DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Will a Region B Blu-ray player work in the US? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/584536-will-region-b-blu-ray-player-work-us.html)

JJE-187 01-13-11 05:12 PM

Will a Region B Blu-ray player work in the US?

Can I buy a region B blu-ray player and hook it up to my HDTV and play any region B blu's?

DarthVong 01-13-11 05:33 PM

Re: Will a Region B Blu-ray player work in the US?

I would think so, but if any of the special features are in SD I still think that would be a problem for your TV to show (PAL vs. NTSC)

JJE-187 01-13-11 06:02 PM

Special Features aren't that big of a deal to me. I am mostly looking for a player that I can hook up out of the box and watch region B blu-ray's on. I am only interested in the movie anyway. i don't have time for special features much anymore. Anybody know a good place to buy a region B blu-ray player that will ship to the US? I dont wanna spend over $200 if possible

Steve Phillips 01-14-11 10:10 AM

Why not just buy a player which is compatible with all regions? I have one that not only has PAL-NTSC conversion for DVDs, but plays Blu's from any region. You can get one for $120-$150 easily. Just Google "Region Free Blu-ray" players and you'll find many US dealers, they are also on Amazon and eBay daily.

JJE-187 01-14-11 05:32 PM

Thanks Steve. Do you have one that plays without entering a code evrytime i wanna watch a region B movie? I just wanna put the disc in and play it

Mr. Salty 01-14-11 05:49 PM

I think the way Blu-rays are designed, there is no "region free" setting. The player has to be set to A, B or C, so you have to change the region. It's just pushing a button, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Dan 01-14-11 06:03 PM

Mr. Salty is correct.
Even region-free software like AnyDVD HD attempts to simplify the process by asking which region a disc is before it allows your playback software (like TMT) to load it up.

JJE-187 01-15-11 05:32 PM

So my original idea of having a region B player is the only "plug & play" way to watch RB Blu's? I don't mind having another blu-ray player in my Home Theater so if anyone knows if I can use a region b blu-ray player here in the US please let me know. I am aware that the Uk uses different plug-in or something for the power and thats what I am concerned with.

gmanca 01-15-11 06:39 PM

Most Blu-Ray players that I know of do PAL to NTSC converting via the ASIC so you can do SD dvd conversion.

Spiky 01-15-11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 10591540)
So my original idea of having a region B player is the only "plug & play" way to watch RB Blu's? I don't mind having another blu-ray player in my Home Theater so if anyone knows if I can use a region b blu-ray player here in the US please let me know. I am aware that the Uk uses different plug-in or something for the power and thats what I am concerned with.

Well, there would still be the step of paying attention to which region the disc you are about to play is, A or B, and then using the proper player. I guess it depends on which process you prefer. You aren't going to get around an extra step or two to have multiregion BDs.

Power should be ok, just check the specs to make sure it fits into the USA 120v system, most do these days. Adapters are cheap for the physical plug, or you could just cut off the plug and splice in an American plug.

manicsounds 01-16-11 03:08 AM

Things to consider:
If the machine has correct voltage for playback, and if your TV PAL playback ability, or if the player has a PAL/NTSC converter

Giles 01-16-11 11:10 AM

^ or even the right plug (to the wall) configurement

Jay G. 01-16-11 10:07 PM

Then there's the cost of shipping it over.

JJE-187 01-16-11 11:03 PM

Would it be possible to buy a Region Free US player and set it to region B and have it stay that way?

I have a PS3 and am just looking for a good region b player so I can import some of the films in Region B that dont have Region A releases. I have 1 or 2 empty HDMI plugs left on my TV so another player isn't going to bother me in the slightest and I have the space for another blu-ray player

Dan 01-17-11 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 10593819)
Would it be possible to buy a Region Free US player and set it to region B and have it stay that way?

Absolutely. I don't use one of those players myself, but my understanding is that you just enter a code in the player to change the region whenever you need to. But, if you leave it to Region B, then you should never need to switch it again, unless you decide to start using it for Region C or A titles.

X 01-17-11 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 10594130)
Absolutely. I don't use one of those players myself, but my understanding is that you just enter a code in the player to change the region whenever you need to. But, if you leave it to Region B, then you should never need to switch it again, unless you decide to start using it for Region C or A titles.

That's the way my Oppo works. It stays in the last-set region until you change it to another one. All you have to do is press a 1, 2, or 3 on the remote when it's off and it changes region to A, B, or C and turns on the unit.

JJE-187 01-17-11 06:50 PM

Which Oppo do you have X? Is it hard to modify it to Region B?

X 01-17-11 06:57 PM

I have the BDP-80, but it's not made anymore. I added a $25 circuit board (from eBay) that made it region-free. It took about 15 minutes to open the unit and install it.

JJE-187 01-18-11 06:51 PM

Can someone recommend me a good easy to use Region Free blu-ray player that can be switched to Region B and left there?