DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Tivo, where are the savings? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/585385-tivo-where-savings.html)

kayak99 02-04-11 01:18 PM

Tivo, where are the savings?

Thought about getting a Tivo on sale at BB but then I priced replacing my dual tuner cable box and the cost seems way too high. My HD PVR cable box is $7.00 per month.

The Tivo would be $99. plus $19.99 per month PLUS with an HD TiVo unit the cost of services to support the basic cable card would be $7.95 monthly per card. If it's a dual HD TiVo tuner there would be a monthly charge of $15.90. To add all HD channels there would be an additional $5.00 monthly charge.

Yikes! I realize there are benefits having Tivo but the difference is a bit steep. Am I missing something?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 02-04-11 02:48 PM

Re: Tivo, where are the savings?

You're paying way too much for a cable card. I'm only paying $3. If you get a premier, which is what the deal is you're talking about, you are getting an m-card from your cable company. It's one card with a dual tuner. You'd only be paying for the one card.

You don't have to get the HD channels and even if you kept your current box, you'd pay that fee anyway if you wanted them, so I wouldn't really count that just against tivo.

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html

# You may purchase a subscription to the TiVo Service in one of the following ways:

1. 2.1 For TiVo Premiere boxes purchased on or after January 31, 2011:
1. 2.1.1 When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box and subscription at the same time directly from TiVo, you may select one of the following options:
1. (i) You may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle with
1. (a) a box fee of $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box and
2. (b) a monthly service fee of $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year); or
2. (ii) Existing customers may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle on a monthly basis with
1. (a) no upfront cost for the TiVo Premiere box (an instant savings of $299.99 off MSRP) and
2. (b) a monthly service fee of $19.99 a month with a two (2) year commitment (renews monthly after two years); or
3. (iii) You may purchase a TiVo box at the full MSRP (no instant savings) and subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after 1 year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $399.
2. 2.1.2 When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box from a third party retailer at $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box, you may only subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year).
2. 2.2 For all other TiVo boxes activated on or after January 31, 2011, you may subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after 1 year), you may purchase an annual plan for one (1) year of TiVo Service for an upfront fee of $129, or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $399.
You save the most when you get an opportunity to upgrade an existing/box to lifetime.

If you can find a used one online, you can get the $13/month plan.

You just need to do the math on different costs of the box, with and without the discount, and the different monthly plans and see which one works best for your situation in the long term.

If you do get a tivo, you can do things like stream videos(haven't run into a format that wouldn't work) and music off your computer and to the tivo. That's one of the things I do a lot of with it.

slimdude 02-04-11 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kayak99 (Post 10622816)
Thought about getting a Tivo on sale at BB but then I priced replacing my dual tuner cable box and the cost seems way too high. My HD PVR cable box is $7.00 per month.

The Tivo would be $99. plus $19.99 per month PLUS with an HD TiVo unit the cost of services to support the basic cable card would be $7.95 monthly per card. If it's a dual HD TiVo tuner there would be a monthly charge of $15.90. To add all HD channels there would be an additional $5.00 monthly charge.

Yikes! I realize there are benefits having Tivo but the difference is a bit steep. Am I missing something?

WOW! You'll be paying a small fortune, just to watch TV.. If I were you, I'll would shop around, and get estimates from different providers. I don't know anything about TiVo, but it appears to be too expensive for what its worth. I think you can get much cheaper rates elsewhere.

tdoane78 02-04-11 05:38 PM

All depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a pure cost play -- go with the cable company solution. If you're looking for a device that is a great dvr, netflix, pandora, youtube, and allows you with Pytivo/Streambaby watch any video from any pc platform -- take a look at Tivo.

I own two Series 2, one Series 3, two TivoHD, and two Tivo Premiers, they make video integration for the whole house easy and simple. It all depends on what you're looking to do -- cost by itself is just one dimension of a bigger question.

-Tim

slimdude 02-04-11 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tdoane78 (Post 10623243)
All depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a pure cost play -- go with the cable company solution. If you're looking for a device that is a great dvr, netflix, pandora, youtube, and allows you with Pytivo/Streambaby watch any video from any pc platform -- take a look at Tivo.

I own two Series 2, one Series 3, two TivoHD, and two Tivo Premiers, they make video integration for the whole house easy and simple. It all depends on what you're looking to do -- cost by itself is just one dimension of a bigger question.

-Tim

See, I'm just a basic kind of guy! I don't what the heck Pytivo, steambaby, and all of those other features consist of. I've never heard of them! Youtube, I don't need TiVo for that, I just go direct to the website, and watch videos from there.

Spiky 02-05-11 12:05 AM

woot!'s deal today (2/5/11) is a Tivo Premiere, claims compatible with the $13/month plan.

tdoane78 02-05-11 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by slimdude (Post 10623289)
See, I'm just a basic kind of guy! I don't what the heck Pytivo, steambaby, and all of those other features consist of. I've never heard of them! Youtube, I don't need TiVo for that, I just go direct to the website, and watch videos from there.

Then I'd recommend something that is consistent with your price range/desire -- in this case that sounds like a basic cable dvr. The price point makes sense for others since it brings to the table more than the simple features you want -- no product is one size fits all.

-Tim

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 02-05-11 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tdoane78 (Post 10623753)
Then I'd recommend something that is consistent with your price range/desire -- in this case that sounds like a basic cable dvr. The price point makes sense for others since it brings to the table more than the simple features you want -- no product is one size fits all.

-Tim

He's not the OP. Not sure if you caught that or not.

tdoane78 02-05-11 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 10624216)
He's not the OP. Not sure if you caught that or not.

I did indeed understand that when I posted my response...

-Tim

kayak99 02-05-11 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by tdoane78 (Post 10623243)

-Tim

I have some of those features with a WD Hub, thanks. I was looking for a dvr that would allow for more recording plus the ability to export the recorded programs to other devices. The cable does not have the ability to do that (exception being I could play the recording but it's in real time).

The benefits off Tivo, in my case, unfortunately do not exceed the cost as my cable company seems to have set the bars fairly high.

As far as other choices, not may exist, except for DSL and satellite, neither of which seem much better than what I have now.

Spiky 02-05-11 10:40 PM

Computer based DVRs exist. I only have experience with the Mac one (EyeTV), and it has a spotty record for bugs. But it does work and is cheaper than Tivo by far.

tdoane78 02-06-11 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kayak99 (Post 10624542)
I have some of those features with a WD Hub, thanks. I was looking for a dvr that would allow for more recording plus the ability to export the recorded programs to other devices. The cable does not have the ability to do that (exception being I could play the recording but it's in real time).

The benefits off Tivo, in my case, unfortunately do not exceed the cost as my cable company seems to have set the bars fairly high.

As far as other choices, not may exist, except for DSL and satellite, neither of which seem much better than what I have now.

The WD devices are an amazing piece of technology -- I've pushed several friends there myself.

-Tim

kayak99 02-06-11 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tdoane78 (Post 10624888)
The WD devices are an amazing piece of technology -- I've pushed several friends there myself.

-Tim

I love the Live Hub I have. Picked it up when BB had a $25 gift card with it. Even though I use Netflix on it I loaded up the hard drive with tons of tv shows and movies.

GreenMonkey 02-07-11 06:20 AM

The Tivo is $13 a month, plus $3/mo to Charter for cablecards around here. We don't pay extra for HD channels, and skip the extra "HD tier" with HDnet and the like.

The Charter DVR is like $15 a month. So that's $16 vs $15. And we could do cheaper for Tivo doing pay-by-the-year.

Tivo isn't really about savings, unless you want to buy lifetime. I didn't have great luck with our lifetime Tivo HD box (unstable) so we're doing monthly for now on our $100 refurb Tivo HD. It's about having a lot of features and being an excellent DVR. Amazon, Netflix, Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.

That said, they're falling behind the curve a little lately. Netflix on PS3 and Xbox is better now, for example.

Spiky 02-07-11 08:02 AM

Unfortunately for anyone shopping now, those programs are all different with the Tivo Premiere. My sister just found a TivoHD on ebay or somewhere since the Premiere plans are not as good. Plus, the Premiere gets poor reviews for its software while the HD gets good reviews.

I don't see why people spend so much on cable. Sat is almost always cheaper to get the same channels, either company, and the DVRs are about as good as Tivo.

What happened with your Lifetime unit? These boxes are so well known that it could probably be fixed easily. Or you could sell it to someone who would deal with it and recoup all of your Lifetime cost, at least. I once fixed a Tivo myself, ended up costing $6 for a bad internal cable.

CRM114 02-07-11 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by slimdude (Post 10623209)
I don't know anything about TiVo, but it appears to be too expensive for what its worth.

How can you judge the value of a service knowing nothing about it?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 02-07-11 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 10627866)
I don't see why people spend so much on cable. Sat is almost always cheaper to get the same channels, either company, and the DVRs are about as good as Tivo.

The DVRs don't have nearly as many features as a Tivo. If you just compare basic functionality and ignore everything else(tivo suggestions, streaming video to/from pc, netflix/blockbuster/youtube/amazon/rhapsody :rolleyes: /that other music source that starts with a P/gaming and all the other user made programs that run on it, then of course it's about the same.

Satellite is cheap until your initial period is over and they jack the price up. I pay about half the price for cable than I would for sat, simply because whenever the price goes up, you can go into the office, say the price has gone up too much, and to keep you as a customer, they'll reduce the price to what you were paying or only a couple dollars higher.

CRM114 02-07-11 11:10 AM

If I had satellite, I'd never be able to watch the Phillies or Flyers. No sale.

and the DVRs are about as good as Tivo
Almost, about as, nearly.... The words of someone who settles on less. :)

Chew 02-07-11 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 10628182)
(tivo suggestions, streaming video to/from pc, netflix/blockbuster/youtube/amazon/rhapsody :rolleyes: /Pandora/gaming and all the other user made programs that run on it, then of course it's about the same.

+1 (with a "fix")

Spiky 02-07-11 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 10628182)
The DVRs don't have nearly as many features as a Tivo. If you just compare basic functionality and ignore everything else(tivo suggestions, streaming video to/from pc, netflix/blockbuster/youtube/amazon/rhapsody :rolleyes: /that other music source that starts with a P/gaming and all the other user made programs that run on it, then of course it's about the same.

Satellite is cheap until your initial period is over and they jack the price up. I pay about half the price for cable than I would for sat, simply because whenever the price goes up, you can go into the office, say the price has gone up too much, and to keep you as a customer, they'll reduce the price to what you were paying or only a couple dollars higher.

Well, I dropped all of it and catch Burn Notice and other "cable" shows on the net. But I have not experienced this at all. Perhaps you live somewhere where it is very different, but cable is always $10-30 more when I have added it up. And that is just for programming. The $15/month charges listed above for 1 DVR would give me 3 of them with sat. My MiL went from $115 to $70 (DirecTV), no intro pricing, no missing channels and the DVR is far better than Comcast's. Actually, I don't think she even had a DVR with Comcast.

And I don't think you know what their DVRs do, either. DirecTV even has an internet community that does extra things with beta features and whatever, although it isn't as wide open as Tivo's. Before I dropped DirecTV recently, I had both Tivo and Direct's DVR. Suggestions is the only real DVR feature that Direct did not have, and they added several features Tivo didn't have, like better searching. Personally, I stopped using Suggestions years ago, I would find my own shows, although my wife liked it. But I would find that it would simply begin recording the same tired programs that I was done with, anyway. There's so much filler on cable/sat channels that I didn't need all the junk. I certainly didn't need it repeated every 2 months. Plus, my drive was often full, hardly any space for fluff, anyway.

All the computer features you list are the precise list of which I keep seeing complaints about Tivo as compared with Roku or other media devices. I say hook up a computer, instead. (just check my posting history) Everybody here obviously has computers.

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10628203)
If I had satellite, I'd never be able to watch the Phillies or Flyers. No sale.

Why? Are they on a Comcast channel and they won't deal with the other providers?

Almost, about as, nearly.... The words of someone who settles on less.
I used Tivo for nearly a decade, I'm hardly unaware of its world, but I'm steeped in reality, not fanboyism. I "settled" for less dollars and less crap TV, upgraded to 40Mbps internet, instead. I watch all the same shows as I used to. I used "about" for the reason indicated above. The feature set is different, there are unique positives on both. Unlike cable DVRs, where I have yet to see a single positive.

cpgator 02-07-11 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10628203)
Almost, about as, nearly.... The words of someone who settles on less. :)

Settle for less = using cable. I can't imagine a situation where i would ever go back to comcast.

CRM114 02-07-11 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator (Post 10628343)
Settle for less = using cable. I can't imagine a situation where i would ever go back to comcast.

If you want to watch the Phillies or Flyers, there is no choice but cable. So in this case, one settles for less to get more.

CRM114 02-07-11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 10628288)
Well, I dropped all of it and catch Burn Notice and other "cable" shows on the net.

All the computer features you list are the precise list of which I keep seeing complaints about Tivo as compared with Roku or other media devices. I say hook up a computer, instead. (just check my posting history) Everybody here obviously has computers.

IMO, the only shows worth the time watching are on HBO and Showtime. I watch some sports and PBS and some other general interest shows but never watch any network sitcom nonsense or redundant crime dramas.

And hooking up a computer-based DVR is a giant bore and waste of time to me. Give me a networked home and some Tivos. We are all happy.

Why? Are they on a Comcast channel and they won't deal with the other providers?

The Flyers are owned by Comcast. They give the channel to any cable company but they won't give it to any dish. I don't have Comcast cable but I still get the channel.

Most Phillies games are on the same channel even though they aren't owned by Comcast. Some are on regular cable on a different channel.

I used Tivo for nearly a decade, I'm hardly unaware of its world, but I'm steeped in reality, not fanboyism. I "settled" for less dollars and less crap TV, upgraded to 40Mbps internet, instead. I watch all the same shows as I used to. I used "about" for the reason indicated above. The feature set is different, there are unique positives on both. Unlike cable DVRs, where I have yet to see a single positive.

Sigh. Why when someone truly values a product is it "fanboyism?" That slogan is getting really tired. How can one watch "Boardwalk Empire" on the "net?" Your objective is to spend less money. My objective is to make life as easy as possible. Those two don't always jibe. Sometimes they do. You don't find the TivoHD to be a positive experience. There are millions who do and just because they do, they shouldn't be discarded as "fanboys."

GreenMonkey 02-07-11 05:09 PM

I just moved and tried to price out alternative services. Want as cheap as possible. Ended up with basic cable for $20/mo. Dish and DirectTV have a "$19.99" type plan, but by the time you add DVR fees, HD fees, etc you're looking at $50/mo. Whole home DVR (to do stuff like the Tivos do - namely, transfer recordings between units) costs extra too.

Satellite is only cheaper if you want a bunch of channels, sports, and stuff like that or if you don't want HD and DVR.

My bill for Charter basic, with HD locals, is $20. With satellite, it was HD for life with a contract, or a monthly fee. I can do Charter expanded basic for cheaper than Satellite too by the time they tack on HD, DVR fees, whole house DVR, etc.

Numanoid 02-07-11 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10628422)
How can one watch "Boardwalk Empire" on the "net?"

You seriously don't know?