Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Has anyone just upgraded speakers? (Not talking complete system)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a complete HT (7.1 system) set up with a Harman Kardon receiver for dvd's but just for TV watching that seems excessive so I rarely use it for that purpose. Yet TV speakers themselves are sometimes inadequate.

Does anyone just upsgrade the TV speakers in a smaller fashion and if so, how? Soundbar? Powered/non-powered speakers?
Old 01-14-11, 11:35 AM

Re: Has anyone just upgraded speakers? (Not talking complete system)

In the past I've hooked up computer speakers to my tv. I had a 4.1 system and a set of bose computer speakers both powered. I agree the surround sound system is a little much for TV.
Old 01-14-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

No.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just turn down the volume on your surround system? Or leave the volume up and turn down the sub? Or some receivers even have a setting for lowering certain levels (like bass) while keeping the CC at normal/regular volumes.

Why do you say "excessive"? Do you have a baby or wife you don't want to disturb in a close by room? Do you think you wear the H/K set up out?

Yes, in the living room, I occasionally watch TV without the surround on. Using just the TV. But wouldn't spend money on improving TV speakers. If I want more (and often I do) I just flip on the surround set up. It works well with the prime time shows like CSI, etc. Actually it works fantastic and enjoy watching TV with that. My CC (even tho inexpensive) and a lot better than the TV. But then I enjoy watching them on my projector as well.

If your not liking how your surround speakers are sounding, maybe time to upgrade?
Old 01-14-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never use the TV sound. Everything goes thru the reciever. The only thing is with some channels I have to turn the sub off. HGTV is bad with all the bass they put out.
Old 01-14-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
No.

Why do you say "excessive"?
I'd just like better sound than ordinary TV speakers but really don't want to power the system up. I think watching the news, weather or any typical TV program through the system is overkill. My surround speakers are great, for their purpose.
Old 01-14-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kayak99
I'd just like better sound than ordinary TV speakers but really don't want to power the system up. I think watching the news, weather or any typical TV program through the system is overkill. My surround speakers are great, for their purpose.
Again why is it overkill? Your not going to hurt your system by watching the news with them. Are you saying it sounds worse than your TV speakers? Do you think using your H/K will hurt your electricity bill?

I'll watch a football game in surround sound but leave it on for the after game shows and news. I think it sounds better, a lot better than my TV speakers.
Old 01-14-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again why is it overkill? Your not going to hurt your system by watching the news with them. Are you saying it sounds worse than your TV speakers? Do you think using your H/K will hurt your electricity bill?

I'll watch a football game in surround sound but leave it on for the after game shows and news. I think it sounds better, a lot better than my TV speakers.
You're kidding right? Does Katie Couric sound much better in amped up surround sound?

That would be like me taking a walk listening to my ipod on my Sennheiser 600's with a pocket amp, rather than a set of Shure earphones!

I'm happy for you that you listen to football players grunting in surround sound and Jersey Shore on steroids but please, lets stick with my question rather than assessing my listening style. I'd like to slightly inprove my TV speakers. Are you able to contribute?
Old 01-14-11, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're kidding right? Does Katie Couric sound much better in amped up surround sound?

That would be like me taking a walk listening to my ipod on my Sennheiser 600's with a pocket amp, rather than a set of Shure earphones!

I'm happy for you that you listen to football players grunting in surround sound and Jersey Shore on steroids but please, lets stick with my question rather than assessing my listening style. I'd like to slightly inprove my TV speakers. Are you able to contribute?
I'll take Sdallnct's side on this one. To answer your question, I'd say he contributes to the forum quite splendidly on a regular basis. Thanks for trying. He also said just because you have the surround system, it doesn't mean that you have to turn it up to 11 just because you have it. You already have a system, yet you want to spend more money in order to have an additional, yet lesser setup? The whole question falls somewhere in the spectrum between confusing and ridiculous...
Old 01-14-11, 03:40 PM

It's a personal preference.

Not sure how much you want to spend but these are $150 for 2speakers and a sub. These will be better than TV speakers.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+...&skuId=9382232
Old 01-14-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SubZeri
I'll take Sdallnct's side on this one. To answer your question, I'd say he contributes to the forum quite splendidly on a regular basis. Thanks for trying. He also said just because you have the surround system, it doesn't mean that you have to turn it up to 11 just because you have it. You already have a system, yet you want to spend more money in order to have an additional, yet lesser setup? The whole question falls somewhere in the spectrum between confusing and ridiculous...
Does anyone just upsgrade the TV speakers in a smaller fashion and if so, how? Soundbar? Powered/non-powered speakers?
Wow, if you feel that question falls somewhere between confusing and ridiculous perhaps you need to stop reading threads here! It's quite clear, depending on what you're smoking, and as far as ridiculous, well I'll not grace your statement with an answer.

Again, I do not want to turn on the system each time I want to watch the news, etc. Just prefer a better set of speakers than are installed the TV. How much plainer do you want?

Lets just hope you ask more important questions.

Originally Posted by Jane2001
It's a personal preference.

Not sure how much you want to spend but these are $150 for 2speakers and a sub. These will be better than TV speakers.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+...&skuId=9382232
Thanks, I'd prefer not to add a sub.

Last edited by kayak99; 01-14-11 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I'd prefer not to add a sub.
Here are a couple other options without a sub, and both are just under $100.

These are almost identical to the ones I've used (as mentioned before). Still use them (they are in our SUV) and have done really well over the 6years that I've had them.
http://www.onecall.com/product/Bose-...aker/_/R-33400

Here are some JBL's, I like this brand better than Bose (I got the Bose as a gift).
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Premium-Pe...5046971&sr=8-3
Old 01-14-11, 05:27 PM

Out of curiosity...what are your audio outputs?
Old 01-14-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe you don't have your system set up correctly or it is not working correctly. Least that is what is sounds like.

If I'm watching the news and the only thing on is Katie Couric talking, yet I have her "amped up surround sound" her voice comes from the center speaker which of course is positioned right under my TV (or above my screen in my theater room). She doesn't "echo" or is "split" to come out of all 5 (well in the case of theater room 6) speakers.

And since most every CC is better than TV speakers, than YES it sounds better (not to mention more control).

Something is wrong somewhere. Either in your set up or in your understanding of surround sound. Or so it sounds anyway.

When I watch a football game in HD it is broadcast in 5.1. And sounds awesome! You can hear the cheering in the surround speakers while the guys talking come out of the center speaker.

There is no difference in Movies. Again assuming everything is set up correctly, when an actor talks it will come out of the center channel speaker. It is mainly the effects that come from the surround speakers. Unless of course there is someone talking "behind you" and such.

This is why in most (many) say the center channel is one of the most important speakers and needs to be of quality.

Another example I just thought of; my daughter like to watch Glee. When they are talking or solo singing it comes form the CC channel. If group singing or someone running around the sides or from behind than it comes out of the other speakers.

BTW, there are a lot of people that have no choice but to use a surround system. There are many "monitor" displays and of course projectors that don't have speakers at all. So it is always "amped up surround sound" (tho I'm not 100% sure what that means...LOL)

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-14-11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does your TV have audio outputs? Are they powered?
Are you buying another receiver? If so, surround or stereo?
What is your budget?
What size do you want? Do you have the room for both the CC form your surround system and another speaker?
Are you will to take apart your TV to see what size speakers they are and how easy to replace them?
Old 01-15-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Overkill? And your preferred solution is adding additional speakers? Are you sure that isn't also overkill?

I have had this exact conversation many times. I have never understood the "power the system up" or "ordinary TV" comments. All HDTV is in Dolby Digital, did you know that? What's to power up? The amp in your receiver or the amp in computer speakers or a soundbar, same difference. Program a remote and it doesn't even require additional button presses.

Is it, "OMG, I'm using a real speaker for the news. It doesn't deserve that, let's go buy some Bose!" Or what? You don't want it loud? Turn it down, better speakers will be more clear and play simple voice better at any volume. Of course it's not all about blasting action movies, good speakers are just good speakers.

Oh, and dude, this is uncalled for:
Are you able to contribute?
Old 01-15-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Does anyone just upsgrade the TV speakers in a smaller fashion?
No
Old 01-15-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you think a football game sounds good in surround sound, try unplugging your center speaker. Then it REALLY sounds good.
Old 01-15-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the OP is the perfect candidate for Bose. Actually he should probably get a set of speakers for every channel he watches.
Old 01-15-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

If you don't want to go the "effort" of turning on your receiver and setting it to the right input when you just want to watch TV, then I recommend getting a Logitech Harmony remote to take care of that for you. One button press and you're set.

In my opinion, adding even more speakers to your room that already has 7 would be the epitome of overkill.

Last edited by kefrank; 01-15-11 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-15-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Most ridiculous fucking thread I've ever read on here.
Old 01-15-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahh the intelligence of DVD talk.

I feel my "contribute" comment was appropriate given the remarks answering questions not asked.

arminius - another intelligent country heard from!

kefrank, I have a Harmony One, thanks, and I was thinking of something as simple as a small sound bar for vanilla TV viewing, not adding a bunch more speakers.

hdtv00, yes, I guess you would know

My question was simple - the speakers on the 2002 Samsung plasma I have had for about eight years suck. Reviews I've read say a lot of the speakers on the new sets suck. Rather than have to boot up the HK and run sound through the 7.1, or even the center speaker each time I want to watch TV, I was asking whether anyone ever somehow upgraded their TV speakers. Guess that question was too difficult.

It's funny, I stopped at BB and Costco today looking at new plasma's. Asked the same question at each store and even the less informed at BB had helpful opinions and suggestions. Apparently I was not the first to ask the question.

Good time to close the thread.

Thanks for those who tried to answer.
Old 01-15-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You do realize people are here to help...don't you?

Lets see no one at DVD Talk (on the Home Theater forum) or BB or Costco could help you. Yet you think everyone else is off. Hummm....you want some real fun? Go over to AVS and post the question (j/k...don't!).

Back to helping. Not a single person misunderstood what you were literally asking. No matter how many times you say it. But to give a proper response, people including myself tried to understand WHY you would ask such a question.

For example, people often ask about how to "tame" their surround system due to being in an apartment or new baby or wife goes to bed early. But that didn't seem to be your case.

You only response to WHY you ask this has been "I don't want to boot up the HK run sound through the 7.1 or even the center speaker". Yet your talking about adding additional speakers. So you want a 8.1 or 9.1 set up but only run 1.0 or 2.0 at times? Surely you can understand why we (or anyone) would question that. You don't want to turn on the H/K yet you will have to turn on what ever amp you will be driving these "news only" speakers with. Or if they are powered, you will have to turn on the speakers. Again, surely you can understand why someone (everyone) is asking how this is better. You say you don't want sound coming out of your CC speaker even. You do know there is nothing special about a CC. In many systems it is just another speaker (sure sometimes it is shielded). You don't want to use that speaker, but want another speaker? And you don't understand why we might ask about it.

But you will note I did ask if you were willing to crack open your TV to see what speakers were in there for possible upgrade. Would you? Have you? I also asked what type of audio outputs you had on your TV. If you have an amp built into your TV, than indeed you might have some options. I doubt you will, but possible.

And talk about condescending thanks to those who "tried" to answer. Wow...

Has it even possibly occurred to you that your not providing enough information or what your asking for doesn't exist? Course based on the limited info you provided, I have no idea why it would exist.
Old 01-15-11, 06:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread closed at OP's request.