Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba 5109 Problem..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba 5109 Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-00, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was watching a dvd on my pc today so I could use the pc-dvd features. Anyway, I got tired of it after a while and just decided to watch the disc on my television - I have a Toshiba 5109 dvd player and a Toshiba Tn61x81 TV, and they are connected via the progressive hookups.

Anyway, as I was watching the dvd on My television, I noticed that some information from the edge of the picture seemed to be missing. I put the disc back in the pc to check, and sure enough, the 5109 is cropping about 10% off each side of the picture. At first I thought it may have something to do with the anamorphic downconversion, so I tried a non-anamorphic and full screen disc - and the results were the same (The full screen is cropped all around). It's like the picture is zoomed slightly.

I though maybe I had hit the zoom button without realizing it, but I checked and that wasn't it. I checked all the settings I could think of and everything seems to be correct. The Tv shape is set as 4:3 in the player settings and progressive output is on. I don't think it has anything to do with the television, because I have the same cable signal split between this tv and my bedroom tv, and the picture is identical.

Anyway, my question is - is this normal? I wouldn't think so, but I've checked and fiddled with every setting I can think of and nothing works. Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it?

If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Roy
Old 09-14-00, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like your tv may be over-scanning. I have the same player & a 16x9 Toshiba DW65X91 HDTV. I haven't checked between my pc & tv, but I've heard most HDTVs lose a little off the sides (and top of full-frame I guess) because they overscan the picture. I'm not sure if this is only for HDTVs or if yours also has the same thing. You can turn the overscan down from the service menu, but you need codes & you could mess up other settings. This is my second tv, since I returned the first one for 2 problems. This one still has one of the problems, so Toshiba is having someone look at the one I returned. When they come to fix mine I'm going to have them turn the overscan down (Toshiba rep said they would do it for me). I'll have to see how much smaller it makes the picture- smaller's fine if I'm seeing more picture.