS movie I like is The Shadow.

Hopefully in the future we will start to see all DTS discs with both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 on them. I hate just getting DD2.0 on the DTS disc.
Old 09-12-00, 08:07 PM
BEC

DTS compresses original recordings LESS than Dolby Digital, i.e., less encoding/compression of the original analog recordings. It is a more accurate format.

This only half the story. When SPR,Antz, DrgaonHeart, Bone Collecter ... sound better in the DTS version, ALOT of that has to do with how much care the sound engineers put into the mix/remastering. Unfortunately, a half-assed mix using DTS is STILL a half-assed sound recording. One clear advantage of having DTS capability is that you have more options available to you for comparison.

Anyway, w/newer equipment DTS capability is pretty cheap - not much more than only DD. Upgrading older equipment isn't too bad either.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 10:59 PM

I bet U-571 is going to be hell of a DD/DTS demo disc... imagine yourself in a uboat underwater, under heavy depth charges explosion.... WOWWWW...now THAT is how you compare DD and DTS

can't wait for that preorder....

------------------
---I_disappear!----
Old 09-12-00, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

there is a noticeable difference with dts. to put it in simple terms, there's much more oomph to it, whereas in comparison, dd5.1 sounds softer. dd5.1 is still good, but it's dts all the way.

plus, in the dts version of t2 you get that cool "the digital experience" intro like the theaters. that, and the liquid metal thx was worth the price alone.

so, i'd go dts if its available.
Old 09-12-00, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Master J:
Also check out The Haunting DTS which is much fuller than the DD version
<HR>

There is no bigger DTS Zealot that I believe that this is not a fair comparison. The recent DTS ES version of the Haunting was a fresh 24-bit transfer of the PCM audio source while the Dolby Digital EX version (also good) was a 16-bit remix of the theatrical DD mix, not quite fair to compare them.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 09-13-00, 01:14 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only detect a marginal difference between the two on my system, so I usually opt for the dd with extra's over the barebones dts. However, if the dts has the same extras, or I don't care about the extras on the dd of a particular movie, then I'll get the dts. I mean even a marginal improvement is better than none.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 09-13-00, 05:03 AM

DaveMorales:

Haunting DTS-ES is also the first disc to carry the new DTS-ES discrete 6.1 format, in addition to being mixed from the 24-bit original.
The discrete center back is of course preferable to DTS-ES matix and Dolby EX.

Koobird:

You will find that when it comes to asking for specifics (and examples) of when DTS outperforms DD, even the most diehard DTS fans can't answer you. I know, cuz I've asked. They just say: SPR - great in DD, awesome in DTS. Well...**** , that's doesn't help!
Or..."definitely more 3D in DTS." When? Where? What chapter? What do I listen for?
Truth is, IMHO, if DTS does excel in clarity, depth, fullness, etc, it is very very subtle.

DTS clearly wins in the bass department, however. DTS carries more weight, impact, depth, and volume. Check out opening battle scene in SPR, bombs going off in horizon (SPR, end of chapter 9), semi-truck chase scene in T2 - when truck jumps off highway, when truck hits two cars at once right before Furlong head into canals.
Old 09-13-00, 01:43 PM

dude, dts is better, my upstairs neighbor asked what we were blowing up when we were listening to T2 the night before.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 09-14-00, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
YES!
Old 09-14-00, 03:28 PM

Just got my T2 from buy.com last night and I am torn between what sounds better: T2 Ultimate DTS or Jurassic Park DTS. But T2 is one of the only movies that I took out and watched from beginning to end. The DTS reproduction is amazing!

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-14-00, 07:17 PM

One very key scene in T2 is when the cop Terminator pulls up to the Connor home the first time. If you have a DTS receiver (and of course T2:UE) try this. In the DD5.1 version, you have to turn the sound way up to hear the guy hosing his lawn and also the clicking of the kid's bike. In the DTS version you clearly hear them without changing the sound level from normal listening volume.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 09-14-00, 10:25 PM
BEC

MIX related improvement:

Recording relative volumes at disinguishable levels, i.e., hearing the clicking of the motor cycle, watering lawn,...
This is the improvement made by the sound engineer, not necessarily the DTS format.

FORMAT related improvement:

- proper timbre reproduction, i.e, full orchestral music score of DTS Ed TV doesn't sound bright or edgy at the same SPL as the DD version. DD version strings are QUITE edgy, brass is tinny, brittle.

- spatial cues/full dynamic range. Draco's voice and wing flutter in Dragon heart. As he circles, a DD version doesn't image Draco's voice as well, wing flutter doesn't preserve its full dyanmic range as Draco circles. His voice gets muffled when going behind the listener(for a passable illusion of distance) and doesn't sound ABOVE the listener. DTS version has Draco's voice imaged above - even above the wing flutter sounds. The wing fluttering is seamless in the DTS version: no drop outs or compression. Draco's voice fades back by changing timbre AND volume giving a better illusion of far away distance than the DD version. This is layered over the relatively loud steady, circling wing flutter.

More bass can be either MIX or FORMAT. In a multilayered scene with several different things going on- dialog, background explosions, foreground noise, ... it's probably the format allowing fuller dynamic range. In a simple scene with one of two layers (dialog, background) it's more likely the sound engineer's choice of relative volumes.

Old 09-15-00, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I REALLY need my sub before JP DTS comes out, my god I can't wait.

I have probably the best setup in my entire college, so I am really excited to show it off with JP. I KNOW people will feel that TRex stomping around them jeeps, can't wait.
Old 09-19-00, 07:07 PM

My Wife, Kids and myself all think DTS sounds better (Antz and Jaws among others) and to us that is all that matters. If you think you are getting better sound or the best sound possible, then you are. And if you believe this, then you are getting the best experience possible. However if you have heard that there is better all you will do is sit there and spectulate and not enjoy yourself.

So listen for yourself. Pick your favorite and Enjoy!