Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I tried playing HD-DVDs for the first time and the error message-disc is not dvd format appears. It plays dvds ok but won't play HD DVDs. Don't have an instruction booklet. Whats the problem?
Old 01-05-11, 08:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player problem

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I tried playing HD-DVDs for the first time and the error message-disc is not dvd format appears. It plays dvds ok but won't play HD DVDs. Don't have an instruction booklet. Whats the problem?
probably needs a firmware upgrade
Old 01-05-11, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
The last time I tried to update my A35 about 3 weeks ago,it wouldn't log on. It might not have anymore support for them anymore
Old 01-05-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

I can't help but wonder why on earth you are just now trying a HD movie? Or did you just buy a set up off Craigs List or something?

I'm still using two HD DVD players. One in media room, one in living room. Both are used for HD DVD's and as main DVD player. They continue to work great!
Old 01-05-11, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I can't help but wonder why on earth you are just now trying a HD movie? Or did you just buy a set up off Craigs List or something?

I'm still using two HD DVD players. One in media room, one in living room. Both are used for HD DVD's and as main DVD player. They continue to work great!
Sdallnct which player do you have? The last movie I played was The Grinch That Stole Christmas and it froze up on me. I can't remember at the exact point but I did try to check for an update but just got an error message.
I'm sorry to say I don't use it that much anymore because my Oppo does a better job of upconverting and I have gradually upgraded the ones that I have to Blu Ray(only if I find them for around $7-$5 or so).
It's a great player and I wish HD DVD would have won the war!
Old 01-06-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Sdallnct which player do you have? The last movie I played was The Grinch That Stole Christmas and it froze up on me. I can't remember at the exact point but I did try to check for an update but just got an error message.
I'm sorry to say I don't use it that much anymore because my Oppo does a better job of upconverting and I have gradually upgraded the ones that I have to Blu Ray(only if I find them for around $7-$5 or so).
It's a great player and I wish HD DVD would have won the war!
I've got the lessor expensive models, the A3. I have one in media room and one in the living room. I've yet to even bother with a FW upgrade. I've only bought one HD movie recently with the lower cost of BD movies.

Actually, now that you mention it, I need to try that movie. I found a HD Harry Potter for like a $2.00 so I grabbed it. I've upgraded few of my HD movies to BD since both players are working so well. I recently watch all three of the Matrix in HD. Very nice.
Old 01-06-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Just tried one of the earliest HD DVD movies-The Fugitive-and it won't play. So if it won't play discs that came out before the player did-doubt if its firmware.
Old 01-06-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ever want to try a firmware upgrade, I'm sure you can hunt down the source file somewhere. I have a few burned on disc, sent directly from Toshiba (my burner was acting up at the time, and they mailed them out for free).
Old 01-06-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Called Toshiba. They are sending a firmware update. They couldn't answer why it won't play the older HD-DVD.
Old 01-06-11, 07:42 PM

Called Toshiba. They are sending a firmware update. They couldn't answer why it won't play the older HD-DVD.
What phone number did you call?
Old 01-06-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
What phone number did you call?
Toshiba's ph. # 1-800-319-6684 . Have the players serial # available at the time of the call.
Old 01-06-11, 09:46 PM

Toshiba's ph. # 1-800-319-6684 . Have the players serial # available at the time of the call.
Cool thanks
Old 01-09-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have pretty good instructions on line. You can create your own disc if you have a DVD burner. Most I have read is that it is quick, easy and painless.

As mentioned, I haven't bothered as both units have played everything I currently have in HD and all DVD I've thrown at it. I did recently buy one of the Harry Potters on HD for $2.00 somewhere. I need to try that.
Old 01-10-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Toshiba sent the wrong firmware update disc. Hopefully,they put the right one in the mail.
Old 01-13-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tried the new firmware update. Still doesn't play.Since I don't have an instruction booklet, Is there anything too do with the set up that would prevent it from playing? I know one thing-I would never recommend Toshiba products. Don't know how they or RCA stay in business. Had 4 Toshiba products(original dvd player,wouldn't play some dvds,(2) 5 -dvd changers-won't play dvr's worth a damn and then the HD-DVD player,won't play HD-DVDs,who would've thunk). O for 4 isn't a very good pct.
Old 01-13-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Did you buy the unit used? (asking this since you don't have the booklet) Maybe it never worked to begin with.

And I still have the Toshiba DVD player I bought years ago. Always played beautifully and the only disc it would not play was one that got recalled. I still have it hooked up so I can still play my DVDAudio discs since going blu.
Old 01-13-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bought it off Amazon Marketplace. The guy said it was new,which it wasn't because it had an Office Depot sticker on it. Its probably too late to call Amazon about it. Bought it over 6 months ago. Just tried playing HD-DVDs a week ago.