Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Finally got my Toshiba CZ32V51 and love it. Does anyone know...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Finally got my Toshiba CZ32V51 and love it. Does anyone know...

Old 09-07-00, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to access the maintenance menu so I can adjust for anamorphic dvds?

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-08-00, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
(Please read through this long-winded procedure so you have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish in each steps. I've tried doing it step-by-step, but calibrating a TV is a bit of art and procedure, so you gotta go with the flow sometimes)

For reference material, give these webpages a try (open up both in different browser windows and read through the pertinent stuff)
http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/how2adj.html

(This page deals with adjusting TV in general, but has specific details for the Toshiba).
http://members.tripod.com/~remotewin...1h95codes.html

(This page deals with the Toshiba TP61H95 - which has way more parameters than a smaller sized TV, but many of the parameters listed will be the same as on your set. At
least it'll define the abbreviations.) You may still want to get a service manual.

It's a good idea to put all the TV's color controls to the middle (on the middle square, there's about 7-8 clicks, so make sure you're 4 clicks into the middle square to be right in the middle for Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, (maybe Sharpness too). This will make sure your neutral point is what you want your color/contrast/brightness to be calibrated to is consistently in the middle and from there you can deviate as you like, and get back to the middle when you are done.

I also recommend piping in a DVD movie into either the s-video or component inputs just for having a good source to use for fleshtones. Also: you can use a Video
Essential or Avia DVD (I like Avia).

Oh, before doing any squeezing, pop in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, 16x9 enhanced DVD

The instructions below (for service mode) are detailed in the 2nd URL listed above:

1) Press mute on the remote control one time.

2) press the mute button again on the remote and hold it.

3) While doing step 2 press the menu button on the TV. (An "S" should appear in the upper right corner.)

4) Press menu on the TV again.

5) You should a menu appear on the upper left corner. It's just 2 lines, one for the parameter, one for the parameter's value in HEX.

Use the channel button on the remote to change the parameter line items.

Use the volume button on the remote to change the values.

[b]WRITE DOWN THE ORIGINAL VALUES!!!!!
Old 09-09-00, 11:59 AM

THANK YOU! I have been looking around everywhere and couldn't find anything. YOU DA MAN, PATMAN!

All I can say is WOW! WOW! Everything is so clear and crisp! I'm using three cheapo composite video cables hooked into the component video until I recieve my Monster Cables from Amazon.com. I can only imagine what I can expect with quality cables. Anyone who is thinking about getting a tv capable of 16x9 tweaking will have no regrets! I guarentee it(heh, how much of an actual guarentee can you expect from a college student?)!

I have always had one peeve with dvds and its was the nasty downconversion. It has always bugged me to death. I always use one movie to test dvd players for downconversion quality, the intro scene to Star Trek Insurrection. It was an "OK" movie, but you couldn't get a better tool for testing downconversion if your tried to make one. The opeing scene shows children playing in a big bundle of hay and there are artifacts all over the place. Also there is a scene where the camera is panning across dozens of roofs and artifacts are all over.

This TV has completely fixed any problems I ever had with my HT. Well worth the price.

I don't know if I am lucky or what, but I only had to adjust two of my settings under the service menu. The HIT and WID. I am going to mess with the colors as soon as I get my copy of Avia.

Now I'm off to watch my whole dvd collection all over again!

Thanks dude!

btw: I know this might be hard to believe, but I actually like the picture better on my tv better than my brother 32" Wega. He has avia and had everything configured correctly and it looked great, but it always had a.....sort of crisp blocky feel to it. The picture of this looks perfect except for the very slight grey linewhere the HIT setting exposed. I'm not complaining though!
Old 09-09-00, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What a great post Patman, fully entertaining!
Old 09-10-00, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Y'all are all welcomed!

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs