DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

matching speakers

Old 09-11-00, 10:12 PM

I realize that matching the mains with the center channel is extremely important. How important is it to match the mains with the subwoofer?

How important is it to match the mains with the rears?
Old 09-11-00, 10:13 PM

When I say matching, I mean using speakers from the same manufacturer.
Old 09-11-00, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matching the sub is not important at all.

The main reason to match fronts and center is to get them timbre matched for treble and midrange.You should also try to position the tweeter at the same level and as close to ear level as possible for those channels. Also try to get the center about a foot closer to the listening position than the front L&R.

If you can match the rears do it. It is not as important, but it will still make a difference in sound uniformity across all channels.

Old 09-13-00, 05:03 PM

Jumbo is right. With the center channel and the mains, it is important to get matching speakers just to get the sound uniform. This sound is even better enhanced with matching rears. But the subwoofer could be any brand just as long as it complements the system and doesn't overpower it. I mean, I love bass, but I want to hear the words too. However, some manufacturers offer subwoofers as part of their home theater speaker packages and they offer them cheaper as a set than if you would purchase them separately. This is a good cost effective way to purchase speakers especially because you know that they all work well together.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-13-00, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will add that it is important to find a sub that has the same "sound" as the rest of your speakers.

I'm not saying that the same brand is required, but the same type of sound. As in, if your main speakers have a very tight sound, buying a sub the is muddy or boomy will not compliment the system whereas a tight sub will.
Old 09-13-00, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by vlad:
I'm not saying that the same brand is required, but the same type of sound. As in, if your main speakers have a very tight sound, buying a sub the is muddy or boomy will not compliment the system whereas a tight sub will.

I don't think muddy or boomy subs will complement any system.

Salesman: Hello, how can I help you?
Me: I was looking for a sloppy, muddy, loose-sounding subwoofer.

-S
Old 09-13-00, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you're saying muddy sub, do you mean it gives off an echoing feeling?

And what does it mean when a sub is 'too boomy'? I thought that's what subs do... you know... BOOM BOOM BOOM ?
Old 09-14-00, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, I consider the Velodyne subs to be muddy. When I compair the tightness of my speakers and the crispness of their sound, the velodyne's are "slower" in their response, therefore mudding up the sound field. That is my descripton of a muddy sub.

Boomy, there are many subs that excel in a narrow frequency range instead of having a flat response. These subs play fine but when their favorite freq hits they BOOM on it and then get quiter on the other freqs. You can best determine this by compairing two subs one after the other on the same piece of sound.

I found it best when looking for a sub, to turn off the mains and TV so you are not distracted by other visuals and sounds.