DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Online Discount Electronics Retailers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/584737-online-discount-electronics-retailers.html)

CRM114 01-19-11 10:33 AM

Online Discount Electronics Retailers

Anyone ever buy anything from "Abe's of Maine?" I'm looking to order a Samsung PN63C7000 and they have a good price. Are they a hard sell site? I remember ordering a video camera from some online retailer at a really low price and they kept calling me trying to add stuff on to the order. A friend of mine had the same experience and when he didn't add stuff on, the product became mysteriously out of stock.

I really don't want to deal with that all. I don't want any overpriced HDMI cables or 3D glasses. I'd just order it from Amazon but they are out of stock.

kayak99 01-19-11 10:38 AM

Re: Online Discount Electronics Retailers

Only dealt with them once, long ago and all went well. Don't remember any hard sell at the time. They've been around a while so they must be doing something right.

Spiky 01-19-11 05:04 PM

resellerratings.com

I always check there for a store I don't know.

Deftones 01-19-11 05:55 PM

abe's of main is a very reputable company.

Numanoid 01-19-11 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 10598048)
resellerratings.com

I always check there for a store I don't know.

Judging by the reviews there, I don't think I would buy from them.

Mr. Salty 01-20-11 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10597196)
I'm looking to order a Samsung PN63C7000 and they have a good price.

I can't find that model listed at Abe's anymore, so I don't know what their price was. But OneCall.com has it for $2,900 (free shipping), and I can vouch that they have outstanding service.

emoxley 01-20-11 06:45 AM

If they aren't a factory authorized retailer for that brand, you won't have any warranty from the manufacturer. If they are authorized, they're probably ok to buy from. I, personally, have never heard of them, so I guess they're no Amazon.com. Good luck!

CRM114 01-21-11 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 10598695)
I can't find that model listed at Abe's anymore, so I don't know what their price was. But OneCall.com has it for $2,900 (free shipping), and I can vouch that they have outstanding service.

Abe's price was like $2399 or something. I don't want to pay more for it than that but they are drying up because of the new models coming out.

CRM114 01-27-11 02:51 PM

That resellerratings.com site has numerous posts of people describing their "up sell" calls from Abe's, just as I suspected. You buy something then they give you a "courtesy call" the next day because obviously you forgot all kinds of extras and you couldn't possibly just want the TV alone. No thanks. Just as I suspected.

dick_grayson 01-27-11 03:50 PM

Is 3d really that important? You can get just as good a tv w/o 3d for about half.

what about:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/index.ph...pn63c7000.html

reseller ratings are pretty good

CRM114 01-28-11 09:39 AM

No, 3D isn't important to me. But all the higher end displays from Panasonic and Samsung are 3D.

East Coast reviews contain the same followup call nonsense to sell you crap you don't need.

DaveNinja 01-28-11 11:24 AM

can you just "accidentally' type in your phone number incorrectly?

BSTNFAN 01-28-11 12:27 PM

Who answers the phone these days? That's why Caller ID and answering machines were invented.

Spiky 01-28-11 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 10612185)
can you just "accidentally' type in your phone number incorrectly?

Nope, places like this will lose/cancel your order. It's a bit of a scam. Recommended to stay away unless price is the absolute most important thing.

$2800 at TigerDirect. $2310 at Electronics Expo through Amazon, although $180 for shipping.

CRM114 01-31-11 08:21 AM

Yeah, they'll "hold" your order until you call them back. I'd gladly pay a premium to get it from Amazon but they don't stock it. I don't know about these other retailers they sell through - none of them seem to offer the bundles that most everyone is offering right now: free 3D blu-ray player and 3-d glasses.

I think Vann's is a straightforward retailer. Might end up going with them.

I know someone in the wholesale business and have an idea what the cost of these TVs are. The cheapo places are making about $300 or so on on one of these but then have to pay to deliver it, that's why they need the add on sales.

Mr. Salty 01-31-11 06:40 PM

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me to take a phone call and say "No, I don't want anything else, thank you" if it means saving a few hundred dollars.

CRM114 02-01-11 08:33 AM

Well, one of their techniques is that the item suddenly gets backordered. And it just paints the wrong picture of a company - one that I wouldn't want shipping my $2500 TV.

Spiky 02-01-11 10:20 AM

One time I purchased something from one of these, in the $1500 range. It was too much of an ordeal and worry. They refused to sell me the full retail package at the price listed, but did sell it for less than anyone else. I won't do it again. Like I said, if saving a couple hundred on an item in the thousands is the most important thing, this is an option.

DrS 02-12-11 11:08 PM

Abes sold me a nice kitchen knife or sharpener quickly and reliably. FWIW.

CRM114 02-14-11 01:01 PM

TV ended up less than the discount joints yesterday on Amazon with white glove delivery. Good things come to those who wait, I guess.