Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
TV Stand?

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good TV stand for a 47" HDTV? The one I had from Target bowed in the middle quite a bit....I'd like to spend between 100-200 dollars for one that will last me a while....the ones I saw at Big Lots kind of sucked and didn't look sturdy enough. I think my TV weighs 90 lbs as well....Do people prefer Best Buy or other electronics stores? Thanks OP!
Old 01-06-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TV Stand?

What do you mean by stand? Is this a recent flat screen TV? You can pick up a wall mount for under $40 that will be perfectly safe for that TV. Or there are plenty of furniture-type options, too, although probably not too many under $200.
Old 01-06-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up getting one from Target....with a couple GC's had it for $140.

http://www.target.com/Traditional-TV...n&frombrowse=0
Old 01-06-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've exceeded the max tv width! Chaos is bound to ensue.
Old 01-06-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well it's funny you mention that....two things I didn't get....

Here's the description

TV Stand with Serpentine front and beveled glass doors. Two adjustable center shelves, one adjustable shelf behind each side door. Will hold up to a 47" Flat Panel TV, maximum weight 135 lbs. Cherry finish.

And here's the "features"

Maximum Weight Capacity: 70.0 Lb.
Maximum TV Dimensions: 46 "
Old 01-06-11, 07:40 PM

If you have Costco/Sam's Club and Fry's Marketplace near you,you might want to take a look at them. We have bought from both in the past and make some pretty good stands for a decent price.
Old 01-06-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
You've exceeded the max tv width! Chaos is bound to ensue.
not only that but he'll have to share a prison cell with people who rip the labels off mattresses
Old 01-06-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
Well it's funny you mention that....two things I didn't get....

Here's the description

TV Stand with Serpentine front and beveled glass doors. Two adjustable center shelves, one adjustable shelf behind each side door. Will hold up to a 47" Flat Panel TV, maximum weight 135 lbs. Cherry finish.

And here's the "features"

Maximum Weight Capacity: 70.0 Lb.
Maximum TV Dimensions: 46 "
There is a reason that quality products cost more. This is one of them. Frankly, I wouldn't attach my 90# TV to that.

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
If you have Costco/Sam's Club and Fry's Marketplace near you,you might want to take a look at them. We have bought from both in the past and make some pretty good stands for a decent price.
I believe Costco has a nice stand with shelves for $199 right now. And more expensive ones, too. Furniture doesn't last long there, get it while it's hot.

This isn't the one in the stores right now, but it is another option.
Old 01-07-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

The first thing is stay away from anything that says "TV Stand".

Just get something like buffet for a dinning room. Or even a dresser for the bedroom. One that has the appropriate doors. Or heck, if I was really in a pinch, go to a kitchen cabinet warehouse and pick up a couple of base cabinets. Stain them yourself and add shelves as needed.

Ever notice that if you go to say Target to their home section to look at throw blankets they are like $5.99? But if you look at the "home theater blankets" they are $19.99? Same applies to everything. "Home Theater" lighting is 5X expensive as lighting. Same with furniture. They know if your looking for home theater anything you have money. So they are trying to get it.

In our living room we ended up with a very large piece. Made of heavy wood. It ran about $300 but has nothing to do with home theater or TV. I wanted to cut holes in the top to hide all wires, but wife thought at some point we might want to use it somewhere else. So I didn't. It even has locking doors as I think it was designed as a sort of china cabinet/buffet. I drilled a few holes in the back for wiring and set to go.
Old 01-07-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the overly expensive but worth it Salamander stand.
Old 01-07-11, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
There is a reason that quality products cost more. This is one of them. Frankly, I wouldn't attach my 90# TV to that.

I believe Costco has a nice stand with shelves for $199 right now. And more expensive ones, too. Furniture doesn't last long there, get it while it's hot.

This isn't the one in the stores right now, but it is another option.
Spiky is right,they do go fast.
Here is our current stand that we bought at Sam's Club(or Costco,I forget) for no more than $199(might have been a little cheaper with coupon at the time). It's holding up a 151,EMO Amp and a MA GS Center with no problem at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26517849@N04/3893639406/