DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   jvc dvd player (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/58741-jvc-dvd-player.html)

allman7 09-11-00 02:44 PM

just bought a second player for my bedroom. not exactly sure of the model number as i bought it last night but it has great features (dolby digital ready but not dts. ready, component outs etc.). was wondering what your thoughts were on JVC dvd players and your experiences with them. thanks.

------------------
"Fat man you shoot a great game of pool.
So do you Fast Eddie, so do you".

Fast Eddie Felson and Minnesota Fats in the Hustler (Newman and Gleason)

Red Dog 09-11-00 02:48 PM

I know there is a faction out there that hate them, but I love mine - it has never given me a problem.

By the way, there is a separate sub-forum for DVD Hardware posts.

Kenwood 09-11-00 02:55 PM

Moving to Home Theater Hardware Forum

------------------
Kenwood
DVDTalk's Main Forum Moderator
DVDTalk FAQ Thread

Email: [email protected]

patrckpiteo 09-11-00 04:23 PM

Stay away from JVC players like the plague !!! I have been contacted from someone who is telling me that there is a class action suit against JVC concerning consumers that got screwed by them. I have a JVC and a Toshiba. The JVC bit the dust 3 months after it was bought. I had to get it serviced for $150.00. JVC basically told me the repair cost was all mine . I fought and they reimbursed me $50.00. The best part is that was the 3rd one I had gotten from Circuit City !!! All 3 died !! The best is all the symptoms were the same it was a JVC 701. The Toshiba on the other hand has had no down time.

[This message has been edited by patrckpiteo (edited September 11, 2000).]

j71rz 09-12-00 06:48 AM

Well, i've had the Jvc XV-D2000 DVD PLAYER, no DTS ,cant play cd-r's, but i havent had any problems with it. I do want to know if someone else in here had the same model, and purchased a new one.Besides having DTS and little things here and there, how is the new picture? is there a difference?? I'm happy with my JVC.

cloud 09-12-00 10:13 AM

The only brands worth considering, especially at the low end, are Sony and Pioneer as they seem to have the least amount of problems. Toshiba seem to be well built but they also seem to have a lot of software incompatibility issues. Personally I would not buy any other brand unless I was going for high end in which case I would probably consider Denon and Marantz.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

Shumer 09-15-00 11:21 PM

JVC = SUCK

RightD 09-17-00 05:31 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Dog:
I know there is a faction out there that hate them, but I love mine - it has never given me a problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am in the same boat as Red Dog. I have heard of people having problems with JVC DVD players, but mine has worked very well for me from the start (I have the 701).

- RightD

Shumer 09-17-00 02:47 PM

Retired my PIECE OF Sh*t JVC player yesterday
11 months old and completely useless,wont play 75% of my discs.Tired of reseting the eeprom only to have it freeze up halfway through a film.Picked up a Pioneer dv333 at Best Buy for 189.00 using four gift cards I got for my birthday 109.00+tx.And sent most of the knight trying every disc that I had problems with on my xv501bk.Every disc worked perfectly and the load time is very fast.I'm very impressed with the Pioneer.

------------------
My DVD Collection

patrckpiteo 09-17-00 05:44 PM

I was contacted by a laywer who has a class action suit against JVC. I told him that I was interested in going along also.

Xytraguptorh 09-17-00 08:46 PM

I`ve had the 3 tray JVC dvd player since December and never had any problems with it. I think the model no. is XVM555BK. I have around 180 DVDs and I`ve been a Netflix marquee member all that time, so it has been tested on a helluva lot of discs and they`ve all played fine. My mother has this same player and she`s had no problems either. This may be the only decent dvd player that JVC makes. They just came out with a new 3 tray model which is silver instead of black and has a newly designed remote, which is probably the weak point of the one I have. Anyway, the 3 tray player has gotten fairly decent reviews, but if I had known of all the problems with JVC players before I bought mine, I probably wouldn`t have, even though I`m happy with the one I have.